British Speedway Forum

I think it would have been a good idea to have a thread discussing the British Final. Maybe we should start one.

There is one. :o It's on the "News & Discussions" page. :neutral:

It's a very difficult choice. King was impressive all night and didn't ride badly when Coveney visited but the track for the British Final was hopefully, far different than the track we shall see in the SWC. It was wet and heavy and therefore not necessarily a good guide to who will cope with it best at the end of July.

Hmmm, Manchester, July, ,,,,,,,,, it'll be exactly the same, :lol:

I think Craig Cook still has the potential to be a top line rider.

Mind you it does make you wonder whether or not it is age that is holding him back cracking riding the foreign leagues.

Just dont see it. A second heat leader at very best. The riders like Crump, Lora,. Trick etc were hugely experienced when they won their title. Granted Louis started at a very late age and that would never happen today.

Cook has done well but a Davey Watt or David Norris at best.

Might be different if Cookie rode for Poole!!

• Like 1

nice to see GB team selection make the daily star today. for once, we are back to a selection, rather than automatic picks.

imo the 3 automatic ones are tai, cook and lambet...

Might be different if Cookie rode for Poole!!

Why? Wont make much difference to the rider he is or will be. He is not as good as Holder and wont be as good as Andersen was.

Why dont Polish clubs give him a chance? Easy answer.

nice to see GB team selection make the daily star today. for once, we are back to a selection, rather than automatic picks.

Lambert should be reserve.

• Like 1

No British Champ ?.

No British Champ ?.

not automatic imo. yes he had a great night, but whose to say next week, bomber has a stormer, nicholls even? yes king is british champ, but I'm nowhere near convinced hes a international standard....just my opinion

not automatic imo. yes he had a great night, but whose to say next week, bomber has a stormer, nicholls even? yes king is british champ, but I'm nowhere near convinced hes a international standard....just my opinion

Fair enough, though King does have experience of SWC from last year, and as he showed last Monday looked very impressive on the track. IMO Woffinden and Lambert should be two certs, after that its a toss up between Nicholls, Cook and King as to who gets the last two places. Then we need an Under-21 reserve.

• Like 1

Steve, on current form that would be a crazy decision.

What's your reason for putting Lambert at reserve for GB?

Why? Wont make much difference to the rider he is or will be. He is not as good as Holder and wont be as good as Andersen was.

The difference is that Cook looks after his physical fitness which wil enable him to ride for quite a few years yet. Whether he will improve further and by how much is a matter of opinion but I suspect I have seen a lot more of him than you have and he is certainly capable of being a number one in the EL.

You are right that there is an easy answer as to why he has not been given a chance in Poland although I suspect not the one you were implying. His problems in Poland and his early form here were down to his Holloway tuned engines. His performances, admittedly only 3 meetings, since changing to PJR so far speak for themselves.

• Like 1

no i agree Cook won't reach the heights of Holder but he could still get better and he is already a better rider than Davey Watt ever was and lets be fair Norris only had 2 good seasons at the latter end of his career. Why Lambert at reserve? Surely he has to be in the 4? Would be wasted at reserve and not being used

I've also said the last place should be a toss up between King and Nicholls. King did ok in the league meeting but looked sensational in the British Final. However Nicholls beat him twice on the league meeting and beat him on Monday as well. It's still a month away and that 4th spot is a toss up for me. No way should Lambert only be a reserve

Just coming back to ask the same question.

In previous seasons the reserve was used tactically, but this is now not allowed so yes put him in the top four.

• Like 1