British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Plymouth Remain Open!

It may not be the right time to point fingers but the club made commercial suicide this Winter by not attracting a major sponsor. We had members of the commercial team on the forum asking for sponsorship leads which just shows the level of incompetence in that area.

The supporters were putting up serious money this year to help with the sponsorship side but it appears the club's commercial team haven't shown the same level of commitment.

I have to say this is a strange time to do this given it follows a challenge match - They should have waited for the league campaign in my opinion as I'm certain they'd have got circa 1000 through the gate.

I'm gutted, let's hope someone comes out of the woodwork to save the club.

• Like 1

Really feel for the fans & riders of Plymouth - as a Brummies fan - been there. Don't give up......if you want your cub enough it CAN happen.

I feel that there must have been a budget problem before the start of the season.

No track can hope to survive with only 450 paying spectators coming through the gates and to this end I blame a lot of the fans who say that they will attend but when the team suffer a couple of bad results then they tend to stay at home, when the team are at rock bottom that is when they need the support of the fans.

Everybody was warned early last season that if the numbers through the gates did not improve then the future of Plymouth Speedway could be in doubt, now that the story has come true how many “True fans in waiting” will come out of the woodwork blaming all and sundry for the demise of the club when in actual fact their entry fee could have meant the survival of the club.

The promoters of Plymouth Speedway have bent over backwards to keep speedway alive in the city, we have lost Exeter & St Austell don’t let Plymouth go the same way.

Surely we could start a rescue fund, to bring our fans in hiding to the forefront and keep Plymouth Speedway alive, I would willingly start by donating £100 today who will follow my lead...............

• Like 2

Still in shock. My heart goes out to todd, jack, charlie and sam in particular who have been left without a team altogether

I feel for the loyal fans, myself included, who were there on friday night and most other racing nights over the last ten years.

I have taken stick on here for being negative about the current promotion and their imcompetency but I still continued to pay to go to watch the sport I love

I hope this isnt't the end of speedway in plymouth.

• Like 1

It may not be the right time to point fingers but the club made commercial suicide this Winter by not attracting a major sponsor. We had members of the commercial team on the forum asking for sponsorship leads which just shows the level of incompetence in that area.

The supporters were putting up serious money this year to help with the sponsorship side but it appears the club's commercial team haven't shown the same level of commitment.

I have to say this is a strange time to do this given it follows a challenge match - They should have waited for the league campaign in my opinion as I'm certain they'd have got circa 1000 through the gate.

I'm gutted, let's hope someone comes out of the woodwork to save the club.

Bit optimistic with 1,000 I think but I can't disagree about the timing. A freezing cold night and a half hearted open meeting isn't likely to pull the punters in, so 450 was almost certainly way under what a normal attendance would be.

Its easy for me to say it, but couldn't one team meeting have been run ?

• Like 2

Sad news for Plymouth fans ....shocking the way that is has been done ...you don't sell season tickets get a team together and just pull out because your a poor crowd for a meeting no one is likely to care about on a cold march night .

Hope this is wake up call to everyone that Speedway has a problems in every league rather than this crazy mind set that the only problems are at el level

Sad news for Plymouth fans ....shocking the way that is has been done ...you don't sell season tickets get a team together and just pull out because your a poor crowd for a meeting no one is likely to care about on a cold march night .

Hope this is wake up call to everyone that Speedway has a problems in every league rather than this crazy mind set that the only problems are at el level

You are right regarding problems in the sport and Personaly did not see any changes in Winter Agm to resolve any of them.Talk among fans and forum topics suggest crowd levels are poor at a large number of tracks.Its time Promoters stop paying wages they can't afford and stopped this"self interest" approach to success.Feel sorry for Plymouth fans.Its no surprise that recent PL winners suffered heavy financial losses.

just like to add my name to the list

real sad news and agree its really hard for all involved

we dont know why its happenend on the eve of the new season but im sure some warning could have been given

Gutted for the promotion, riders and most importantly the fans of Plymouth Speedway, during last season there were reports of tracks struggling so it probably shouldn't come as a complete surprise that at least one club hasn't made it to the start of the 2016 season. One wonders why would the Plymouth promotion wait so late in the day to make this decision, surely it cant be purely down to one poor attendance for last weeks individual meeting.

There are now seven riders ready, willing and able to take up a position at another club, that will focus of the mind of a few promoters up and down the Country should their own sides get off to an iffy start.

• Like 1

holders sponsorship could be a problem . maybe has to do a proctor and head back to aus .

£10 entrance would be a start. You've got to dangle a carrot the fans way. Fans cannot afford £15 on a regular basis nowadays. What you lose on the swings you would gain on the roundabouts. And it wouldn't harm a few more clubs to do the same..

I feel that there must have been a budget problem before the start of the season.

No track can hope to survive with only 450 paying spectators coming through the gates and to this end I blame a lot of the fans who say that they will attend but when the team suffer a couple of bad results then they tend to stay at home, when the team are at rock bottom that is when they need the support of the fans.

Everybody was warned early last season that if the numbers through the gates did not improve then the future of Plymouth Speedway could be in doubt, now that the story has come true how many “True fans in waiting” will come out of the woodwork blaming all and sundry for the demise of the club when in actual fact their entry fee could have meant the survival of the club.

The promoters of Plymouth Speedway have bent over backwards to keep speedway alive in the city, we have lost Exeter & St Austell don’t let Plymouth go the same way.

Surely we could start a rescue fund, to bring our fans in hiding to the forefront and keep Plymouth Speedway alive, I would willingly start by donating £100 today who will follow my lead...............

if you get a run of people involved, put me downfor £50

If the reason for closing the doors is really the low crowd for a meaningless opener, then the promotion have got it badly wrong in my opinion. Suspect there is more to this sad day than that though. Really hope Plymouth can be saved somehow.

• Like 2

Gutted for the promotion, riders and most importantly the fans of Plymouth Speedway, during last season there were reports of tracks struggling so it probably shouldn't come as a complete surprise that at least one club hasn't made it to the start of the 2016 season. One wonders why would the Plymouth promotion wait so late in the day to make this decision, surely it cant be purely down to one poor attendance for last weeks individual meeting.

They big problem with this situation is that they did make it to the start of the season with all the complications that that has brought.

holders sponsorship could be a problem . maybe has to do a proctor and head back to aus .

No problem as long as the new promoter has, or applies for, the correct sponsor licence.

Be interesting to see if the riders get paid for the couple of meetings theyve done.

Youd of thought if they were foolish enough to start the season then theyd at least of tried a competitive team fixture or two at home, surely??