British Speedway Forum

Why was it left to Chris Harris to explain to the fans what was happening? Wasn't that the job of those at Belle Vue to explain to the fans how this mess happened?

• Like 3

I fell sorry for the organisers , they have been let down by the riders , 16 national league boys would just have got on with it and made the best of it , apparently there was a meeting and a riders vote , I would like to know the names of those who refused to ride , they have let british speedway down , not that the likes of Woffinden and pedersen care about British speedway

Its rare I side with the promotion against the riders, but I think you are right (albeit solely based upon what Chris Harris has said).

When Newcastle opened up in the late 1990's, they used ash waste as a track surface. It immediately began to break up at the opening meeting, and the riders were reluctant to ride.

The late Ian Thomas pointed out that there was a huge crowd, it was an opening meeting and that they should go out and do their best without taking any risks at all.

They did, and the meeting was run.

While it doesn't excuse the fact that the track should have been ready, if the surface was rideable the meeting should have gone ahead.

Shame on those - and I'd like to know who they were, too- who refused to give it a go.

• Like 6

Klindt says he heard it failed a track inspection twice this week. Can't blame the riders for not wanting to just push their bikes round for 4 laps and hope for the best.

Edited by mdmc82

Why was it left to Chris Harris to explain to the fans what was happening? Wasn't that the job of those at Belle Vue to explain to the fans how this mess happened

Maybe Chris .decided to put the fans in the picture .while the Belle Vue management were busy on their hands and Knees begging the superstars not to destroy all their hard work

Why was it left to Chris Harris to explain to the fans what was happening? Wasn't that the job of those at Belle Vue to explain to the fans how this mess happened?

I am sure the Belle Vue promotion would've been falling over themselves to take to the mic, had tonight been a success, but sadly it wasn't, so its they who must carry the can. Their stadium, their track, their cock-up.

• Like 2

Maybe Chris .decided to put the fans in the picture .while the Belle Vue management were busy on their hands and Knees begging the superstars not to destroy all their hard work

Should have given them a safe track to race on then

• Like 1

They should never have scheduled this so early..just over a week ago there weren't even any bends 3 and 4 even existing..they have done fantastically to get into a position to open the stadium and be this ready ..but they should have had the track down and had proper practice on it before opening to 6000 fans...sadly this was always in the cards and it's a great shame...but it could have been avoidable...the opening fixture should never have been scheduled for March...I always thought that from day 1...as it is this causes great embarrassment and how many locals in that crowd will now not bother...a great opportunity lost

• Like 2

Morton and Graham - you an absolute disgrace the pair of you for not having the testicles to admit defeat 2 days ago when you knew things were not good. British speedway fans are not the twats you think we are and will no doubt (hopefully) make you pay the price for taking mickey today. I drove up from Coventry, arranged a hotel overnight etc for what. you money grabbing B'stards Hope you sleep way tonight - although I reckon you will. shame on you !!!!!

Edited by markyb
  • Like 2

Just had a text from a mate at Rye House. Meeting delayed by 30 minutes due to starting gate malfunction, programme is in EL format and the riders are complaining about the track.

Yep, the new speedway season is now in full swing.

I'm not sure that we'd like it as much as we do if it wasn't such a shambles.

• Like 1

At leat we'll all be able to watch a replay of the balls up when the sky cameras are there in a few weeks

• Like 1

They were, maybe you shouldn't comment on things you haven't a clue about as you weren't there.

Chris Morton and David Gordon announced the meeting was off and were very emotional, Chris Harris then seem to appointed as the riders representative to give their reasoning.

• Like 4

I am sure the Belle Vue promotion would've been falling over themselves to take to the mic, had tonight been a success, but sadly it wasn't, so its they who must carry the can. Their stadium, their track, their cock-up.

Harris said the track was rideable.

In the circumstances (huge crowd, opening meeting etc) the meeting should have gone ahead.

The fact that the meeting would have been crap is down to the promotion. The fact that it was abandoned is down to the riders.

• Like 6

British speedway fans are not the twats you think we are

apparently 6000 of you are ☺
  • Like 2