British Speedway Forum
Speedball

British U21 Final - Sheffield 14 April

Lambert by for the best rider tonight head and shoulders above everyone else bates very lucky in the final was rolling at the start should have been restarted

Some promising riders there tonight jack Parkinson Blackburn Zach wajknecht both looked tidy on the bikes

• Like 2

Absolute madness from Lambert.

Nobody ever when they first pick goes from Gate 4. What a plonk.

Will learn more from this though than winning it for sure. Come back stronger.

So Lambert does a 'Bach' and loses first place. Is there any person [sane speedway fan-obviously] who does not believe that the best U21 rider in this country did not win his championship? Oh well, there is the 'Full' champion honours of Brit champion, EL Champ, PL champ and Gp qualifier still up for grabs and not forgetting a World cup team place. All the previous are up for the taking for all the placers at Owlerton tonight, but realistically, only one of those riders is truly fancied in any real way and it sure aint Bates- not yet anyway.

• Like 3

TBH Lambert may go on to have a truly great career. The public remember winners not runners up.

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

Absolute madness from Lambert.

Nobody ever when they first pick goes from Gate 4. What a plonk.

Will learn more from this though than winning it for sure. Come back stronger.

Gate positions for the semi-final and final were drawn out, the riders didn't choose them.

Apologies, I was wrong about this - given duff info.

Edited by Blackadder
  • Like 1

Gate positions for the semi-final and final were drawn out, the riders didn't choose them.

Should be the result after 20 heats then,if your finishing position gives you no advantage in choice of gate position

• Like 3

Best meeting I've been to by far this season, some excellent races

• Like 1

That is an even bigger sense of madness from the BSPA. Ridiculous

• Like 3

I thought I had seen the riders choosing gates in the pits prior to the semi - I can't imagine that they would have been allocated them and fairly sure that I saw the picks taking place in the pits. Lambert probably went for gate 4 because he had it in his previous race where he had beaten Josh.

Edited by Cue Ball

I know I keep saying this but I still cannot agree with this format. How can a rider who goes through the card unbeaten not be champion ? Should not have to race off !!!!

• Like 4

Congratulations to Josh Bates on becoming GB Under-21 champ.

That is an even bigger sense of madness from the BSPA. Ridiculous

Bloody is too, should let the guys learn about picking the best gates, they will have to in all big meetings in the future!!

I know I keep saying this but I still cannot agree with this format. How can a rider who goes through the card unbeaten not be champion ? Should not have to race off !!!!

That's the format & I personally prefer to see meetings have Semi Finals & Finals otherwise meeting can become an anti climax. Same with league Play-Off's. I much prefer those too.

If Lambert made the choice of gate 4 then he threw it away with his unreliable gating

Obviously the real champ is Robert Lambert...One race only counts at the end format,, robs the best rider of the title again The old world final format is the only way to get a fair result in individual competitions.. The B.S.P,A never get any thing right hence the slow death of Speedway in this country....

• Like 1

First of all Lambert was the best rider on the night, but picking gate 4 in the final cost him the title.

Bates took advantage of this and rode a fantastic race to become champion.

But I think the best was last place in the final Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, 4th in the British u21 final at 15 years of age.

Let's hope he gets the backing he deserves, he could be as good as Tai.

• Like 2