British Speedway Forum
george.m

What Offends Me And/or Gets On My .....

6 hours ago, Star Lady said:

Funnily enough some of us look at this thread for posts by folk other than yourself. Those folk just don't have your massive ego:P

I think you'll find the one with the massive ego is Mr Addio and his many aliases. Whatever thread he is on he will keep trying to confuse others with his aggressive waffle and attempted put downs.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jrs said:

I think you'll find the one with the massive ego is Mr Addio and his many aliases. Whatever thread he is on he will keep trying to confuse others with his aggressive waffle and attempted put downs.  

Rather strange that two of us were discussing something, and someone has a go at just one. I think there is some sort of issue at play right there. Especially given Addio's viewpoint

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, E I Addio said:

I have actually and it scared the life out of me, more than once. Not my bag I must admit. I get it that horses, and for that matter, greyhounds, enjoy racing, but I don’t see they point of races where they are exposed to that level of danger.

I love horses, spend a few hours every day looking after them. 

If we worry about steeplechase horses then surely we have to call to account every owner who rides their horse on a bridleway or worse, down the road (I do both, horses thrive on exercise) . I have no figures but would bet that far more horses die being ridden daily by their loving owners than race horses. 

The biggest problem for me with race horses is that they are backed and ridden too young. Some are only just over a year old and their bones aren't strong enough. That applies more to flat racing though. I'd have a minimum age of 6 if it were up to me. 

4 hours ago, Vince said:

I love horses, spend a few hours every day looking after them. 

If we worry about steeplechase horses then surely we have to call to account every owner who rides their horse on a bridleway or worse, down the road (I do both, horses thrive on exercise) . I have no figures but would bet that far more horses die being ridden daily by their loving owners than race horses. 

The biggest problem for me with race horses is that they are backed and ridden too young. Some are only just over a year old and their bones aren't strong enough. That applies more to flat racing though. I'd have a minimum age of 6 if it were up to me. 

You and Badge ride horses, I don’t so I have to defer to yours and Badges knowledge but it raises the rather gruesome question of how other horses die. I presume it  would largely be by unforeseeable accidents. In my mind I equate the Grand National with the I.O.M TT races . Every year we know there will be one or more deaths in the TT, but the riders enter of their own volition in full knowledge of the risks. The Grand National seems to me to be a particularly dangerous event where the horses have no choice in the matter. Is it not possible to make the race safer ?

Am I wrong ?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

You and Badge ride horses, I don’t so I have to defer to yours and Badges knowledge but it raises the rather gruesome question of how other horses die. I presume it  would largely be by unforeseeable accidents. In my mind I equate the Grand National with the I.O.M TT races . Every year we know there will be one or more deaths in the TT, but the riders enter of their own volition in full knowledge of the risks. The Grand National seems to me to be a particularly dangerous event where the horses have no choice in the matter. Is it not possible to make the race safer ?

Am I wrong ?

Don't suppose all those horses in the cowboy and western movies had a choice to appear in them, but they did. Many horses have died in battle, don't suppose they were asked to participate, but they did. And what about all those clay pigeons that don't have a choice? ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Don't suppose all those horses in the cowboy and western movies had a choice to appear in them, but they did. Many horses have died in battle, don't suppose they were asked to participate, but they did. And what about all those clay pigeons that don't have a choice? ;)

• I think maybe we can hope we have moved on a bit since horses were running around with half their face blown away at Waterloo . Maybe  we should return to the old days when Kings ( read Presidents and Prime Ministers) led their troops into battle, That should end the war in double quick time ?:D
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, E I Addio said:
  • I think maybe we can hope we have moved on a bit since horses were running around with half their face blown away at Waterloo . Maybe  we should return to the old days when Kings ( read Presidents and Prime Ministers) led their troops into battle, That should end the war in double quick time ?:D

Well, at least in the Grand National, there isn't no-one trying to blow they're chops off!!!,,, but, even with my imagination,,, a can't see Sir Boris with his carriage, along with 6, maybe 8 trusty steeds driving thru the forest getting far past Dick Turpin? 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Well, at least in the Grand National, there isn't no-one trying to blow they're chops off!!!,,, but, even with my imagination,,, a can't see Sir Boris with his carriage, along with 6, maybe 8 trusty steeds driving thru the forest getting far past Dick Turpin? 

Maybe better off heading down 'Old Oil Drum Lane'?

Edited by ruffdiamond

Britain's Got Talent? So let's bring in a professional American singer. :blink:

On 4/14/2022 at 1:54 PM, jrs said:

I don't think you are right there, you are just planting a seed for your own reasons. He started out as CustomMouse and was very open that he had switched to E I Addio.

25 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I don't think you are right there, you are just planting a seed for your own reasons. He started out as CustomMouse and was very open that he had switched to E I Addio.

Who cares what jrs thinks or posts Dave  ? If he wants to snipe from the sidelines instead of meaningful contributions let him. Most people can see he rarely has anything worthwhile to say. Not worth the time of day as far as I am concerned. That's why I never reply to his attention seeking these days.

• Like 4

I still cannot believe that PROFESSIONAL COMMENTATORS can still fail the “what if” test.

In football, striker scores one, hits the bar twice. “He could have had a hat-trick”. No, he @#£&*ing couldn’t, if one of the bar strikes had gone in the net, the whole of the rest of the game would have been totally different. (Yes, I know he could have had a hat-trick, but nothing to do with the bar strikes).

On Friday, similar appeared in the Rugby League, where Bryan Carney said at half time that Wigan (4 points scored) could have had 10 if Farrell hadn’t squandered a clear opportunity in the first minute. No, Bryan, if Farrell had scored, everything post that try would have been totally different. (I don’t think Wigan could have scored 10 first half points anyway!).

On 4/14/2022 at 7:33 PM, E I Addio said:

Am I wrong ?

They did make the race a bit safer a while back but it is still the most challenging steeplechase race. Tame horses rarely have much choice in what they do to be fair. Race horses lead a pampered life compared to the majority. 

It is dangerous for horses and jockeys but I guess it is entirely personal opinion as to what risk is acceptable. What I will say is that the majority of people involved in looking after, riding and training love horses. 

On 4/13/2022 at 6:24 PM, E I Addio said:

No, the question was, “Who said anything about cancelling anything ? 

It's been cancelled.

57 minutes ago, Crumpet91 said:

It's been cancelled.

:D

Outrageous!

• Haha 2