British Speedway Forum

You are allowed an opinion that's not the issue. You said Kyle Newman could win a British Final. My opinion is he has to actually get there first and yes he was injured this time around but he is not good enough to win a final. Your basing this on Paul Starke who also isn't good enough to win a British Final. Starke had a great meeting on a track he likes, think he may have struggled if it was at Wolves for example. I think if fit Newman would have struggled to get out of the Glasgow semi. I agree on British final night anything can happen but Newman isn't as good as Worrall who made the final or Garrity who scored 5. I would have had Newman getting 4 or 5 in that line up

• Like 1

Surely it can be fact if he has a better average for a season and a half but each to their own.

The qualifier is held on a PL track so their EL average means nothing and they both have 6pt averages in PL (Whilst Garrity & Worrall,mentioned in other post have 8avg)

Newman has been very poor on his visits to Glasgow whilst Starke impressive so he may not have even qualified for the final esp when up against riders like Worralls, Lawson, Cook, Nicholls & Wright.

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 3

You are allowed an opinion that's not the issue. You said Kyle Newman could win a British Final. My opinion is he has to actually get there first and yes he was injured this time around but he is not good enough to win a final. Your basing this on Paul Starke who also isn't good enough to win a British Final. Starke had a great meeting on a track he likes, think he may have struggled if it was at Wolves for example. I think if fit Newman would have struggled to get out of the Glasgow semi. I agree on British final night anything can happen but Newman isn't as good as Worrall who made the final or Garrity who scored 5. I would have had Newman getting 4 or 5 in that line up

o

Well done Gavan. You've answered others without resorting to name calling and acknowledging that it is an opinion and not fact.

Was much easier and more pleasant to read and FWIW having read it I share your opinion

• Like 2

I think it is now time for something radical. We have a national stadium, and it's fantastic. It's fast, well prepared (eventually) and modern. Similar to the big European tracks that we lament our riders have no experience upon.

The future is the kids from the National League, and upwards. Bomber & Nicholls have been great servants, but they aren't the future. In terms of the World Cup team, Woffy is a given, but one experienced rider (Nicholls/Harris - I would go Nicholls), Lambert and a couple of kids. We won't win it, but we have to plan for the future/ Why not put an aspiring National League rider at reserve?? Let's think 5 years hence, not "damage limitation"?? Danny King was brilliant on Monday, but is he the future for the 2020 final? That is where we need to be aiming.

'kids' don't learn a thing trailing half a lap behind the other 3 riders though. they're ready when they're ready and not before. i think king has earned his spot , it wasn't a big shock, he's riding well, it wasn't home track knowledge. agree there's no room for bomber and scotty. for me it's woofy, cook, king,lambert & ellis .

Woffy,Cook,Lambert,The last spot is up for grabs IMO but to overlook King in favour of Harris or Nichols would be a it unfair ,given the the result on Monday.

I think it would have been a good idea to have a thread discussing the British Final. Maybe we should start one.

• Like 2

Cook has to be a shoe in.

Woffy, Woffy, Woofy

Cook

S Worral

Lambert

No insult to King just give him time to settle. Cook could easily be riding another ten years so don't think it's fair to bring age into it, wheras Nicholls and Harris are at the other end of their careers.

You blame Gavan, he is not capable of holding any sort of conversation/ debate without turning nasty, yes, he really should be banned after some of the language that he has displayed, But there does seem to be a certain amount of favoritisum on this forum.. Although doubt you will go along with that..

Nobody was the target of the post you quoted, more a general opinion of what I was reading on a thread that was supposed to be about the British Final, that had yet again turned into a name calling slagging match. IMO if one or more posters are attacking the poster rather than the post that goes against forum rules and they should be warned or banned.

It's a very difficult choice. King was impressive all night and didn't ride badly when Coveney visited but the track for the British Final was hopefully, far different than the track we shall see in the SWC. It was wet and heavy and therefore not necessarily a good guide to who will cope with it best at the end of July.

I would go for Woffinden, Cook and Lambert and choose the best from Harris, Nicholls and King based on form much closer to the meeting. Nicholls will have done more laps around the NSS, Harris, often a slow starter to the season and may have come into form and King may have shown his victory was no flash in the pan. Likewise, the UK reserve,pick whoever is in form at the time. Ellis,if he is fit and in the form he was at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

Cook has to be a shoe in.

Cook could easily be riding another ten years so don't think it's fair to bring age into it, wheras Nicholls and Harris are at the other end of their careers.

Cook is already 29. Heading towards the end of his career. He came to the sport far too late. No point saying Hancock is still going because the guys a freak. Most riders careers stop rising around 30. Cook is more or less at his best now.

Cook is already 29. Heading towards the end of his career. He came to the sport far too late. No point saying Hancock is still going because the guys a freak. Most riders careers stop rising around 30. Cook is more or less at his best now.

That's because most riders start riding at a much younger age.

Sam Ermolenko didn't start racing till he was 21/22.. he peaked aged 33 and arguably only injuries slowed him up from there.

I recall a certain John Louis starting at 28 and doing quite well!

A lower level but Martin Goodwin had his best years in his thirties while riding for Rye House. Qualifying for (and from) a British Final.

Craig Cook may not peak until his mid thirties.

• Like 3

Loram was 30. Crump won two. Rickardsson 3 and Gollob and Ermolenko 1. Then you have Hancock. I would say a lot of top riders hit there peak in their 30's so Cook could get better in the next 5 years
  • Like 1

Loram was 30. Crump won two. Rickardsson 3 and Gollob and Ermolenko 1. Then you have Hancock. I would say a lot of top riders hit there peak in their 30's so Cook could get better in the next 5 years

I think Craig Cook still has the potential to be a top line rider.

Mind you it does make you wonder whether or not it is age that is holding him back cracking riding the foreign leagues.