Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Best of luck to England in the World T20 on Sunday..

Hoping that Eoin Morgan (Irish) can lift the trophy.

He will I am sure need a good game from Ben Stokes (Kiwi) or should that be 'Ben Stoked'?

As well as vital contributions from Jason Roy (South African) and Chris Jordan (Barbadian)

Cannot wait to cheer on the lads to possibly the greatest victory against the odds since Andrew Strauss (South African) lifted the 'Ashes Urn' in 2005. With Kevin Petersen (South African) playing a major part in the success with his superb batting and Geraint Jones (Papua New Guinean) having a great series behind the wickets...

With the recent five nations victory at Rugby led by great performances from Mako Vunipola (Kiwi) and Billy Vunipola (Australian). It could be a great few weeks for 'English' sport..

Let's hope Tai Woffinden (English) can win the World Title this year....

Point taken, but it was Michael Vaughan (Lancastrian originally) who lifted the Ashes in 2005.

• Like 1

Point taken, but it was Michael Vaughan (Lancastrian originally) who lifted the Ashes in 2005.

Course it was....

Never a true Yorkshireman!!!😁

Flag of convenience because he couldn't get in Lankys team!!!😀

If Ecclestone thinks F1 is like The Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger at the moment,is British speedway like Gerry without the Pacemakers?

Well Come the GPs, I for one will be supporting BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION Tai Woffinden ALL THE WAY...I don't give a Shiny Sh1te what some of you think...As for the British Final..time for the Young Guns to step up..If Bomber or Scott wins it again...WOW! ;):drink:

• Like 3

Lets hope if they do win the cricket they stay with there clubs in England and back the game here and put something back into the sport ....I hear others turn there back on the sport in the uk that built them up

I agree with you on most things but not this I'm afraid.

What about if I take a job with a new employer doing the same job I do now? Am I 'turning my back' on my employer? Should I not take that job? Am I beholden to my existing employer as they trained me in that job and gave me the skills necessary to do it? What do I owe them?

Nothing - they paid me to do a job, I did the job and took that money.

Loyalty means a lot to fans, but ultimately means a lot less to employees - which is what riders are.

Are you saying it would be silly of them to do that? i.e. if they made no money from it?

From their point of view, yes.

I agree with you on most things but not this I'm afraid.

What about if I take a job with a new employer doing the same job I do now? Am I 'turning my back' on my employer? Should I not take that job? Am I beholden to my existing employer as they trained me in that job and gave me the skills necessary to do it? What do I owe them?

Nothing - they paid me to do a job, I did the job and took that money.

Loyalty means a lot to fans, but ultimately means a lot less to employees - which is what riders are.

I respect your opinion a lot ...and I agree with you with what you say and understand that people move on to better jobs etc ...the people who run the sport in the uk we all agree a complete mess of everything hence why the sport in on it's knees even here the way they have got abouts things on the dates etc is a complete cock up ....I just fell strongly in this case and where the sport is and with Tai being world champion he should make a massive effort to help and promote the league and the sport in the uk I don't look it like a normal 9 to 5 job etc it's more than that .

Uk speedway helped to put Tai where he is I think the least he could do if he cares about British speedway is to ride in it's final .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

From their point of view, yes.

So it would therefore be silly for Woffinden to ride in the British Final.

Glad we established that.

BWitcher get home from Portugal and actually see a meeting :)

• Like 1

BWitcher get home from Portugal and actually see a meeting :)

I would, but I don't want to burn myself out :)

• Like 5

Best of luck to England in the World T20 on Sunday..

Hoping that Eoin Morgan (Irish) can lift the trophy.

He will I am sure need a good game from Ben Stokes (Kiwi) or should that be 'Ben Stoked'?

As well as vital contributions from Jason Roy (South African) and Chris Jordan (Barbadian)

Cannot wait to cheer on the lads to possibly the greatest victory against the odds since Andrew Strauss (South African) lifted the 'Ashes Urn' in 2005. With Kevin Petersen (South African) playing a major part in the success with his superb batting and Geraint Jones (Papua New Guinean) having a great series behind the wickets...

With the recent five nations victory at Rugby led by great performances from Mako Vunipola (Kiwi) and Billy Vunipola (Australian). It could be a great few weeks for 'English' sport..

Let's hope Tai Woffinden (English) can win the World Title this year....

H'ow many of these sportsmen you name belt out the national anthem of the country they don't represent when representing their err adopted countries . NON.

• Like 2

So it would therefore be silly for Woffinden to ride in the British Final.

Glad we established that.

They dont get paid for the british final at all then, do they?

They dont get paid for the british final at all then, do they?

I'd imagine not enough to make much profit after bringing bikes back to the UK twice...

Tai has been backed by all promotors on this as they understand his reasons. Chris Louis has gone on record as saying he would do the same thing in Tai's position

Its just a few keyboard warriors on here who feel the need to have a go

• Like 4

H'ow many of these sportsmen you name belt out the national anthem of the country they don't represent when representing their err adopted countries . NON.

NON - is that French for No? A mark of respect to know the words of another country's National Anthem (I know a few and could sing along to them). Believe Tai knows the words to the Polish National Anthem too, so wouldn't be surprised if you see him singing along to that as well. Would you be up in arms about this too? Then he has gone to the trouble of learning to speak Polish (another sign of his massive professionalism), as it seems that you have with the French language. Very impressive, oui :D

Tai is a professional 21st century sportsman and has made a professional decision to further his ambition to win further World Titles. He was born in Britain, to British parents, therefore he is British and represents the ACU in international events. There is no longer an obligation for an ACU licensed rider to take part in the British Championship. If you believe the British Title meant nothing to him, then witness his disappointment when he failed to previously. The World Title is the pinnacle in his chosen sport. Currently, Tai has achieved more as a Britain in Individual World Championship terms since Peter Craven in 1962. Back to back Titles achieved this year will seal Tai's claim to be the greatest British World Title achiever in history. Holding an affinity to another country does not and will not alter this. His competing in this year's British Title would not be a panacea to the sport's woes in Britain. The issues go far deeper than this and, maybe, his omission from the British Final is another sign of these rather than a reason.

• Like 5