British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

I must admit I am wondering how someone born in Britain to British parents who wears the Union Jack in the GP series and rides for team GB in the WTC is regarded by some as Australian or a closet Australian. Complete nonsense.

Woffinden is that good - and was that good when he was 15 - that he would be world class whatever country he rode for.

I think he should ride in the British Final, but its also nonsense to expect him to ride in a semi final. He should have been seeded.

• Like 6

If the country's overall abilities speedway wise were reversed, IE the UK had a plethora of GP quality riders, but little domestic speedway and Australia were in the doldrums speedway wise, lots of opportunities, but nobody to step into those opportunities, would Tai, as he was living in Australia at the time, May well have gone for Aussie Citizenship, to quickly progress to the GP circus..... And left the UK well alone...

Tell me if you think that scenario is in the realms of fantasy or not...?

He was a 15 year old kid at the time. I'm sure any decisions were made by his parents.

By coming back to the UK at that time he effectively would have waived his right to Australian citizenship.

I'm sure all the decisions taken from his family would have been speedway rather than citizenship based.

• Like 1

I think he was being sarcastic. Hope so anyway!!

Ha Ha, You spotted it......!

The ironic thing is that Tai is giving up one (definately within his reach) individual medal potential to focus on 'The Big Prize'...

I would suggest that with all due respect to the British Final, the winner (even if Tai won it) won't be on Breakfast TV, Talksport, 5live etc the way Tai was when he had became World Champion. So I would suggest no great impact to the sport over here whether he is there or not...

I would also say that as Tai was coming 'through the ranks'in Aussie, he would have had more chance of team success nailing his colours to the Oz mast through residency application..

Instead he chose to throw his lot in with GB....

A GB team for whom he has been outstanding, and hopefully in front of a full house at Belle Vue later in the year will be outstanding again...

Possibly being born here, and for the first few years of his life living here, and with both his parents being British, has gone some way in him wanting to ride for GB?

Who would have thought?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

Surely that, in itself, indicates that winning the British title isn't as significant as some people are trying to make us believe.

The reason for the seeding would, presumably, have been to give a British rider a better chance of being World Champion.

The thinking is not so different really.

When I went to speedway becoming British Champion was looked upon as an honour amongst the British/Australian/New Zealand contingent. The fact that it was part of the qualifying system back then also attached more significance to the meeting. Peter being the reigning World Champion was 'rewarded' a bye which he accepted knowing how the British Final often proved a difficult obstacle. Many good riders went by the way side at that stage of the proceedings. Unfortunately the British Final no longer has that same importance or significance and, as I've noted elsewhere, does it bare any relevance to the present GP qualifying system?

Peter's case was a one off as far as I can recall but I do remember a case being put forward for Kenny Carter (1984?) to be given a 'bye' but it fell on death ears! In my opinion 'seeding' riders will always prove controversial. I recall the Danes getting 'bogged down' on more than one occasion when it elected to 'seed' riders which didn't meet with the approval of certain parties within the Danish contingent!

I no longer go to speedway but I do know that I would be disappointed not to get the chance to see a British World Champion at the British Final...whether he was already in the GP series or not.

A few observations so far:

To those who say the British Final means nothing these days, it could be argued that it's because of riders who decide they don't want to ride in it. If they don't want to turn up, why should the BSPA or the fans bother with the event? Or even the rest of the riders? Won't folks be saying "X is British Champion, but we all know Woffy would have beaten him had he ridden"? It devalues the prestige of the title, and it devalues the event for the paying fans.

As for nationality, you can argue he was born here, he was brought up there, but it's clear where his heart is. That's entirely fair enough, but I can see why some people are seeing it as a snub. And to make matters worse, he seems to be rubbing people up the wrong way with what could easily be seen as arrogance on Twitter. Why not just say "I've made my decision" and leave it at that - it would be the more mature and professional thing to do.

FInal point is that when a Pole, Dane or Swede is picking and choosing his meetings, or prioritising one country over another, the majority say we don't need them, but if they take that stance over Tai they're "Woffy haters" and unpatriotic? Is it not just consistency of argument?

:)

• Like 2

If the BSPA had offered to seed Woffinden directly to the final and he had turned it down then I could understand a degree of disappointment/displeasure aimed at him.

As it stands, the BSPA have arranged the British semi-finals either side of a GP. There isn't a cat in hells chance that Woffinden should even consider riding in the semi on the Friday night before, that would be ludicrous.

On the Sunday afterwards there is a meeting arranged for those who suffered through the debacle of Warsaw last year. No doubt Woffinden is either contracted, or under heavy pressure to ride in that. Of course, he could disappoint 50,000 fans and let them down by not bothering.

As for those saying if he can ride on Sunday in Poland, he can ride in the UK and it makes no difference.. are you serious? He is already in Warsaw, as are his bikes.. the meeting is at the same stadium!

FInal point is that when a Pole, Dane or Swede is picking and choosing his meetings, or prioritising one country over another, the majority say we don't need them, but if they take that stance over Tai they're "Woffy haters" and unpatriotic? Is it not just consistency of argument?

If the two things were related you might have a point, but they're not. The argument is we don't need Woffinden for the national team... how do foreign riders fit into that argument? "Nicki Pedersen is prioritising other countries over the UK! Don't pick him for Team GB!"... afraid to say, even on this forum, nobody has been dumb enough to argue such a thing... so your 'lack of consistency argument' doesn't really work.

On the one hand I think Tai should be at the British Final, infact IMO he should be racing in our EL, but he isn't. He doesn't base himself here for his racing, doesn't have an EL club, so I can quite understand his decision not to take a place in this years Final.

A few observations so far:

To those who say the British Final means nothing these days, it could be argued that it's because of riders who decide they don't want to ride in it. If they don't want to turn up, why should the BSPA or the fans bother with the event? Or even the rest of the riders? Won't folks be saying "X is British Champion, but we all know Woffy would have beaten him had he ridden"? It devalues the prestige of the title, and it devalues the event for the paying fans.

As for nationality, you can argue he was born here, he was brought up there, but it's clear where his heart is. That's entirely fair enough, but I can see why some people are seeing it as a snub. And to make matters worse, he seems to be rubbing people up the wrong way with what could easily be seen as arrogance on Twitter. Why not just say "I've made my decision" and leave it at that - it would be the more mature and professional thing to do.

strange post. The British final doesn't mean anything much anymore because of 2 reasons. Firstly it is no longer a stepping stone along the world championship stage. Riders who have had a poor 2 or 3 rides now know they can't win it or even be a wildcard. In the old days 6 points may have got you through to the Commenwealth Final so it was cut and thrust. Also the depth of talent means it isn't a showpiece anymore. Who outside of Tai Cook Nicholls and Harris could win it?. I went to my first final in 1990. Tatum Cross Doncaster Havelock Wigg Dugard Loram Louis Thorp Silver Screen, the list of quality went on and on. To get to the final was an honour we had quarter finals back then such was the number of riders. Now we have the field made up of premier league riders. Tai is the first rider of any note I can remember pulling out since Mark Loram so your claim the riders are devaluing it is rubbish. You also state that Tai was always going to win it. Really???? 5 races yes maybe but when its a sudden death final the other 3 top boys could all beat him or did you not see the first attempt of the final last year??
  • Like 1

It is just Tai's way of saying. I am not wasting my time riding in this, there is noone in any of the British teams who can beat me, I am just in another league to them, so why waste my time coming over to race in it..

One thing, it may just make it a bit more interesting as there are a number of young Brits now coming through the ranks. Be n ice to see just how far along they have come.

I wonder what would happen if Magic told the Poles he wasn't going to ride in the Polish Championship????.............................. ........

I wonder what would happen if Magic told the Poles he wasn't going to ride in the Polish Championship????.............................. ........

I wonder what would happen if Hancock told the Americans.

Or Holder told the Australians.

Or Nicki withdrew from the Danish Final.

how did your rider Chris Holder get on in the Aussie champs this year??

I think the focus should be on Tai Woffinden and his reasons. Comparing to others such as Nicholls, Richardson, Wigg, Cox, Holder, and so on, just muddies the water.

Facts are: He is skipping a British Final that if - as he claims "i done more in the last 3 years then any other rider" - will lower the crowd, and hard British Speedway.

Reason given: Burn out.

Riders have all sorts of reasons but to claim this is stupid. Furthermore, he tweets about how difficult it is to get a strong 16 or 32 etc. So hardly a burn out threat then. From a competitive point of view, perhaps he should remember when he was up and coming, he wanted to race against the best - now British youngsters don't get that? This is their wild card at a GP, it is their opportunity.....

His arrogance is boundless, and it is a shame he hasn't been kept more grounded. Comments that it will give others a chance are crass and disrepectful to GB team mates and competition. Claims that he does so much for the sport.....people on here use his charity raising efforts. Whilst thoroughly commendable, it should not be used as a tool to promote a sport or oneself. Billions are raised for charity in the UK, and by many unsung heroes.

He is a big talent but only in the GP or on the continent. How many "new" people to the sport are aware of him or attracted by him over the last 3 years in the UK? Very few, as they cannot see him and even some Speedway fans don't follow him as they cannot access his scores abroad or ignore GPs in favour of the grass roots of the sport - the grass roots that helped him flourish. The GPs have become stale and on minor TV channels. Getting in newspapers with declining circulations or constantly tweeting Keith Lemon to try and get onto his TV show is no biggie.

I would say the Glasgow owners have attracted more people to the sport over the last three years than Woffinden. And they have been featured in the Herald and Scottish Sun lately too! Ben Barker no less.

If he wants to help the sport, perhaps make appearances at Plymouth or Glasgow (like Bomber did at the PL final, and last week), or Edinburgh (Nicholls and Cook). He is the World Champion and wasting a fine opportunity to bound with fans and promote the sport outwith the ever decreasing circle of GP followers.

• Like 3

I think you're mistaking the Danish, Swedish and US Finals of the World Championship, with the Danish, Swedish and US Championships. Separate events.

All the best

Rob

Yep you are right Rob. My mistake. Point still remains for Collins and Mauger though

He is a big talent but only in the GP or on the continent. How many "new" people to the sport are aware of him or attracted by him over the last 3 years in the UK? Very few, as they cannot see him and even some Speedway fans don't follow him as they cannot access his scores abroad or ignore GPs in favour of the grass roots of the sport - the grass roots that helped him flourish

Didn't he get a lot of national media coverage after he won the title?That sort of thing attracts 'new' people i'd have thought

Edited by iris123