British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

What Is The Connection With Speedway And The Wall Of Death?

I seem to remember when I was younger, I was told that the wall of death and speedway had some sort of blood connection. Am I imagining this, or is their a connection??

Edited by Shale Searcher

I seem to remember when I was younger, I was told that the wall of death and speedway had some sort of blood connection. Am I imagining this, or is their a connection??

All I know is that Ronnie Moore used to take part in a Wall of Death attraction (I think that his father owned such an attraction?)

Not what you asked I know!

Monarchs' Dick Campbell too I seem to remember.

• Like 1

Only connection that comes to my mind is when the funfair was open at Belle Vue Hyde Road track, after the speedway meeting go into the funfair free and there was a wall of death show.

Guy Martin, motor cycle road racer, has a TV series at the moment and I saw only last week a trailer of his programs and wall of death ride was one of them. It was a hugh wall he was going to ride, much bigger in diameter then I remember BVs to be.

edited - I just googled wall of death and Guy Martin show with the largest wall of death ever seen is live on easter monday March 28th 7:15pm on Channel4

The "wall" will be 120' in diameter - Guy Martin is going for a world record.

Edited by Joe Hatton

Only connection that comes to my mind is when the funfair was open at Belle Vue Hyde Road track, after the speedway meeting go into the funfair free and there was a wall of death show.

Guy Martin, motor cycle road racer, has a TV series at the moment and I saw only last week a trailer of his programs and wall of death ride was one of them. It was a hugh wall he was going to ride, much bigger in diameter then I remember BVs to be.

edited - I just googled wall of death and Guy Martin show with the largest wall of death ever seen is live on easter monday March 28th 7:15pm on Channel4

Have really enjoyed Guy Martin's previous series and this one, a very genuine individual.

• Like 2

Visited the Wall of Death a couple of years ago.

Scary stuff when they swoop up to the top of the wall hands free!!

And very loud!!

They even had go karts on the wall.

Guy's wall is huge in comparison and obviously built for pure speed.

Was one of them not a metal sphere ,they used ride round inside of it.

Henny Kroeze runs a wall of death a various events these days.

Guess it is a flimsy connection.The Wall of death sprang from the US wooden board tracks and some of the board track riders also rode dirt tracks.Basically you go back early enough and motorcycle racing share an original beginning and diversified and changed into different sports

• Like 1

That's right, I believe it was called the globe of death and two riders went in opposite directions vertically, it was a sort of cage construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9aREQpcLGU Just found on google.

I think they still use the old Indian engine which sounds like a bag of hammers.

Saw the Wall of Death in Kings Lynn Marketplace one year and Kings Lynn have a Speedway team ..... connection

Sounds like there is a connection between turnips and King's Lynn speedway there

Edited by iris123

I forget which season (1971-73) but at the annual Hull Fair, Viking Tony Childs once had a spin on the wall of death....