British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve0

Pirates Vs Roobins, Ela, 25 Mar 2016, 12 Noon

I agree well done to Newman for getting rides in Poland and as I have already said out of the 2 Garrity is far more reckless. But there is no way in the world that Newman is ahead of Garrity at the moment. All this stuff about Garrity has messed up Coventrys team isn't totally correct. Coventry didnt have to use him did they! They saw his ambition and went with it. Think that You Tube clip shows Newman at reserve in 2011 alongside Nick Morris. Wonder how their careers have gone? Reserve for 6 seasons and now riding against riders he is far superior to isn't doing him any good.

• Like 1

Good Question. We were told they couldn't fit him in within the points limit and that they think he was on a high average. His average is not high it is a reflection of his riding ability. Love to have him in the side. At least we would have two heat leaders instead of the premier league riders we have.

Have a feeling at some point you may get your wish but that average isnt easy to fit in with this confounded points limit

• Like 2

Have a feeling at some point you may get your wish but that average isnt easy to fit in with this confounded points limit

Let's hope so Shocker but like you say the points limit will be an issue.

I agree well done to Newman for getting rides in Poland and as I have already said out of the 2 Garrity is far more reckless. But there is no way in the world that Newman is ahead of Garrity at the moment. All this stuff about Garrity has messed up Coventrys team isn't totally correct. Coventry didnt have to use him did they! They saw his ambition and went with it. Think that You Tube clip shows Newman at reserve in 2011 alongside Nick Morris. Wonder how their careers have gone? Reserve for 6 seasons and now riding against riders he is far superior to isn't doing him any good.

When you look at the reserves from 2011, 6 seasons ago and what level they are at now, it makes you realise how much they have progressed compared to Newman.

Riders who rode at reserve at the same time as Newman include: Doyle, North, Cook, Morris, Pawlicki, Summers. Newman is miles off being in the same ability as them. Auty is another who seems to have spent years as a reserve.

PL progression: avg 2014 start: 5.32

avg now: 6.84

If you look at where Garrity was in 2011, he was riding in the NL and didn't get a EL reserve spot until 2014. In that time he progressed lots and made British Final semi/Final and scored points for fun at reserve. After only 2 years he has moved up to the top 5 and took that chance. It might work for him or it might be too soon but credit to him for having ambition to try.

Pl progression: avg 2014 start: 5.31

avg now: 8.46

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 1

Some riders improve fast and some improve more gradually each season. Let's see what Newman does in the 1-5 shall we. I get the feeling Kyle will handle the pressure better than Garrity :)

• Like 1

Garrity will do more than fine in the 1-5 once he gets his equipment right. He's already blown an engine this season.

Garrity will do more than fine in the 1-5 once he gets his equipment right. He's already blown an engine this season.

Makes a change from 'blowing a fuse' ;)

Makes a change from 'blowing a fuse' ;)

He's done that too when he was wrongly excluded v Poole! His scores for Sheffield have been very good just needs a good meeting in a Bees race jacket and his EL form will improve.

• Like 1

When you look at the reserves from 2011, 6 seasons ago and what level they are at now, it makes you realise how much they have progressed compared to Newman.

Riders who rode at reserve at the same time as Newman include: Doyle, North, Cook, Morris, Pawlicki, Summers. Newman is miles off being in the same ability as them. Auty is another who seems to have spent years as a reserve.

PL progression: avg 2014 start: 5.32

avg now: 6.84

That’s an incredibly skewed point to make against Newman given he was miles away from being the ability level of those riders at the time. He was only plugged into a reserve position that season to fill a gap, it isn’t like he was at the level of those riders and hasn’t progressed, that season was the first one he really established himself as a PL reserve never mind EL.

He will likely remain miles off the level of Doyle, given he is now one of the best riders in the world and Pawlicki given he is one of the best talents in the world, I don’t see that as something to beat him with given 100s of other riders are miles off the level Doyle reached last season, as for the others is Newman miles off the level of Morris, Summers or North, no, not for me he isn’t (which is just as much down to their lack of progress since 2011) he could quite easily be at the level of Summers by the time he reaches his age as well, Morris might kick on again he might not but if he doesn't he is "catchable" if Newman at it the way he appears to.

All that being said it is actually entirely possible Newman and Garrity will have very decent careers and race for Team GB, I am not seeing the riders who will stop them doing that, as well as that it is also possible just to enjoy the work both do without constantly comparing and contrasting them and just appreciate they are both young British riders working and trying their best to progress as they see fit, one has taken the bold move to step up to the 1-5 the other has found a place on the continent that’s a good thing it is something worth applauding.

Edited by sparkafag

............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKh5RqokQJo

newman riding for poole in this link on assessed 3.00 in 2011,

He did not ride the full season though hence the assessed average............he has never had anything other than an assessed or FDR average for Poole because of the number of meetings he has done as far as I am aware..........the only two full seasons he has done are the last two................

RP

He did not ride the full season though hence the assessed average............he has never had anything other than an assessed or FDR average for Poole because of the number of meetings he has done as far as I am aware..........the only two full seasons he has done are the last two................

RP

He had an EL average in 2012.

He rode 12 meetings for Poole in 2011 so did achieve an average - admittedly it was 3 because you can't have a 1.23 average. But it does show how long he's been riding EL.

He rode 12 meetings for Poole in 2011 so did achieve an average - admittedly it was 3 because you can't have a 1.23 average. But it does show how long he's been riding EL.

A world of difference between the rider then and now.

He will probably never be a world beater but a decent second string / third heat leader is clearly his aim and I believe it is certainly achievable.

• Like 1

A world of difference between the rider then and now.

He will probably never be a world beater but a decent second string / third heat leader is clearly his aim and I believe it is certainly achievable.

Well the way the league is going I could be third heat leader.

• Like 1

The facts are straight forward. Newman has ridden in the reserve berth of an elite league side for 6 years. The reasons are either lack of progress, lack of ambition or he is happy just beating inferior riders week after week. He may be a good second string but that's not saying a lot really. Premier league number ones are third heat leaders like Cook was and King is and Newman is and won't be anywhere near their level. Sure he could improve but he seems happy being a big fish down at reserve