British Speedway Forum

Fantastic, what can you say, they issue a licence for a track. However the state of the track is not taken into consideration, just the fittings round it. So the control board has already got its brush out and pushed everything under the carpet.

Although technically the statement is correct in that it wasn't a shared event, it's very disappointing, although totally predictable, that there was no mention of getting redress for the thousands of fans.

Whatever anyone does it won't change anything but from a PR point of view much more could and should have been said, but as all BSPA members only have their own interests at heart I'm not surprised. Fans are very much a secondary consideration.

Those surprised at Busters forthrightness obviously don't know him. He would never get a job in the diplomatic corps lol.

While I won't defend our club for saturday night I have a few gripes with busters statement.

1, I assume he will now be consistent and investigate when sky force riders to ride in dangerous conditions to get to heat 10

2, if and a big if it was a huge success Saturday I bet they wouldn't have distanced themselves away from belle vue and would have take part of the credits

• Like 3

Totally agree with you on point 1 :approve:

Point 2 however is speculation. They would certainly have issued PRs praising it, I agree but not sure how they could take credit (can't believe I'm sort of defending them :o )

As a matter of interest were there any other promoters present on Saturday?

• Like 2

BSPA Chairman Keith Chapman said: “This is a massive setback to the sport in this country and it can have a negative impact on every other club throughout the UK. I am not a media or PR guru but that line in particular seems incredibly poorly advised, to make such a reference once seems naïve but to also say “It’s an embarrassment and the rest of the sport in this country could be hit by it” is just irresponsible.

Yes, I think a degree of responsibility has to be accepted, but not shared across the country, as Chairman of the sport there should be slightly more care shown regarding other member clubs IMO.

• Like 2

I clicked on this thread with a certain trepidation having read the statement (and many comments - including some from past promoters!) on Facebook.

As far as the statement goes, I feel it could have been much better worded and thought-through. For any association to totally blame one of its members and not offer its support and assistance in attempting to sort things out is not on - wherever the faults lay.

As Phil the Ace says above, if the event had gone ahead without any problems, the BSPA would have been applauding one of their member clubs and be standing alongside them for all the congrats.

As sorry as I feel for everyone that was there, I feel particularly sad for all the Aces fans.

• Like 5

Stronger as a Group, Weaker as Individuals - as usual the BSPA adopt an opposite stance.

Whilst this is simply a statement from the Promoters Association, the report from the SCB inquiry must provide some explanations and answers.

Dave Gordon, Chris Morton & Colin Meredith, maybe rightly, will be feeling particularly isolated right now.

Talk about Pulling up the drawbridge. I would assume that after a massive cock up like this Morton and Gordon will do the honourable thing ? Oops I was forgetting this is Speedway.

• Like 1

Talk about Pulling up the drawbridge. I would assume that after a massive cock up like this Morton and Gordon will do the honourable thing ? Oops I was forgetting this is Speedway.

What would that be? Resign? What good would that do? It would probably end up in closure of the speedway.

The point is had the meeting gone ahead would BV speedway said hang on lets split the money with the BSPA ? NO -so why would the BSPA want anything to do with this shambles - sorry Bspa got it spot on

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

What would that be? Resign? What good would that do? It would probably end up in closure of the speedway.

As indeed might bankruptcy !

Stronger as a Group, Weaker as Individuals - as usual the BSPA adopt an opposite stance.

Whilst this is simply a statement from the Promoters Association, the report from the SCB inquiry must provide some explanations and answers.

Dave Gordon, Chris Morton & Colin Meredith, maybe rightly, will be feeling particularly isolated right now.

This is the first time that I have seen Colin Meredith`s name mentioned- he used to be responsible for the track at Kirkmanshulme lane (2015 ?) Did Colin have any involvement with the new track ? If he did - he is also the SCB track inspector- so would have been in the ideal position to tell the Belle Vue promotion of any shortcomings with the track. Did the Promoters not listen to him ?

This is the first time that I have seen Colin Meredith`s name mentioned- he used to be responsible for the track at Kirkmanshulme lane (2015 ?) Did Colin have any involvement with the new track ? If he did - he is also the SCB track inspector- so would have been in the ideal position to tell the Belle Vue promotion of any shortcomings with the track. Did the Promoters not listen to him ?

You can bet your bottom dollar they didn't want to listen to him but if is the SCB track inspector and he passed it only 24 hours before it was called off he wants sacking from his position straight away

BRITISH Speedway Chairman has confirmed the BSPA are to launch a full investigation into events surrounding the cancellation.

The meeting was cancelled due to an unfit track - something which the Chairman admits was "totally unacceptable".
He said: "The first thing to say is to apologise to the many supporters who paid good money to see the event which had a superb line-up.

"It is also not the start anyone wanted.

"I can understand totally the anger of supporters and, of course, we offer our sincere apologies to everyone who was inconvenienced.

"We will now carry out a full investigation to establish why this totally unacceptable situation was allowed to develop and will comment further when this investigation has been concluded."

This was following the BSPA promoted ELRC farce at Coventry in 2014, so at least they will know how to efficiently help in dealing with the situation at Belle Vue.

Did anyone get the hotels, parking, drinks, sausage rolls and programmes refunded as if so then it could help to resolve the Belle Vue refunds in the same way?

• Like 1