British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Riders Excluded For Looking Behind During Racing - Instances & Details

Ok, so this subject has cropped up on a couple of threads recently.. Can anyone enlighten us on instances, details of such exclusions, why the rule existed, how it effected team riding and when the rule was taken out the much maligned and criticised rule book?

Crikey if that rule existed today, Eddie Kennett would never finish a race!!!!

• Like 4

Les Collins Rye House v Stoke 1976.

Really, as late as that?? Team riding needs 2 riders to know where each other are on track, how is that, sorry, how can that be achieved if you can't look back to check where your partner is and where the opposition is....! I have never knowingly seen a rider get excluded for this offence, I.E, I was only 6, maybe 7 when I was imtrodued to speedway..

Edited by Shale Searcher

Ok, so this subject has cropped up on a couple of threads recently.. Can anyone enlighten us on instances, details of such exclusions, why the rule existed, how it effected team riding and when the rule was taken out the much maligned and criticised rule book?

Now we've got a formal thread on the subject, here's the full regulation from 1971;

"210. Foul or Dangerous Riding. - The Referee shall exclude immediately a rider who, in his opinion, indulges in foul, unfair or dangerous conduct including any rider who steers or drifts from his course in such a manner as to impede any rider who may be attempting to pass. When in the Referee's opinion, such conduct has given an advantage to the team of which the offender is a member, or, in the case of a non-team event, jeopardised the fair chance of one or more of the other riders, the Referee shall stop the race and order a re-run. A rider turning his head to look backwards may be warned and for a repetition of the offence may be excluded.

There shall be no protest or appeal against a Referee's decision as to foul riding."

By 1978 it had been trimmed down to read;

"210. Foul or Dangerous Riding. - The Referee shall exclude immediately a rider who, in his opinion, indulges in foul, unfair or dangerous conduct including any rider who steers or drifts from his course in such a manner as to impede any rider who may be attempting to pass. When, in the Referee's opinion, such conduct has jeopardised the fair chance of one or more of the other riders, the Referee shall stop the race and order a re-run.

There shall be no protest or appeal against a Referee's decision as to foul riding."

• Like 1

Rule 210 (Foul or Dangerous Riding) - it is in the 1977 rulebook, but gone by 1982 the next copy I have.

"A rider turning his head to look backwards may be warned and for a repetition of the offence may be excluded."

Edit: Looks like Alan Jones beat me to it!

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

Les Collins Rye House v Stoke 1976.

Great knowledge! Looking back at the records, this looks like it may have been during Stoke's challenge match at Hoddesdon on 05 September 1976.

I remember it being announced that John Louis had been warned by the referee for looking behind him (for his team mate) during a British League meeting at Foxhall in, I believe, 1976 also.

(As mentioned on the Coventry's New Stadium thread, Jack Parker may have been the first rider to be excluded under this regulation during what is shown as being the first meeting to be held at Monmore Green on 30 May 1928 when he was excluded from the 350cc Final, won by Bert Perrigo, for looking behind.)

So the rule was gone by 78? I thought I remembered Bo Petersen being warned or excluded for it in the early 80s. Maybe it was just my Dad saying he should have been.

I can remember Dave Lanning commenting that "you're not really supposed to look back in a speedway race" and always wondered what he meant. I can't recall the race or who he was referring to but it was in the 80s. Shawn Moran used to look behind him more than he looked in front of him but it never did him any harm. John Cook was another 'serial offender'.. I think it adds an element of character to the riders.

I can remember Dave Lanning commenting that "you're not really supposed to look back in a speedway race" and always wondered what he meant. I can't recall the race or who he was referring to but it was in the 80s. Shawn Moran used to look behind him more than he looked in front of him but it never did him any harm. John Cook was another 'serial offender'.. I think it adds an element of character to the riders.

If that was the case what is the point of a pairs meeting.

There was nothing better than seeing Leigh Adams looking behind while shepherding a young number two rider around for a 5 - 1.

If that was the case what is the point of a pairs meeting.

There was nothing better than seeing Leigh Adams looking behind while shepherding a young number two rider around for a 5 - 1.

I presume he was referring to the apparent old rule which by then would have been scrapped. It does seem a ridiculous rule but saying that, speedway is riddled with them.

Here's one of my favourite "look backs" from Greg Hancock on the last bend of heat 20 in the World Cup semi in 2012...

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 1