British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

I have been sympathetic to Tai not riding in the UK, however if he turns his back on the national championship that is an insult to the British fans who have supported him.

Yup exactly this, I have no problem with him not riding in the Elite League (in fact don't blame him at all), always believed that he wants/wanted to ride for the national team for pride and not convenience, and wasn't that bothered about him singing the Aussie anthem in Melbourne, but this is a bit of a kick in the teeth, it's two bloody meetings Tai.

Before people start tearing him limb from limb, would it not be prudent to wait for his reasons. As for his nationality as far as I'm aware he was born in Britain, which, whatever anyone says,makes him a British rider. Obviously he's going to have strong feelings for Australia, he lived there for long enough.

• Like 3

hands up, i another who backed him, but just before slagging him off, I think its best to wait til we see reason...

• Like 1

Before people start tearing him limb from limb, would it not be prudent to wait for his reasons. As for his nationality as far as I'm aware he was born in Britain, which, whatever anyone says,makes him a British rider. Obviously he's going to have strong feelings for Australia, he lived there for long enough.

Ok, let's make a list of any reasonable excuses for Tai NOT riding in the British Final this year....

I will go first

1) Tai is having an operation on the day of the British Final.

Edited by Shale Searcher

He says he doesn't want to burn out Lol its 2 bloody meetings. Another kick in the teeth for British speedway

Edited by xmas
  • Like 1

Woffinden has pulled out of the national championship as he tries to become the first Brit to win three individual world championships.

The shock news will be announced this morning but Woffinden has ended fears he will also walk away from the Great Britain squad.

He admits: “I have to look after myself. I cannot afford a repeat of what happened to me in 2014 when I became burnt out mentally and physically.”

But he will definitely skipper the Lions in this summer’s Monster Energy World Cup, their best chance of being crowned champions since 1989.

Great Britiain are seeded direct to the four-nation final as hosts and will look to end the 27-year wait for a gold medal at Belle Vue’s new £7 million National Speedway Stadium.

The 25-year-old world No.1 has won the domestic championship three years in a row and had his sights on smashing Scott Nicholls’ record of seven wins.

He said: “This has been a very difficult call for me. I’ve worked so hard to get to this position and now I have to capitalise.

“It’s not in any way showing disrespect to my national championship, I will always be proud to say I have won the British title in three successive years.”

The Scunthorpe-born Woffinden was brought up in Australia and had the chance to represent either country.

He added: “I am proud to ride for Great Britain, the country of my birth, and I will give the World Cup my total commitment and effort. I will be there!”

• Like 1

Crump was also born in Britain but that didn't make him a British rider.

Tai has been badly advised and could turn out to be the most unpopular Team GB rider soon.

• Like 5

Will burn himself out? How on earth can he manage the World Cup then?

• Like 1

Crump was also born in Britain but that didn't make him a British rider.

Tai has been badly advised and could turn out to be the most unpopular Team GB rider soon.

Mark Loram was born in Malta so what's your point?? You hate Tai anyway so anything you say on this thread will pretty much be ignored anyway. The rest of us believe its a poor decision but will still support him in the World Cup. This is the one rider who has done more for British Speedway in the last 3-4 years than anyone else
  • Like 4

Let's play "Tai Bingo"...

Print out and mark off these phrases as and when they appear over the next few pages..

"He's a disgrace", "He's letting the fans down", "He's not even British", "He's an Aussie",

"I be if it was at Wolves he wouldn't have missed it", "He doesn't care about British Speedway", "First Belle Vue, then this, no wonder nobody goes to Speedway anymore", "He seems to think he is better than everyone else", "When there is no Speedway left in this country, maybe he will think what more he could have done to help it", "I hope this backfires and he fails in winning the World Title", "I bet he will want us to support him at the SWC, yet he couldn't support British Speedway", "They shouldn't let him ride in the SWC", "I for one won't be supporting him in the GP this year" "My five year old son is heartbroken as we had decided to go and watch Tai in the British Final", "He's a disgrace" (again), "He's an Aussie" (again ad infinitum), "He's not even British" (again etc etc etc)..

Most bases covered there I would suspect...

Oh hang on...

"You never see a 'True Brit' like Bomber doing something like this", "He is not only disrespecting the British Title and it's previous proud winners but the Queen and all her subjects too"...

There, now that ought to cover everything...

I didn't fight in six World Wars for my King and Queen for this,

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

Selfish. Everything is a business with him, the way he rinsed British speedway for all it's worth is a business.

Ban the tw*t from Team GB too, I'd rather lose it with 4 REAL Brits who give a toss.

• Like 5

Let's play "Tai Bingo"...

Print out and mark off these phrases as and when they appear over the next few pages..

"He's a disgrace", "He's letting the fans down", "He's not even British", "He's an Aussie",

"I be if it was at Wolves he wouldn't have missed it", "He doesn't care about British Speedway", "First Belle Vue, then this, no wonder nobody goes to Speedway anymore", "He seems to think he is better than everyone else", "When there is no Speedway left in this country, maybe he will think what more he could have done to help it", "I hope this backfires and he fails in winning the World Title", "I bet he will want us to support him at the SWC, yet he couldn't support British Speedway", "They shouldn't let him ride in the SWC", "I for one won't be supporting him in the GP this year" "My five year old son is heartbroken as we had decided to go and watch Tai in the British Final", "He's a disgrace" (again), "He's an Aussie" (again ad infinitum), "He's not even British" (again etc etc etc)..

Most bases covered there I would suspect...

Oh hang on...

"You never see a 'True Brit' like Bomber doing something like this", "He is not only disrespecting the British Title and it's previous proud winners but the Queen and all her subjects too"...

There, now that ought to cover everything

Although that is a good reflection of the 'unthinking reactionaries' the bit about Bomber is perfectly true.

• Like 2

What a tosspott

Even with him in the wc team, wed not win anyway.

Wouldnt bother using him for any british related events ever again.

Sorry but two meetings, ffs how will it burn him out?! Hed breeze through the qualifiers and probably win the final if he was riding a push bike.

Total disregard to the UK and is beyond defendable now. F""k off back to the aussies, selfish bellend

• Like 6