British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
r77toy

Yanks Coming To Cardiff

We will be visiting from the US for the 1st time.

Planning to go to Somerset Friday night for Premier League Pairs, what other events are in the area that weekend?

Where is a good place to stay to be central for the most events?

We're thinking about renting a flat or studio around Chippenham, Bath or Bristol from thursday until monday.

What's the traffic like in Cardiff saturday? drive or take the train / bus?

Any other events, Autojumbles, Flea Markets etc?

Looking for off the beaten path places to eat, things to see, non tourist stuff.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Like 1

I live in Newport which is an easy 15 minute train ride away. I NEVER drive into Cardiff on a Saturday and I wouldn't dream of doing so on GP day - but then I am fortunate to live close by. As you are doing the Pairs on Friday night, I would personally try to get accommodation in the Bristol area - Chippenham seems a bit too far. You can get an easy train from Bristol, via Newport, to Cardiff. As others have said, head for Cardiff Bay for food and a sense of Cardiff's maritime history. There are many excellent restaurants in the city centre too, and if you are a beer drinker you MUST visit the Urban Tap House, (exactly opposite the Stadium gates) for the best beer in Cardiff!

Cardiff is a lovely city to visit and especially so when theres SpeedwayGP on!! Plenty of food establishments and places to see.....like 2ndBender I can defo recommend the Bay area, buses from outside Cardiff Castle gates but opposite side of the road or you can take the more expensive but more informed http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/united-kingdom/cardiff.htm as you will have a commentary on the citys history....on a fine day its lovely down in the bay and I would say get yourselves on the 'rib' and go for a 15min blast around the bay!! visit http://cardiffseasafaris.co.uk/the-trips/ it will be the best £7 you will spend that weekend!! Enjoy your 1st trip to Cardiff and might see you at both meetings...we'll be Irish gang on the 2nd bend at the Oak Tree Arena on the friday:)

Although not strictly a flea market, Cardiff indoor market in St Mary Street (5 mins from the stadium) is well worth a half hour browse, especially if you haven't experienced a traditional British market before. It has hardly changed in 60 - 70 years. Further afield the open-air Welsh National Folk Museum at St Fagans is pretty special. However, you will need a car or bus to get there from the city centre and it will take up quite a few hours out of your day. You probably wouldn't have time to do that and the Bay unless you started really early! Whatever you decide, you will have a great day.

• Like 1

Further afield the open-air Welsh National Folk Museum at St Fagans is pretty special.

Isn't it funny, you say that but anyone who has been a school child in South Wales in the last 30-odd years has nightmares about the place. I went on about 6 school trips there and the thought if going back scares me :D

We will be visiting from the US for the 1st time.

Planning to go to Somerset Friday night for Premier League Pairs, what other events are in the area that weekend?

Where is a good place to stay to be central for the most events?

We're thinking about renting a flat or studio around Chippenham, Bath or Bristol from thursday until monday.

What's the traffic like in Cardiff saturday? drive or take the train / bus?

Any other events, Autojumbles, Flea Markets etc?

Looking for off the beaten path places to eat, things to see, non tourist stuff.

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you are staying in Bristol . theres this http://www.wookey.co.uk/ cheddar gorge, glastonbury tor , friday day in Weston super-mare , somerset speedway is about 5 minutes from Weston , Saturday all day will be occupied with the speedway . Bands in the street, collectors fairs and round the town centre pubs ,(there really is no speedway event like it anywhere else in the world) and if you dont intend too much drinking ,you drive to the outskirts of cardiff and park and ride into the city . Sunday either over the bridge into Wales . or down the M5 to the coastal areas of Devon , should keep you busy for a few days .

• Like 1

If you're staying in Bristol the zoo is always worth a visit. Loved it there, but when we had Jemma with us at Cardiff we always went to Porthcawl on the Sunday before picking up the M4 to drive home.

If you do get to see some of Devon, I'd recommend Salcombe, a beautiful natural harbour with pubs serving fantastic ale.

The Victoria Inn in Salcombe is a particular favourite of ours.

It's also not far from Plymouth, although I'm not sure of their racing night.

EDIT:

Doesn't look like they are racing when you are here:

http://www.plymouthdevils.co/---results.html

Edited by Deano

I'm confused, that site shows Poole racing on the 6th, Poole's website says the 11th.

the beauty of our sport in the UK, no one knows what is going on.

suggest you use the link provided as guide and then Email the individual club for clarification. dates do get moved because of TV or a prior postponement.

Are there any other tracks in the area having races between July 6 and July 11?

thurs 7 th July Swindon Vs Wolverhampton. Swindon is 40 miles from Bristol along the M4

Edited by speedibee