British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Tough Season Ahead?

Is it going to be a case of batten down the hatches and just try to get through without too many losses?

Not only do we have the Euro Football finals in june/july,but the Olympics in august and now NASA are predicting terrible weather for april + may!!!! At least march should be relatively mild,so a good start at least to the season

Wow really? Hardly rocket science. ;) The weather in April is always (almost anyway) terrible, that is why there is an expression called April weather.

Terrible weather in May is slightly less guaranteed but hardly uncommon.

We have April showers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_showers_(weather)

But to be honest I haven't really experienced this for years now.The weather has changed quite a bit since I was a kid.I doubt NASA are predicting 'normal' April weather though........ ;) Not really much of a headline....NASA predict normal weather for April!!!!

Edited by iris123

Dont forget the Boat Race..

Always hits attendances that......

I'd have thought the opposite was true,at least on the Isle of Wight

• Like 1

I think it affects Slough Speedway's attendances.

• Like 2

Even on German tv I saw lots of flooding in England.Did you miss that Ray?Didn't look like good weather to me.And the US+A got hit by very harsh weather on the news.But I get the point with two months ahead,half the time they can't predict the weather two days ahead......

Very regional. Here in South Wales we've had a generally dry and not very cold winter. I can count the number of days I had to scrape ice off the car in the morning on one hand. A not a single one of them was until after Xmas! In fact over Christmas it was so nice out I was riving around with the roof down on the car!

I thought one of the most interesting comments from last Sunday's fans forum were the very robust statements from Buster to the effect that there were no clubs in financial difficulties.

Someone picked him up on this and turned to Rob Godfrey who was sitting next to Buster and reminded Rob that he said Scunny might close midway through last season. In effect Rob's answer was 'I was a bit pissed off at the time'

Well with hindsight it's a lot more than interesting :D:rofl:

Very regional. Here in South Wales we've had a generally dry and not very cold winter. I can count the number of days I had to scrape ice off the car in the morning on one hand. A not a single one of them was until after Xmas! In fact over Christmas it was so nice out I was riving around with the roof down on the car!

A convertible in South Wales? That's as rare as a speedway promoters morals........

I was home for 6 weeks from end of jan to start of march, and it was raining nearly every day so unsure what you class as a dry winter?!

The attendance at Redcar last night wasn't bad at all, although their gates seem to hold up reasonably well no matter what.

That's taking into account that it was a cold night (although not as bitingly cold as it has been on occasion there) the meeting was a challenge, Redcar's team isn't the strongest and Berwick aren't the most attractive opponents.

I was home for 6 weeks from end of jan to start of march, and it was raining nearly every day so unsure what you class as a dry winter?!

Heaven knows in Shawn's world. :lol: It seems like we've had the wettest Winter on record in the Midlands and I'm sure it was pretty general all over the UK with lots of flooding.

Heaven knows in Shawn's world. :lol: It seems like we've had the wettest Winter on record in the Midlands and I'm sure it was pretty general all over the UK with lots of flooding.

I'm sure the people of Cockermouth wont agree with him either!!

We all know of the disappointing start to the season with Belle Vue,Plymouth etc.

But is was encouraging yesterday to hear that there was queues to get in yesterday at Lakeside,Eastbourne and the meeting I was at last night - Kent v Eastbourne - which was a very chilly Central Park. :D

Poole's attendance yesterday was huge against Swindon.

Poole's attendance yesterday was huge against Swindon.

A Good Friday meeting against the Robins with decent weather was always likely to be a win win for Poole on all fronts...

I'm sure the people of Cockermouth wont agree with him either!!

tbf I don't live anywhere near cockermouth. While February was certainly a bit damp the winter from October to January was as nice as winter is ever going to be. So I'd describe the winter in South Wales as a good one!

As for it raing most of February, I'll put money in it raining most of February 2017 and 2018 now, because that's what happens you see. April tends to be wet too! And June to September is generally warmer. I'm amazed you can all live in the UK this long and not realise ;)