British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
1 valve

2017 - 1 Or 2 Fixed Race Nights And When?

woz01, on 16 Feb 2016 - 3:54 PM, said:

Spot on.

Really don't think that is the case. They dont 'need' the busy schedule that the EL has at the minute because Poland and Sweden pays well enough but I think if the EL was run Wed and Thurs or Thurs and some Fridays they would ride over here.

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this one .. Do you think Kings Lynn or Leicester would have been struggling to sign top quality riders if money was no object ? I Keep reading on many threads about what riders demands are eg Vans, Workshops , Mechanics etc . They would still demand these things whatever race night they come up with !

what happens to clubs with a fixed race nights in the EL or PL (by that I mean tenants not landlords) would they have to close or go NL ?

I am not against the idea just trying to flesh things out

Edited by ekimba
  • Like 1

Any attempt to have fixed nights whether it be one night or two is all about enticing back the top world class riders that have departed.

Poland this year have suddenly declared a number of Fridays as league meetings. I assume that the Grand prix is on the Saturday.

Whatever happens , I sincerely hope that a squad system is thrown out of any thinking for the future.

Polish Friday meetings are not on GP weekends

ATM we have all 5 days being used for the EL aside from Sunday and Tuesday for Poland and Sweden

It doesn't sound plausible to move to 1 or 2 days but in respect of EL clubs showing some movement I actually don't think we are to far away.

I'd argue the days would be Thursday and Friday in which case Poole/Leicster and Wolves will have to move. That's less than half the league. If said clubs don't want to move then they need to be looking at their own end and the failure to see the bigger picture.

Of course the biggest issue will be the PL. I'm not sure how you would get around that, other than binning the DU rule and hoping 1-2 nights will bring enough riders back off the continent to subsidise that.

It should be a simple thing but it only takes one or two clubs to stand firm and the whole thing falls down

• Like 1

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this one .. Do you think Kings Lynn or Leicester would have been struggling to sign top quality riders if money was no object ? I Keep reading on many threads about what riders demands are eg Vans, Workshops , Mechanics etc . They would still demand these things whatever race night they come up with !

Yep we will agree to disagree. Of course they wouldn't be struggling if money was no object but I'm quite sure if it was set race nights then they wouldn't be struggling for riders anyway, Iversen would be at Kings Lynn for example.

Edited by woz01

Yep we will agree to disagree. Of course they wouldn't be struggling if money was no object but I'm quite sure if it was set race nights then they wouldn't be struggling for riders anyway, Iversen would be at Kings Lynn for example.

Why would NKI be at Kings Lynn, if it was fixed race nights?

It's a money thing, pay him more than his Polish club, and he'll dump them instead..... Simples!!

• Like 2

If you have Monday and Thursday you still have riders flying in from Poland to ride Monday, back out to Sweden on Tuesday back over here on Thursday then off to Travel to GP, u21, GP qualifiers and whatever else on Friday, with no time to prepare for the big ones. Very few if any likely to bite that one, apart from those who want to be here anyway.

If the reason for fixed race nights is simply to avoid d/u riders I can't see sufficient numbers of punters turning out on a Monday just to see their own second strings instead of guests. Admittedly the use of guests has to be addressed but the bottom line is the second strings are not really the ones that put numbers on the gate.

It's certainly not an easy solution!

Sensibility would be consecutive nights like Thursday and Friday.

I just don't see Friday being an option but of course i could be wrong!

Having 2 nights like Monday and Thursday could still work with a squad system as the number ones (and squad) can share roles so one could do the Monday and the other the Thursday.

It's going to be a lot of changes next year but we have to hope that the riders will come all the same!

Why would NKI be at Kings Lynn, if it was fixed race nights?

It's a money thing, pay him more than his Polish club, and he'll dump them instead..... Simples!!

Because he'd know exactly where he will be riding on what day week in week out. Iversen has rode here for years so doubt its about money for him, more about what he thinks is best for him to become world champion. Coventry Bees for example had 5 meetings in 12 days then zero meetings in 12 or so days, riders dont want that imbalance. I really don't think riders would drop Poland even if they paid less as its one meeting a week.

• Like 1

It's certainly not an easy solution!

Sensibility would be consecutive nights like Thursday and Friday.

I just don't see Friday being an option but of course i could be wrong!

Having 2 nights like Monday and Thursday could still work with a squad system as the number ones (and squad) can share roles so one could do the Monday and the other the Thursday.

It's going to be a lot of changes next year but we have to hope that the riders will come all the same!

I am not sure there will necessarily be many more foreign riders than are here already. Riders like Freddie Lindgren and Hans Andersen have an undoubted commitment to British Speedwáy but do we really want the likes of Jepsen Jensen, the Pawlickis or THJ back with their ( lack of ) commitment?

Job sharing means the same outlay in bikes and fixed overheads for half the income. I can see some of them coming with bikes not in the same fettle as the ones they ride in Poland/Sweden and therefore not scoring at the same level, plus we have seen how some them don't need much if an excuse to go awol.

The only real solution is to get more home based riders up to a decent heatleader level. Scott and Bomber won't be around forever and there are not many coming along to replace them at the moment. The situation is being addressed belatedly but it will be a few years yet before we have 3or 4 Craig Cooks filling heatleader slots. That really is the nub of the problem IMO.

I am not sure there will necessarily be many more foreign riders than are here already. Riders like Freddie Lindgren and Hans Andersen have an undoubted commitment to British Speedwáy but do we really want the likes of Jepsen Jensen, the Pawlickis or THJ back with their ( lack of ) commitment?

Job sharing means the same outlay in bikes and fixed overheads for half the income. I can see some of them coming with bikes not in the same fettle as the ones they ride in Poland/Sweden and therefore not scoring at the same level, plus we have seen how some them don't need much if an excuse to go awol.

The only real solution is to get more home based riders up to a decent heatleader level. Scott and Bomber won't be around forever and there are not many coming along to replace them at the moment. The situation is being addressed belatedly but it will be a few years yet before we have 3or 4 Craig Cooks filling heatleader slots. That really is the nub of the problem IMO.

We certainly need to work on improving our own but that's a separate argument for next year.

It will be interesting to see how the job share role works as competitive equipment is absolutely vital.

I'd be happy to see the likes of MJJ, THJ back in the UK because the amount of meetings they ride in will be more on our terms than theirs.

And maybe we might just see the real abilities given they only have a set amount of meetings to race in instead of them picking and choosing to suit them instead of their UK clubs.

Looks like it's happening anyway.

Hinted that it will be 2 nights by CVS and given that Lynn have moved to a Thursday I guess that is one of them.

Makes sense to keep Monday as the other, given the SKY deal.

Doubt it. More likely Wednesday and Thursday. Sky showing BV v Poole end of March on a Wednesday. No point having two days if they are not consecutive.

• Like 1

I can't believe people are suggesting Friday as one of the fixed race nights. In the last two years out of eight meetings at Lakeside and Coventry, how many did Craig Cook race for Belle Vue. It was either one or zilch. It has got to be Wed/Thurs, with any track unable to use the stadium on one of those

nights having priority in the fixtures for the other night. The standard should be the same as it is now until the viability of it is established.

But I will ask again - why is Poole so successful. Yes the promoter works hard and the demographic of the area helps, but the race night allows him to

attract a good team. His team are always there. The away team are always there (not racing for one of the up to eight teams in action on Fridays in the

PL). The whole thing is therefore more likely to retain fans and sponsors. Mondays (B.Hols) aside - don't make me laugh- first day back at work! Two days consecutively and not clashing with the Premier League. Two home and two away and unwind doubling up to force Garrity, Howarth, Lambert et al out of the PL before British speedway disappears altogether.

• Like 1

Doubt it. More likely Wednesday and Thursday. Sky showing BV v Poole end of March on a Wednesday. No point having two days if they are not consecutive.

Agreed.

Makes sense to have consecutive nights.

However why would Kings Lynn move from Wednesday to Thursday if Wednesday is one of the suggested days?? Makes no sense.

SKY have covered quite a few Wednesdays even some Tuesdays however Monday is still seen as Speedway night on SKY.

It would be nice to hear from the BSPA and promoters engaging the fans to see what days they prefer but I doubt we are a consideration!

Agreed.

Makes sense to have consecutive nights.

However why would Kings Lynn move from Wednesday to Thursday if Wednesday is one of the suggested days?? Makes no sense.

SKY have covered quite a few Wednesdays even some Tuesdays however Monday is still seen as Speedway night on SKY.

It would be nice to hear from the BSPA and promoters engaging the fans to see what days they prefer but I doubt we are a consideration!

Yet I am sure Rosco mentioned fri, which is strange with GPs on the sat and some practicing taking place on fridays. The fri may have now changed since Poland has announced fri night meetings.