British Speedway Forum

Harris said the track was rideable.

In the circumstances (huge crowd, opening meeting etc) the meeting should have gone ahead.

The fact that the meeting would have been crap is down to the promotion. The fact that it was abandoned is down to the riders.

I'm afraid I don't agree with your idea of the meeting should have gone ahead - the people that turned out for this event deserved a "proper" meeting not some have hearted attempt at synthetic racing...........

• Like 3

Am i a little pd off with tonight yes but more than that i am so so gutted for Chris David and the club.

Why ?

Harris said the track was rideable.

If so, why didn't they ride it ?

Was the track ready to race a meeting like this and the bottom line was no ...meaning that the meeting should have been called off weeks ago ...it never have enough time to be ready.

But you reckon it's ok to Belle Vue carried on conning people by letting the riders going round slowly in indian file because ian Thomas done the same 25 years ago .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

I assume the track was licensed by the SCB/ACU, if so whoever passed it fit should be sacked.

Klindt said it had failed two inspections this week

A meeting of this size should not have been scheduled until the track had been down for at least one month, and had been ridden on regularly to ensure it's suitability for racing (not just riding) - together with as much of the surrounding facilities completed as possible

BSPA and Belle Vue have cost 6,000 fans a mountain of time, effort and money, and done the sport probably the biggest disservice in this country since Olsen created his circus

Can the association and its members bugger off and let someone else take over, someone with organisational skills, foresight and common sense?

While we're at it, how can a meeting run with one ambulance? Common sense says that, if that vehicle is needed to be used, the lack of a second will mean the meeting cannot continue (ref Somerset last night). Doh!

• Like 7

Harris is just 1 rider with 1 opinion.What did the other 15 think?

Fair point Iris - we don't know what they thought although I for one would like to know.

From quotes from the track, though, Harris was spokesperson for the riders. Its reasonable to say that he represented a collective view.

If the track wasn't ready, then the buck stops entirely with the promotion. They should have called it off several days ago, and stopped fans from all across the country travelling to Manchester today for what was a massive waste of time.

They have shot themselves in the foot.

All the best

Rob

Had this been a normal weekly meeting I would have completely agreed.

But it isn't. Its an opening meeting with 6,000 people at the track. This could have gone ahead - crap maybe, but it could.

The riders chose not to ride on a track that was rideable. The abandonment of the meeting was down to them.

I'm afraid I don't agree with your idea of the meeting should have gone ahead - the people that turned out for this event deserved a "proper" meeting not some have hearted attempt at synthetic racing...........

Had it gone ahead, Belle Vue would rightly have been significantly criticised for the fact that it simply wasn't ready and the riders praised for the fact that they were willing to have a go.

I completely agree that it should have been a top class meeting, but the reason there was no meeting at all is not down to Belle Vue.

• Like 2

A meeting of this size should not have been scheduled until the track had been down for at least one month, and had been ridden on regularly to ensure it's suitability for racing (not just riding) - together with as much of the surrounding facilities completed as possible

BSPA and Belle Vue have cost 6,000 fans a mountain of time, effort and money, and done the sport probably the biggest disservice in this country since Olsen created his circus

Can the association and its members bugger off and let someone else take over, someone with organisational skills, foresight and common sense?

While we're at it, how can a meeting run with one ambulance? Common sense says that, if that vehicle is needed to be used, the lack of a second will mean the meeting cannot continue (ref Somerset last night). Doh!

As i said, the track curator would have known several days ago if this meeting was going to make it. No excuse. And i agree with the rest of your post.

Harris is just 1 rider with 1 opinion.What did the other 15 think?

Woffy tweeted

Gutted for the fans who turned up tonight but track just wasn't safe
  • Like 1

As i said, the track curator would have known several days ago if this meeting was going to make it. No excuse. And i agree with the rest of your post.

Th track curator is Colin Meredith, the SCB inspector.

So did this track get a track certificate before tonight's meeting, and if so, who approved it ???

Th track curator is Colin Meredith, the SCB inspector.

Then somebody wants there backside kicked soundly. HE, should have reported his misgivings to Gordon or morton. And he WOULD have known days ago.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 2

How great to see one of the most famous clubs in speedway in a brand new stadium befitting their great history.

Every time I hear the name Belle Vue, I can't help but think of Peter Craven,one of the greatest English riders ever, and by far the most spectacular of the so-called big 5, of the old National League.

There is no better meeting than this to start of this new era in the club's history.

They have not had the success of old lately, but who knows, this new stadium may pave the way to more success.

One thing for sure, Poole will never be regarded in the same way as Belle-Vue, they will be remembered for something different altogether.

May tonight's meeting be a huge success, with much more to come.

i

New era - same old excrement - can you tell I'm angry !

Was the track ready to race a meeting like this and the bottom line was no ...meaning that the meeting should have been called off weeks ago ...it never have enough time to be ready.

But you reckon it's ok to Belle Vue carried on conning people by letting the riders going round slowly in indian file because ian Thomas done the same 25 years ago .

I haven't said what Belle Vue have done is OK at all. They deserve a great deal of criticism for the fact that the track was not ready.

However, the track was rideable. What you have said is what happened is entirely down to Belle Vue and that the riders are not to blame in the slightest when this could have gone ahead.

Simple truth is that a crap meeting would have been down to Belle Vue, but total abandonment is down to the riders.

• Like 2

One of the issues so many of us have with sport is getting heat 10 for a rain off. Just running heats for the sake of it is what kills the sport. Of the track isn't fit then racing should not happen.

Had it gone ahead, Belle Vue would rightly have been significantly criticised for the fact that it simply wasn't ready and the riders praised for the fact that they were willing to have a go.

I completely agree that it should have been a top class meeting, but the reason there was no meeting at all is not down to Belle Vue.

But people paid good money for a good racing event - had I made the trip I would not have been happy with tootling round for the sake of it.

• Like 3