British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Sheffield Tigers ( L C) - Easter Sunday, March 27th (3pm)

EASTER TREAT AT EDDIE WRIGHT RACEWAY

HENDERSON INSURANCE Scunthorpe Scorpions’ promoter Rob Godfrey is looking forward to Easter Sunday’s (3pm) clash with local rivals Sheffield Tigers at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

The League Cup action forms the first half of a 31-race double-header, also featuring a four team tournament between the Scunthorpe Stags, Halifax, Hull and Buxton.

The Scorpions started their 2016 fixtures last week with a fine 48-41 win at Ipswich, followed by a 45-45 draw against the Witches in a complete humdinger of a meeting at Scunthorpe.

Godfrey said: “It should be an absolute belter – the racing for our home meeting against Ipswich was top drawer, and this should be the same.

“Sheffield are always good value around the Eddie Wright Raceway, and it’s going to be a real test for our ambitions to reach the League Cup semi-finals.

“We took five points from the two meetings against Ipswich, which was a handy start, and we need to keep adding to that. We ride well at both Sheffield and Peterborough, but at the same time, we need to win our home meetings.

“We had a few engine problems in the home meeting against Ipswich, which cost us the win. Josh Auty’s bike was smoking badly and he had to switch, and his second bike was nowhere as fast as the first. Meanwhile, both Wilko (Carl Wilkinson) and Zdenek (Holub) had bikes which were far too powerful for the track. We’ll have all that sorted out for the visit of the Tigers.”

Wilkinson suffered a small break in his collarbone in an accident at Scunthorpe last weekend, but is planning to race through the pain barrier.

* Team news to follow later in week.

Edited by lucifer sam

Wilkinson suffered a small break in his collarbone in an accident at Scunthorpe last weekend, but is planning to race through the pain barrier.

Blooming hummer; Wilko you absolute legend; speedway rider eh ? ..tough as nails. Great news and as Rob says; "it should be an absolute belter". You can count on that folks.

SCUNTHORPE SPEEDWAY - THE TRACK THAT WON'T LET YOU DOWN !

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 2

Wilkos as tough as they come , remember him gashing his face badly at Exeter in his early newport days yet riding on - most wouldnt of even been able to put their crash helmet on!

Hi all , Scunthorpe was one of those clubs/tracks determined to visit in 2016 as I believe its as good as any out there , after the Belle Vue Fiasco need a Speedway Fix and this sounds a cracker , only concern is the weather forecast - coming from Preston with the family ( 2 Young Children ) so any advice / updates on possible postponement etc would be appreciated as will be setting off lunchtime and not sure the kids could take another postponement after Belle Vue a few days ago !! :)

Cheers

Chris

Good luck with the weather for Sunday Chris.

Us Scunny fans are rightly proud of the quality of racing we regularly see at the EWR.

Hope it lives up to expectations - last week was a cracker!

I'm away this weekend, so am selfishly hoping for a rain off as I do enjoy my visits to the EWR!

Edited by Cue Ball

Good luck with the weather for Sunday Chris.

Us Scunny fans are rightly proud of the quality of racing we regularly see at the EWR.

Hope it lives up to expectations - last week was a cracker!

Thanks - really hope to get across this weekend

Chris

Wilko back in action, so Scorpions should be at full strength.

Lasse Bjerre guests for the injured Simon Stead for Sheffield.

All the best

Rob

Expected teams for Easter Sunday:

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. Josh Auty, 2. Nicolai Klindt, 3. Alex Davies, 4. Zdenek Holub, 5. Ryan Douglas, 6. Carl Wilkinson, 7. Josh Bailey.

Sheffield Tigers: 1. Lasse Bjerre (Guest), 2. Dimitri Berge, 3. Kyle Howarth, 4. Josh Bates, 5. Jason Garrity, 6. Richard Hall, 7. Nathan Greaves.

Teams for four team tournament:

Scunthorpe Stags: 1. Dan Greenwood, 2. Alex Wilson, 3. Andrew Blackburn, 4. Sam Chapman.
Halifax Tigers: 1. Wayne Carter, 2. Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, 3. Paul Burnett, 4. Krys Bialecki.
Buxton Hitmen: 1. Ryan Blacklock, 2. Shelby Rutherford, 3. Ryan Burton, 4. James Hitchen.
Hull Vikings: 1. Chris Widman, 2. Adam Sheppard, 3. George Rothery, 4. Luke Whitehead.

If anyone is attending the meeting and will be able to text updates of the four team tournament section, can you send me a pm with your mobile number please.

Thanks

Edited by Elliot Hunt

Hi all , Scunthorpe was one of those clubs/tracks determined to visit in 2016 as I believe its as good as any out there , after the Belle Vue Fiasco need a Speedway Fix and this sounds a cracker , only concern is the weather forecast - coming from Preston with the family ( 2 Young Children ) so any advice / updates on possible postponement etc would be appreciated as will be setting off lunchtime and not sure the kids could take another postponement after Belle Vue a few days ago !! :)

Cheers

Chris

A few showers blowing about but I think it will be OK.

As far as I am concerned, Scunny is the best racing track in the country. If its anything like last week, you're in for a treat.

One small piece of advice : wrap up warm. EWR can be absolutely perishing.

Teams looking good for Easter weekend Sheffield look a strong team all dependant on how wilko gets on at reserve lets hope Josh can pick afew more points up this weekend now he has been scoring well in EL and a paid max at Sheffield on Thursday! The racing was great last week let's hope it continues as well as the scorpions winning ways!! Good luck scorpions

Debating coming across for my 1st visit whats parking etc like