Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

2017 - 1 Or 2 Fixed Race Nights And When?

The fixed race night will be on a Wednesday ;)[/quotedon't think so John Cook is saying Thursday/Friday in speedway star a few weeks back

As everyone knows Matt Ford runs speedway and Poole race night is Wednesday so I bet that will be the night chosen plus Jon Cook is not the brightest of people so I don't trust what he says anyway.

Denmark mainly rides Wednesday, and I am sure most people would consider it a stronger league than Swedish 2nd division. As the Elite league is trying to attract a better standard of rider I would suggest Thursday would be preferable over Wednesday.

I would tend to agree with you too.

The Swedish 2nd division can be strong because senior riders can double down however it's rare they put out a line up with all the top boys on the same day.

The Danish team strength is under rated IMHO

I think it can be made to work very well if two race nights are chosen and those nights are Thursday & Friday. Not every Thursday & Friday but these two nights can accommodate weeks when there are GP's and avoids clashes with Scandinavian meetings as well as being relatively easy on riders travel planning. Not everyone is going to be pleased with whatever is finalized but eventually they will have the choice of going with what is best or facing the consequence of dropping out of the EL.

I think it can be made to work very well if two race nights are chosen and those nights are Thursday & Friday. Not every Thursday & Friday but these two nights can accommodate weeks when there are GP's and avoids clashes with Scandinavian meetings as well as being relatively easy on riders travel planning. Not everyone is going to be pleased with whatever is finalized but eventually they will have the choice of going with what is best or facing the consequence of dropping out of the EL.

I think Wednesday/Thursday or Thursday/Friday are the obvious/commonsense choices so the best riders can fly in for 2 matches and then fly out again. we then just need to see the PL adopt any nights other than the ones chosen for the EL and I will be impressed, a way forward, leagues accommodating each other for the benefit of the sport in the UK, and a new rule book perhaps.

I would like to think it can happen but I am not holding my breath.

At the risk of repeating myself it will never happen for two reasons.............other stadium users and local authority restrictions............

RP

At the risk of repeating myself it will never happen for two reasons.............other stadium users and local authority restrictions............

RP

BSPA are discussing it so who knows!

• Like 1

RP

It will happen and it will be one night but one meeting moved for Sky.

There has to be a top level of racing and the Elite needs to be able to accommodate the best riders in the world if they wish to ride here and being one night would mean quite a few will come back to race in Britain, especially if it's a fixture list of 14-18 meetings and not 28 on various nights.

Without a League that can track the top riders you will get riders developing to a certain level and need to progress to a higher level and leave British Speedway like Tai Woffinden, Nicki Petersen, Greg Hancock etc who need a regular set fixture list.

Britain is at present starting to get some decent young riders.come through like Robert Lambert, Jason Garrity etc who like Tai would love to carry on racing here but time and money prevents them from riding on various race nights here and they too will leave .... if they reach that level.

RP

The first may prove an insurmountable problem, but I can't see where the second is a problem. Local authorities (excepting Swale?) could not reasonably refuse a change of race night unless there was a significant increased in the number of meetings, and I don't think that is being suggested.

Are you assuming Sittingbourne will be in the Elite League, or have you identified a specific issue somewhere else?

Edited by arnieg

Might be time to tailor the clubs to the EL rather than the other way round.

• Like 2

The first may prove an insurmountable problem, but I can't see where the second is a problem. Local authorities (excepting Swale?) could not reasonably refuse a change of race night unless there was a significant increased in the number of meetings, and I don't think that is being suggested.

Are you assuming Sittingbourne will be in the Elite League, or have you identified a specific issue somewhere else?

I don't believe either are insurmountable. With two race nights to choose from, clubs will have the flexibility to negotiation with the other stadium users. As for local authorities, like you, I think that is a red herring. There will be no increase in the frequency, simply a change in race nights.

• Like 1