Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Drop a Cog will play his word games again and say he didn't say he'd make a statement.

Which of course, by doing so, he's unwittingly just highlighting the unprofessionalism of Gordon.

What Drop a Cog will tell you is that they will make a decision at 9am but stuff telling any fans what that decision is. They can wait.

I would hope they consult with Wolves, BSPA and the SCB before making a statement about their 9 o clock decision.

The presumptions and assumptions never cease to flow.

It has been said they would monitor things hourly and make a decision Wednesday 9am - not make a statement.

Ouch got it right "hope they consult with Wolves, BSPA, and the SCB before making a statement.

You should have all given Dave Gordon your personal tel number so he can call you to make sure he gets your approval before he makes a public statement.

I would hope they consult with Wolves, BSPA and the SCB before making a statement about their 9 o clock decision.

Perfectly entitled to do that ... but in the meantime, any proper PR solution would get a holding statement out well before 9.30 explaining that such consultations with appropriate parties are now underway based on the previously-trumpeted Wed/9am decision ... that's how you neatly buy a few more hours' time (easily until mid-afternoon in this case) to come up with a more clear-cut statement.

Instead ... nearly 3 hours (and counting) of deafening silence.

PR isn't just about what you're saying at any particular time ... it's also (sometimes much more importantly) about thinking a couple of steps ahead of what you're currently saying and getting your defence in first.

Otherwise it looks as if anything to do with 9am/Wednesday in this particular case was just any old time-&-date plucked out of thin air.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 1

DAC really got under your skin, let's see if Fred can do the same ha ha!

Not really, but you do provide great comedy!

The presumptions and assumptions never cease to flow.

It has been said they would monitor things hourly and make a decision Wednesday 9am - not make a statement.

Ouch got it right "hope they consult with Wolves, BSPA, and the SCB before making a statement.

You should have all given Dave Gordon your personal tel number so he can call you to make sure he gets your approval before he makes a public statement.

I really don't understand why you are taking this perverse attitude.

It is really nothing to do with this 9am business, to me.

The Edinburgh official website carried the news yesterday that Friday's meeting at Belle Vue is off and that Max Ckegg and Sam Masters will be able to get to their practice at Armadale easily.

With that being the sort of information in the public domain it is bizarre that Belle Vue have not put out any form of statement themselves.

At this rate EVEN if they decided to run on Friday we will all have made other plans, surely.

Edited by Grand Central

The meeting on Friday is still on as per the statement below:-

"

Belle Vue Speedway - Good Friday Update

Belle Vue Speedway wish to sincerely thank all the fans that have supported the club during this challenging time and we apologise to everyone for any inconvenience that last Saturday's abandonment has caused.

An inspection of the circuit was made this morning (Wednesday March 23rd) of the remedial works carried by the track contractors on Turns 3 & 4, and progress of the works has been very positive.

A further inspection of the track will be made later today with a view to arranging a closed practice session tomorrow, and if all is well it is the club's intention to proceed with their Good Friday fixture as planned at 1pm.

"
They have also actually now apologised!

Yes, it is excellent news.

Fingers crossed about the pratice tomorrow.

But it looks like I will still have an excuse to get off that Good Friday shopping trip now!

I'd rather see this cancelled tbh, until they have at least tried to run a full NL meeting. Why on earth risk the same or worse on Friday. Call it off, arrange an NL select or whatever for Fri behind closed doors.

The lesson from Saturday HAS to be don't use an important meeting as a test. Come on BV - how obvious does it have to be!!!!

I'd rather see this cancelled tbh, until they have at least tried to run a full NL meeting. Why on earth risk the same or worse on Friday. Call it off, arrange an NL select or whatever for Fri behind closed doors.

Better to have less experienced NL riders try out a (possibly) unfit track and report back on it?

BV statement states that, after another track inspection this afternoon, a decision will be made on staging a closed practice session tomorrow and only then will they decide to stage Good Friday's meeting which is probably there best option in the circumstances.

As was suggested on another thread, invite Wolves riders to the practice session too if possible.

• Like 1

Better to have less experienced NL riders try out a (possibly) unfit track and report back on it?

Well, it is what BSI did at Cardiff, with almost universal acclaim for the initiative.

Well, it is what BSI did at Cardiff, with almost universal acclaim for the initiative.

They used NL riders at Cardiff? I was aware they staged a pre-SGP practice meeting last year but wasn't aware of them using NL riders only to trial the surface at the venue, but presume the track at Cardiff hadn't been classified as 'unfit' beforehand.

Article in Manchester Evening News suggesting BV are 'confident' of staging Good Friday's meeting contains a short clip of the rider practice before the aborted Opening Meeting and shows a rider around turns 3 & 4. Not clear, but looks to me as though a rut is developing on 3...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/speedway/belle-vue-aces-confident-new-11084972

Edited by macca56

They used NL riders at Cardiff? I was aware they staged a pre-SGP practice meeting last year but wasn't aware of them using NL riders only to trial the surface at the venue, but presume the track at Cardiff hadn't been classified as 'unfit' beforehand.

Article in Manchester Evening News suggesting BV are 'confident' of staging Good Friday's meeting contains a short clip of the rider practice before the aborted Opening Meeting and shows a rider around turns 3 & 4. Not clear, but looks to me as though a rut is developing on 3...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/speedway/belle-vue-aces-confident-new-11084972

Your surprise is correct. Both Lewis Kerr and Richie Worrall rode in the pre meeting and the field was not full of NL riders. Quite a decent standard actually.

• Like 1

I would have thought they'd have run a few low profile meetings to ensure everything was in order then held the Grand Opening. It was the logical common sense thing to do, as such you reap what you sow.

• Like 3

BV statement states that, after another track inspection this afternoon, a decision will be made on staging a closed practice session tomorrow and only then will they decide to stage Good Friday's meeting which is probably there best option in the circumstances.

As was suggested on another thread, invite Wolves riders to the practice session too if possible.

They want to be testing everything thoroughlly though - because from Glasgow's experience last season there could well be other problems that a practice doesn't test - scoring, tapes, lights, phone line from pits, etc etc

• Like 1