British Speedway Forum
SCB

No Woffinden....

Tai has been backed by all promotors on this as they understand his reasons.

So you're happy to listen to and agree with, the very people who, for the most part, have got the sport into the state it's in in this country?

Slight flaw in the logic there I think...

• Like 1

I must be old fashioned but a World Champion you never watch race just doesn't mean much. He's distanced himself from British Speedway. Good on him if he wins it again, there's no doubt he's a great rider ...... enjoy him in Poland and Sweden people!

• Like 2

Nope

And of course .you have posted that . so thats the definitive word on the subject . close the thread quickly. Dave the mic has spoken no more to be said here . no more need for anyone to disagree with the holy trinity .

NON - is that French for No? A mark of respect to know the words of another country's National Anthem (I know a few and could sing along to them). Believe Tai knows the words to the Polish National Anthem too, so wouldn't be surprised if you see him singing along to that as well. Would you be up in arms about this too? Then he has gone to the trouble of learning to speak Polish (another sign of his massive professionalism), as it seems that you have with the French language. Very impressive, oui :D

and of course a mark of respect to talk and mess about while the anthem of the country you claim (Only inPublic of course ) to be yours is being sung , and have to be told by greg hancock to show some respect for !! If Woffinden has learned Polish thats because it has some benefit for him ,and no other reason , probably going to try for Polich citizenship so he can ride for them in the World Cup , they pay well I hear .

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

and of course a mark of respect to talk and mess about while the anthem of the country you claim (Only inPublic of course ) to be yours is being sung , and have to be told by greg hancock to show some respect for !! If Woffinden has learned Polish thats because it has some benefit for him ,and no other reason , probably going to try for Polich citizenship so he can ride for them in the World Cup , they pay well I hear .

Aww diddums, your jealousy just keeps seeping out.

Winners make sacrifices, commit to things that will help them to achieve their goals.

Losers bleat about it being everybody elses fault.

A lesson you still haven't learned :)

how many under 30s give a fig about the national anthem? How many know all the words?

I am patriotic myself but have no desire for God (who many believe doesn't exist) to save a queen who i belive has no right to be the head of the nation

how did we feel when New Zealanders were riding for GB in the past? How did the kiwis feel? How loyal yo NZ were Briggs and Mauger?

Frankly the whole nationalism thing is a load of balls - he's made a business decision like any sane person would.

The British Final takes place in front of 2/3000 people in a one sided dog track - its a real big deal isn't it

I must be old fashioned but a World Champion you never watch race just doesn't mean much. He's distanced himself from British Speedway. Good on him if he wins it again, there's no doubt he's a great rider ...... enjoy him in Poland and Sweden people!

Yes I recall the comments made by Promoters/Fans/Journalists etc who thought that Bruce Penhall winning in 1982 (and retiring) and Egon Muller winning in 1983 suggesting how that would prove detrimental to domestic speedway in not having the World Champion riding in what was then regarded the Premier domestic league. These same sources also stated how important it was to have a British World Champion. One could argue that with Penhall's demise the sport has been on a downward spiral since (I don't personally agree with that assumption) but there is no getting away from the fact that domestic speedway in this country now appears to bare very little importance regarding the bigger picture. More's the shame!

Edited by steve roberts

Yes I recall the comments made by Promoters/Fans/Journalists etc who thought that Bruce Penhall winning in 1982 (and retiring) and Egon Muller winning in 1983 suggesting how that would prove detrimental to domestic speedway in not having the World Champion riding in what was then regarded the Premier domestic league. These same sources also stated how important it was to have a British World Champion. One could argue that with Penhall's demise the sport has been on a downward spiral since (I don't personally agree with that assumption) but there is no getting away from the fact that domestic speedway in this country now appears to bare very little importance regarding the bigger picture. More's the shame!

Did having the 1992 and the 2000 world champ help British speedway?Doesn't seem to me that it did much good.The trouble is,it is not only having a British world champ that is going to make much difference,you need a character that can attract media attention and fans.Even then it takes much more to get the sport out of trouble.I recall a season after Nicki P won 1 of his titles that the Danish clubs were disappointed that it had made little or no difference to their crowds and you can't get a more popular or charismatic speedway rider than Nicki for the danes.....

I also linked to a US article "Greg who?" or something in which it mentioned that Hamcock was a relative unknown in his country despite winning his latest title and obviously despite being very patriotic as people have mentioned .I honestly think it is promoters who don't really have a clue how to promote the sport,hoping that by magic,having a British world champ is somehow going to do their job for them

Edited by iris123

Did having the 1992 and the 2000 world champ help British speedway?Doesn't seem to me that it did much good.The trouble is,it is not only having a British world champ that is going to make much difference,you need a character that can attract media attention and fans.Even then it takes much more to get the sport out of trouble.I recall a season after Nicki P won 1 of his titles that the Danish clubs were disappointed that it had made little or no difference to their crowds and you can't get a more popular or charismatic speedway rider than Nicki for the danes.....

I was stepping away from speedway at that point so can't make an in depth analysis from that era but my observations were based on when speedway was still enjoying national attention via newspapers and TV back in the early/middle eighties. The commentators then were suggesting that not having a World Champion racing in Britain would prove harmful and it's fair to say that speedway started to loose popularity around that time. Whether it was due to not having the World Champion ridding in Britain (1983 & 1984) is debatable.

Personally if I still attended speedway I would enjoy the spectacle of watching the present World Champion competing but that's my personal view...leave others to debate.

Edited by steve roberts

Maybe it is relevant to go right back to the 80s or even 60s.Not sure on that.Looking at recent times it is possibly only TRick + Sweden that have gained from having a world champ.I think even by the time Gollob won his title Poland was on the way down.Maybe Nicki's first title boosted the league in Denmark and that is why they were disappointed it made no difference by 2008......

I also linked to a US article "Greg who?" or something in which it mentioned that Hamcock was a relative unknown in his country despite winning his latest title and obviously despite being very patriotic as people have mentioned .I honestly think it is promoters who don't really have a clue how to promote the sport,hoping that by magic,having a British world champ is somehow going to do their job for them

Haha, Nicki, perhaps not as popular as one would think, even in Denmark eh .... perhaps the promoters didn't promote his presence well enough? I guess we all expect the World Champion to do something extraordinary at our local tracks, Tai made a special, brave move to get round NKI at Lynn in our Polish challenge meeting, but if the World Champ isn't up for a bit of magic ....... there is noooo doubt that the World Champ, if promoted properly, will bring in extra punters (here, anyway, I'm convinced of that). I think though with riders racing in so many leagues and the looooooong world championship campaign (in which they 100% give their all, BSI can't lose can they!) perhaps they don't give 100% in some meetings (save themselves!) to the detriment of the racing. Might be totally wrong .....

Tai has been backed by all promotors on this as they understand his reasons. Chris Louis has gone on record as saying he would do the same thing in Tai's position

Its just a few keyboard warriors on here who feel the need to have a go

Not sure what a keyboard warrior is ....someone who does not agree with you ?

• Like 2

Haha, Nicki, perhaps not as popular as one would think, even in Denmark eh .... perhaps the promoters didn't promote his presence well enough? I guess we all expect the World Champion to do something extraordinary at our local tracks, Tai made a special, brave move to get round NKI at Lynn in our Polish challenge meeting, but if the World Champ isn't up for a bit of magic ....... there is noooo doubt that the World Champ, if promoted properly, will bring in extra punters (here, anyway, I'm convinced of that). I think though with riders racing in so many leagues and the looooooong world championship campaign (in which they 100% give their all, BSI can't lose can they!) perhaps they don't give 100% in some meetings (save themselves!) to the detriment of the racing. Might be totally wrong .....

You normally are :rofl:

But I think you and I both hit on the main point "if promoted properly"........were Havelock and Loram's titles promoted properly and used to boost the sport? And who is out there to promote Tai properly?The sport isn't where it is because of a lack of home grown world champs and it isn't where it is because tai won't be riding in the British final.It is quite possible that the Danes saw things wrong and the fans only turn out to see Nicki in big meetings and it made no difference to a league meeting at Vojens or Slangerup.Maybe it was the same for Loram and Havelock and probably at the moment Tai's title would make little difference to attendances at Scunthorpe or King's Lynn

after reading these posts thank god fans don't run speedway , seems some think when his parents emigrated to oz he should have told them I want to go back to the uk at the age of 3 !, some gonna boo him at the Cardiff GP even though he's this countries only chance of having a speedway world champion for the foreseeable future , best British rider but shouldn't be in our World Cup squad because he isn't riding in the British final ! Don't see the moto GP boys or Wsb boys riding in the BSB , don't think the get booed at the British rounds . If British riders were as good as Woofy then they would probably be making the same decisions as him , fact is he's light years apart from them . We should celebrate we have a British multi world champion and the fact that he is a multi world champion gives the sport a higher profile than riding in the British final does in fact him not being in the British final has raised the profile more of our sport than him being in it would

• Like 2

Tai has been backed by all promotors on this as they understand his reasons. Chris Louis has gone on record as saying he would do the same thing in Tai's position

Its just a few keyboard warriors on here who feel the need to have a go

Keyboard warriors being the British Speedway fans who he will want support from at Cardiff and Belle Vue in the WTC, they the Keyboard Warriors?

Tai Woffinden is Tai Woffinden, he is his own person and makes his own decisions, but for the sake of doing an extra meeting for his own country (yes he is an Ozzy blah blah blah) is poor stuff.

Keyboard warriors being the British Speedway fans who he will want support from at Cardiff and Belle Vue in the WTC, they the Keyboard Warriors?

Tai Woffinden is Tai Woffinden, he is his own person and makes his own decisions, but for the sake of doing an extra meeting for his own country (yes he is an Ozzy blah blah blah) is poor stuff.

The British Final is an individual event, it has nothing to do with representing your country.

That he will do at the Speedway World Cup.