British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -v Wolves 25-03-16 Good Fiday

Cradley promotion Told their fans at meet the riders night it was highly likely the wolves and Cradley meetings wouldn't go ahead but we must wait until Wednesday 9am for confirmation. I know I was there. What was said on Facebook and elsewhere was variations of the above and everyone else jumping to conclusions

Edited by kiwi
  • Like 1

Correct, nor is it right to say a meeting may or may not be on!

Err, those are the only two options any promotion can say.

I'm i correct in thinking that the consensus on this forum is it's ok for other promotions to announce an event is cancelled before the staging promotion?

Edited by ouch

Cradley promotion Told their fans at meet the riders night it was highly likely the wolves and Cradley meetings wouldn't go ahead but we must wait until Wednesday 9am for confirmation. I know I was there. What was said on Facebook and elsewhere was variations of the above and everyone else jumping to conclusions

And there lies problem. All these social media sites in this modern age cause all sorts of problems, truth can easily be distorted and very quickly its spread over a wide area, as far as global.

Its not so many years ago that discussions like taking place on forums would not be taking place. If a meeting like last Saturday would have been called off, that news would have taken days possibly over a week to get around, probably by the likes of Speedway Star or other printed news media.

At times modern technology has a lot to answer for, but what would we do without it.

For what it's worth I don't think CVS did think the information had come from a fan on Twitter, I give him more credit than that. I think it more likely he thought it had come from a credible source, maybe at the Cradley forum as reported on here.

Your theory that Belle Vue's supposed charade was to avoid fans thinking the problem was more serious than first thought doesn't hold up. The reality is that many on here were expecting tomorrow's match to be cancelled,so had already decided it wasn't a problem with a quick fix. A cancellation announced on Monday would have matched their expectations.

Also, consider that from reading David Gordon's press release it seems that legal proceedings were a possibility, no doubt relating to whoever was responsible for the problems on Saturday and any future losses from cancelled meetings. It would in those circumstances harm his case to say or do anything which wasn't true or which showed that he hasn't done everything he could to minimise any losses, ie by doing everything possible to get Fridays match on. Anything which indicates that Belle Vue said the match was cancelled before the inspections and eventual decision to cancel on Wednesday can only be harmful if proceedings are necessary and makes it even more improbable that Belle Vue were consulted or had anything to do with the statements by Wolverhampton and Edinburgh.

To quote your earlier post, "We know this rumour was started by a fan on Twitter on Monday, far more believable that Wolves and Edinburgh were taken in by it and didn't bother to check." Fair play, you now seem to be moving away from that stance, which I think is only appropriate.

I wouldn't elevate my own avowed hypothetical assessment to the level of theory; interesting that you should introduce the term charade, however.

I just about see where you're trying to go with the final point, but you could then (and I'm not trying to) invert the argument and say that all the huff and puff about track inspections, practice etcetera is the club management trying to display visibly their willingness to put right what has been left wrong by others.

In passing, CVS spoke very warmly in support of the project at a fans' function on Wednesday.

Anyway, at least we can debate the matter in a civilised fashion. Pretty much everyone appears to be behind the project, you know. I'd be saddened if Aces fans feel they have to develop a circle the wagons mentality over the whole stadium set-up.

Err, those are the only two options any promotion can say.

I'm i correct in thinking that the consensus on this forum is it's ok for other promotions to announce an event is cancelled before the staging promotion?

No it's not right.

Nor is it right for any one promotion to mess other teams and riders about with a track that us clearly not ready for racing.

At the minute it's ON

Somebody commented elsewhere that David Gordon said on local radio that they were hoping to do further work on the track then hold a practice on Saturday before making a decision about Monday. I didn't hear it so can't confirm what has been reported. However, I can't see that much would have been done with the rain yesterday and the forecast from tomorrow onwards doesn't look too good. Hopefully, the forecast is wrong and they can get the practice in tomorrow.

Getting away from the squabbling for a moment, is Belle Vue vs Cradley on Monday on or off?

All the best

Rob

I've checked with Wolverhampton and they confirm it is OFF.

Belle Vue have also said it is off but you may want to take that with a pinch of salt.

• Like 2

I've checked with Wolverhampton and they confirm it is OFF.

Belle Vue have also said it is off but you may want to take that with a pinch of salt.

The clincher is that Starman says the track is OK so it must be off.

• Like 1