British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Its a major cock up on his part in my opinion, in years to come he will look back and think why on earth did I make that decision. I agree that maybe a few riders should be seeded through to the final but where does it stop, how many ? Bomber, Scott, Cookie ?? It does stick 2 fingers up at us as fans and I thought he had given a years break to his charity work to concentrate on speedway and forgive me for being stupid but is the British title not something to be proud of? no matter what line up it is its still steeped in history. His previous titles and any future titles are now steeped in controversy and bitterness,He could go on and beat Scott's record but it's tainted.

In my eyes he may be world champion but the ego has well and truly landed. Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris may not have the talent as Tai but will always be thought of and regarded as great British riders, the battles they had were great and they wanted that British title above league titles any day. Modern world and speedway today goes to show that 2 meetings for the worlds best rider in his prime against the old boys and Cookie is far too much for him to deal with and will burn him out. Is that the same Scott Nicholls that hasn't wanted to represent his country in a team event but is happy to ride in the British Final representing himself??

Went off him the day he refused my then 10 year old son an autograph before the 2008 PLRC.

• Like 3

yes he raised 1,000s, I'm sure we all have donated, did charity events, ALL amounts are important, not just the big cheques.

Of course his name carries weight in fund raising, I was just pointing out, his charity work isn't really the issue here.

And at no point, did I even suggest it was a publicity stunt.

Woffy as yet, hasn't achieved a Cardiff win, my point was bomber putting one over him in Cardiff, not winning the world title.

Until today I never thought in-different about woffy, but this stinks of the highest order. ONE DAY in a busy top class

quality rider. You will never convince me, one day will change anything about his title bid.

I don't dispute that all amounts are important. The point is, he id it. Many on this thread have questioned him as a person. His charity work highlights how wrong they are. You insinuated that he didn't do it, it was others. I was merely pointing out that isn't correct. So what if he hasn't won in Cardiff? But can you imagine the crowd reaction if he did? It doesn't stink of the highest order, what rot. Your last but one sentence makes no sense. I'm not suggesting it will make any difference, but the point is this is a storm in a tea cup. Lots of riders have done similar & haven't been slated as this. I had forgotten Mark Loram had done one on the British Championship one year, but he is treated like a deity by most Britis fans. It's a load of cobblers & what it stinks of is double standards. Read the posts by Gavan & BWitcher. Get some perspective.

Nobody is perfect but why not try to see the good in Tai.

Loads of GP riders don't ride in the UK. Can't blame them as its a random fixture list that needs to be sorted out and it's not the best paid league.

Maybe being forced to ride in a qualifier for the UK Championship is for a bit pointless and a waste of time when you're the World Champion. Maybe the clever people at the BPSA should give a few wild cards in future years. He hasn't got any bikes over here so it must be a pain in the ass to move them across from Poland or Sweden.

Dont forget the huge amount of money he makes for charity.

He gives 100% for GB in the SWC and will do again in 2016 at Manchester.

• Like 3

Went off him the day he refused my then 10 year old son an autograph before the 2008 PLRC.

went off him today.

I don't dispute that all amounts are important. The point is, he id it. Many on this thread have questioned him as a person. His charity work highlights how wrong they are. You insinuated that he didn't do it, it was others. I was merely pointing out that isn't correct. So what if he hasn't won in Cardiff? But can you imagine the crowd reaction if he did? It doesn't stink of the highest order, what rot. Your last but one sentence makes no sense. I'm not suggesting it will make any difference, but the point is this is a storm in a tea cup. Lots of riders have done similar & haven't been slated as this. I had forgotten Mark Loram had done one on the British Championship one year, but he is treated like a deity by most Britis fans. It's a load of cobblers & what it stinks of is double standards. Read the posts by Gavan & BWitcher. Get some perspective.

pathetic. "double standards" is a two way thing, don't go spouting off to the Sun newspaper to look good, saying how people

used to go and watch the best, Mauger and Briggo......then the best (now) don't give them the opportunity to see them!! double standards my a*se!!

I think it was summed up on here quite nicely last year when someone said he had a total lack of class. Exactly right!

The more you see of him, the less you like.

Swearing on tv last year, great move! How often do you see the likes of Rooney swearing on tv? Never, and there's very good reason for it.

TW doesn't put any bums on seats, no loss, let him go. The British fans should find themselves another hero.

Never hear Rooney swear? Are you having a laugh? He's even been in bother for swearing at England fans after a game.

Well, not knowing the specific circumstances, I can imagine how that would colour your view. It's presumably no consolation to you, but for the record during the time I was covering Wolves I never once saw him refuse an autograph or photograph and he would invariably chat to youngsters in particular while signing/posing for picture. Most speedway riders I've come across do the same, but given the sheer volume of requests in Tai's case it always surprised me a touch just how gracious he was about it.

Some people on here need to look at the bigger picture! All I'm reading is he isn't even British which is just an absurd an easy way to bash him. How often did Holder and Ward do the Aussie champs? Where was Holder this season? The Aussie champs aren't eveb in GP time so no excuses for him not to ride. Nicki Pedersen misses the Danish Champs nothing is said. Greg Hancock doesn't do the Us Champs. Sorry but there are some pathetic bunch of losers on here just looking for the bad in Tai and time after time being up his nationality which just shoes how incredibly thick some of you are. Not one of you people having a go have even bothered to mention the dates of the semis or the final itself! Have you seen the dates or is it easier just to join in with the in crowd and have a whinge. One of you are trotting out 'it's just one more meeting in his schedule, yes it is, smack bang before a GP. Some of you who call yourselves speedway fans are a joke. And do you honestly think more people go because he would have rode??? I doubt it. We followed Mark Loram everywhere but we still went to the British Final when he missed out in 1993.

• Like 3

Never hear Rooney swear? Are you having a laugh? He's even been in bother for swearing at England fans after a game.

I suspect the point is that Rooney doesn't swear while being interviewed.
  • Like 2

Tai's decision not to ride says more about the state/organisation of British Speedway than it does of Him...and If You can;t work that out then.....Well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Marcelle
  • Like 1

Some people on here need to look at the bigger picture! All I'm reading is he isn't even British which is just an absurd an easy way to bash him. How often did Holder and Ward do the Aussie champs? Where was Holder this season? The Aussie champs aren't eveb in GP time so no excuses for him not to ride. Nicki Pedersen misses the Danish Champs nothing is said. Greg Hancock doesn't do the Us Champs. Sorry but there are some pathetic bunch of losers on here just looking for the bad in Tai and time after time being up his nationality which just shoes how incredibly thick some of you are. Not one of you people having a go have even bothered to mention the dates of the semis or the final itself! Have you seen the dates or is it easier just to join in with the in crowd and have a whinge. One of you are trotting out 'it's just one more meeting in his schedule, yes it is, smack bang before a GP. Some of you who call yourselves speedway fans are a joke. And do you honestly think more people go because he would have rode??? I doubt it. We followed Mark Loram everywhere but we still went to the British Final when he missed out in 1993.

agree with a lot you say here Gavan, as I said earlier, TODAY, is the day I lost faith in Tai. Yes I see its a busy schedule, but

I ask anybody again, ...would 1 hectic day ruin his title hopes? if he rode here, I think one missed day would of been accepted.

the fact british fans never see him, I believe its not too much to hope the holder and world champ would grace

the british final. its quite disappointing, but I say again, I agree its a busy period..

Gavan also correct in saying, his attendance wouldn't bring out more people. buster said the same in a ss interview a few weeks ago. hes world champion, but try finding him on the monster energy website!

What a load of verbal diarrhoea most people on here have spouted. Woffinden was born in England & his parents opted to emigrate to Australia. I don't see how that is his fault & anyone in his position will have a natural affinity with the country & it's people. He grew up there & essentially, it is "home" to him. I have a friend who moved there about 3 years ago & already calls it home.

He chose to represent the country of his birth, but could easily have elected to race for Australia, but didn't.

All well and good,but I thought we already had it proved to us on a previous thread that NO,he couldn't ride for Australia as he doesn't qualify under the rules unless they make a special case for him as a top sportsman.It isn't though an easy choice of who he rides for according to the experts as he left Australia before his 16th birthday......

Holder won it 5 times on the trot and missed the last couple of years through injury and taking time out for a break to re energise himself for the current season..............having had several winters recovering from injury and not being able to take part..............

On to Tai..............at the end of the day Tai is going to do what is right for him and rightly or wrongly if he feels taking part in the British Final is detrimental to his health or feels it will burn him out by doing extra meetings then that is his business and no one elses...............the fans cannot dictate who rides in what meeting and threaten to boycott ones he does not take part in...........

Team GB need Tai more than Tai needs Team GB..............without Tai in Team GB we are likely to be humiliated on home shale in the SWC because there is no one who is likely to be in the British Final that is as good as Tai and that can perform in a big event the way that he does............

And yes one hectic day could ruin his title hopes.........what if he took part and was then injured in the meeting and it ended his world title hopes................and before anyone says anything I am aware that could happen at any meeting but sometimes its too bigger risk to take............we do not know what other commitments he may have around that time so why are people pulling him apart for pulling out of one meeting...........

Oh and I think Scunthorpe born even though brought up in Australia is enough to qualify him for Team GB...............you don't see anyone complaining about Mark Loram having represented GB despite being born in Malta.............

RP

• Like 1

How does he qualify for the Australian side? He was born in Britain to British parents. He can't just choose to become an Australian because he lived there as a child.

Personally, my guess would be that this isn't really about 'burn out' and he is saying that as an excuse.

My guess is that he wanted decent money, what with being World Champion and everything, but they wouldn't agree to it.

Just a guess though. Also, let's not forget the frustrations of Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson with British authorities.

I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. I bet he was trying to work out a good deal to perform in a meeting that seems to mean very little these days, and none was forthcoming.

......or maybe because it's not at his "home" track this year like usual and he doesn't want to be beaten by the Belle Vue boys!!