Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Leicester started with a low profile challenge against sheffield . sold out 5000 crowd . when you are opening a new track theres no such thing as a low profile start , of the 6000. who turned up at BV . at least 5000 would have attended just to be there on the first night . the Mistake by BV management was to try and provide a 1st class lineup , becuase if they had not had that their would have been no rider revolt . lesser riders would just have got on with it .,

Yeah.. that's why they've dug the whole bend up, just for the fun of it.

Do keep up.

Leicester started with a low profile challenge against sheffield . sold out 5000 crowd . when you are opening a new track theres no such thing as a low profile start , of the 6000. who turned up at BV . at least 5000 would have attended just to be there on the first night . the Mistake by BV management was to try and provide a 1st class lineup , becuase if they had not had that their would have been no rider revolt . lesser riders would just have got on with it .,

Why is the Wolves match off tomorrow if the track is ok ? why have they dug it up for ? ..the mistake by the Belle Vue management was to try to run before the track was ready ...the club admit that themselves

• Like 1

I UNDERSTAND that discussions are on-going between the building contractors, insurers and BV management to determine who is liable for the refunds.

If the contractors handed over a track that wasn't fit for purpose, it could be them, which would in turn let the insurers off the hook too.

Does it really matter from the perspective of the credibility of the sport? Regardless of who didn't do what, the Belle Vue promotion are ultimately responsible for putting on the show, ensuring the stadium was ready and fit for purpose, and certainly responsible for making the call of whether to proceed with the meeting or not. At the very least, they're guilty of poor project management.

All this buck passing in public is absolutely pathetic. The whole thing is a public relations disaster that's undone much of the good work of getting the stadium concept turned into reality, but more importantly how many (new) fans have been alienated possibly never to return?

The whole episode sums up why so many have walked away from the sport.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

I UNDERSTAND that discussions are on-going between the building contractors, insurers and BV management to determine who is liable for the refunds.

If the contractors handed over a track that wasn't fit for purpose, it could be them, which would in turn let the insurers off the hook too.

Surely if it is as it was reported that the SCB track inspector gave it the all clear on the Friday evening they have to be responsible so if this is the case surely it should be the SCB paying up

I was interested to read that the "National Stadium" title was an essential part of the deal with the local authorities to create the facility

Perhaps many are assuming that, because it carries this title, the national speedway authorities, ie BSPA, have involvement with it, and as such have some responsibility over Saturday's unfortunate situation

The stadium is Belle Vue with a special name, and therefore the owners/promoters of Belle Vue are solely responsible for events (and non-events) at the site

Why did people think anything different? It was obviously grandiose branding to pull n the necessary funding, and whilst it's good that a fairly decent stadium has been created that can stage international meetings, especially with the impending loss of the de-facto 'national speedway stadium' at Coventry, there's no common ownership.

Many 'national stadiums' are nothing of the sort though - Hampden Park is actually owned by Queen's Park FC.

Without going through the whole thread to pick the quotes out individually, a few on here have blamed the riders for "not wanting to give it a go."

Two words that might help you work out why the riders were unwilling to race on the track for you.....

Darcy Ward.

Just a thought, of course.

What has Darcy Wards crash got to do with the state of the track , he was on a perfectly prepared surface and clipped the back of another rider , maybe if safety concerns are the source of your tentative link .belle vue should have told the riders to ditch their dirt deflectors , because clipping one of those is what caused his accident

Following the abandonment of Saturdays Peter Craven Memorial Trophy, Belle Vue Speedway have implemented the following measures with regards to refunding event night ticket holders.

The club are offering one of the following three options:-

Option 1 - Re-Staging: It is the intention of Belle Vue Speedway to look to re-stage the 2016 Peter Craven Memorial Trophy at a later date. Ticket(s) from March 19th will be valid for this re-staging provided fans retain them. We will issue more information on this in due course.

If ticket holders cannot attend the re-arranged fixture or the fixture cannot be fulfilled then they may opt to pursue either Option 2 or Option 3, valid only for the 2016 season.

Option 2 - Exchange: Ticket(s) from March 19th can be exchanged at the box office for any 2016 Belle Vue Speedway domestic league match ticket(s) of equal value, or used as credit towards a domestic league match ticket(s) of greater value. Please contact the office for more information.

Option 3 - Refund: Ticket holders wishing to request refunds for the 2016 Peter Craven Memorial Trophy must return their ticket(s) or confirmation by post to the National Speedway Stadium, and a refund of the face value of the ticket(s) will be processed and issued as quickly as possible by our administration team.

The Belle Vue management team would like to take this opportunity to thank supporters for their continuing patience and support, and would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

It looks like there's been an under the radar rule change re the responsibility of calling meetings off.

Previously it had been the SCB by way of the referee but they have made the statement that's is not them.

It's now down to the riders which is fair enough as they put their necks on the line.

I think this rule change has been brewing for a while, remember the meeting at Kirky Lane where a GP rider crashed due to conditions but riders were told to got out for the rerun. Nobody crashed in the rerun and it was then deemed unsafe. The riders have a point in wanting ultimate control when things like this or the Coventry fiasco last year - where two riders were fined by the SCB when they refused to ride on a track they deemed dangerous -happen.

People who know more than me have commented that this process needs a majority vote among the riders but to be honest if 50% feel it's unsafe then it should be off as rider safety is paramount and if half the competitors thinks it's dangerous then its dangerous. This would also stop the ridiculous situation where half the field gets fined as has happened in the past for refusing to ride an unfit track.

I've seen riders rider in some truly terrible conditions and on some awful tracks over the years many times with the words "let's just get a result" ringing in their ears. Now the chant is rider safety and not a moment too soon.

What has Darcy Wards crash got to do with the state of the track , he was on a perfectly prepared surface and clipped the back of another rider , maybe if safety concerns are the source of your tentative link .belle vue should have told the riders to ditch their dirt deflectors , because clipping one of those is what caused his accident

speedi he does clip the back wheel but before that happens I can only assume it's unexpected grip that causes this,he lifts taking him into back wheel.

speed

• Like 1

Surely if it is as it was reported that the SCB track inspector gave it the all clear on the Friday evening they have to be responsible so if this is the case surely it should be the SCB paying up

What went wrong over night?

As far as I understand it (and believe someone has already pointed out earlier in the thread), the SCB track inspector passes the track only for the dimensions, safety fence etc., not the actual condition of the track.

• Like 1

superstars turned up .

Why did people think anything different? It was obviously grandiose branding to pull n the necessary funding, and whilst it's good that a fairly decent stadium has been created that can stage international meetings, especially with the impending loss of the de-facto 'national speedway stadium' at Coventry, there's no common ownership.

Many 'national stadiums' are nothing of the sort though - Hampden Park is actually owned by Queen's Park FC.

I do not know why people thought anything different - but it is clear from many posts from many members on this forum that the title "National Speedway Stadium" has encouraged them to think that the national governing body of the sport in this country has some involvement with the new stadium

I was just highlighting this to support my view that the sole responsibility for last Saturday lies with Belle Vue Speedway, its owners and promoters, and not with the BSPA, SCB or ACU

I am aware of the ownership of Hampden Park - thank you for bringing it to the attention of the forum - but in a similar way I suggest that many people believe that the Scottish FA have an major involvement beyond their leasing of the facilities there from Queens Park FC

speedi he does clip the back wheel but before that happens I can only assume it's unexpected grip that causes this,he lifts taking him into back wheel.

speed

It looks like he shuts off to avoid collision and that lifts his wheel to me