British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Danes Threaten Boycott Of Gp Quali

Looks like there's more to it, and that other club managers are annoyed by perceived favouritism towards Slangerup. It's been reported that Slangerup have received a greater

share of the TV money, and that they were given priority over other clubs when being asked to host GP qualifying rounds.

I should say I made a mistake with one of my earlier comments in that Stefan Kristjansson isn't on the board of the DMU, rather he's head of

the Sports Commision that works directly under the DMU, so apologies for incorrectly writing that.

I've read some of the articles about this and there it have said that he is also from Slangerup speedway or representing Slangerup speedway.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Yes, that's where the conflict lies. He's one of the two chairmen of Slangerup, but also on the Sports Commission that is taking these unpopular decisions. The DMU are supporting the stance of the Commission.

Yes, that's where the conflict lies. He's one of the two chairmen of Slangerup, but also on the Sports Commission that is taking these unpopular decisions. The DMU are supporting the stance of the Commission.

The actual FIM GP quali first round in Denmark was first being held in Munkebo. Thats how it is in all calendars prior mid March or similar. Have no idea why, but it was then just changed to Slangerup.

The actual FIM GP quali first round in Denmark was first being held in Munkebo. Thats how it is in all calendars prior mid March or similar. Have no idea why, but it was then just changed to Slangerup.

From what I understand Munkebo gave it up (I think it was financial reasons, but would have to double check that) so it was given to Slangerup without, as is being reported, being offered to the other clubs.

Edit: The DMU have responded to that by saying Slangerup offered at short notice. I haven't seen any response to the accusations about the TV money.

Edited by June01

From what I understand Munkebo gave it up (I think it was financial reasons, but would have to double check that) so it was given to Slangerup without, as is being reported, being offered to the other clubs.

I don't know either but Munkebo was having all sorts of track problems last season so it could something like that as well.

DMU and the riders threathening to boycott next week's qualifier will meet tonight to discuss things.

DMU is represented by DMU-boss Jørgen Bitsch and kommission manager Stefan Kristjansson. The riders are represented by Hans Andersen and Bjarne Pedersen.

Jørgen Bitsch said that they need to be aware of the "juridical consequences" of the possible solutions that they will discuss.

Hans rode in England yesterday and have another meeting tomorrow but decided to get back home for this meeting.

http://www.fyens.dk/article/2973946

The easiest thing is DMU to say you to MJJ or any other rider(like the SCB/BSPA/ACU)should with TW if you don't ride in the qualifiers or final if seeded of your National Championship we will cancel your licence.

They'd leave themselves wide open to being sued for restraint of trade, and rightly so. At best they might sue the riders for breach of contract or something, assuming they'd formally agreed to ride in the meeting, but unlikely to be worth the effort or expense.

It have been solved. The wild card have been recalled and the meeting have been moved to Tuesday April 19th.

Which means that MJJ can ride in Poland but will have to qualify like the others.

They will race for 5 available places and then a wild card will be handed out after the meeting.

The solution is the same as the former national team manager wanted to use in the first place.

http://www.fyens.dk/sport/Speedway-konflikt-loest-wildcard-trukket-tilbage/artikel/2974008

Edited by Ghostwalker

They'd leave themselves wide open to being sued for restraint of trade, and rightly so. At best they might sue the riders for breach of contract or something, assuming they'd formally agreed to ride in the meeting, but unlikely to be worth the effort or expense.

If it can be restraint of trade then the countries version of the ACU as it is in our case specify that you must take part in the national championship. If you decide to pull a sickie or feign injury you get a weeks ban from the date of each round

Problem solved

Simplistic but it could work

So they've withdrawn the wildcard, but changed the date of the meeting. Seems fair. :)

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/motorsport/speedway/koererne-vandt-speedway-krigen/6028441

Edit: although they will still be competing for just 5 places with a wildcard being awarded after the meeting.

Just seen ghostie's edit. :D

Edited by June01

That's the question on everyone's lips. I think everyone would hope so, but it will take some slices of humble pie.

If it can be restraint of trade then the countries version of the ACU as it is in our case specify that you must take part in the national championship.

I very much doubt that mandating a competitor to race in a particular meeting as a condition of issuing a licence, would ever stand up to any legal challenge. If a competitor has agreed to take part in a particular meeting then that's another issue.

I very much doubt that mandating a competitor to race in a particular meeting as a condition of issuing a licence, would ever stand up to

any legal challenge. If a competitor has agreed to take part in a particular meeting then that's another issue.

For a rider with a Swedish license, the participation in foreign league or meetings shall not interfere with the rider's participation in the Swedish

league system or other championship meetings (which includes qualifiers to those). THJ did it a couple of years ago, he had agreed to a nomination to ride in the SGP

qualifiers but then decided that it would mean that he would miss the Polish league meeting the next day so he decided to skip the qualifier which earned him a ban.

You can read the rule (1.4) in it entity at: http://multi.mediapaper.nu/Pdf/?PubId=495F29390A5F1AA87112A4F533E2737C