British Speedway Forum
damosuzuki

Matt Ford - No Sympathy

Let's be honest Coventry had a promoter that could compete with Poole but he was soon moved aside. How dare he ask for change within the bspa? I do wonder if the sport would be in a better place if it happened. The bspa now seem to vote in rules that obviously benefit Poole above their own clubs, that's not Poole's fault but I do wonder why it happens? Makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

People say that the rules are there to benefit Poole.

Interested to know which rules are voted in that benefit Poole and how Poole benefit from them.

Perhaps someone could list these.

Well someone said yesterday that Ford, Cook and CVS voted the same for rules (helped each other out). So they would need at least one more and I would guess it being Swindon based on that they use more of our assets than any other club.

People say that the rules are there to benefit Poole.

Interested to know which rules are voted in that benefit Poole and how Poole benefit from them.

Perhaps someone could list these.

Well the draft for a start ....how pl averages are used rather than the el ones how riders are somehow seeded so somehow Poole get a better pick in the second round ,..lets be honest if Poole never had newman as a protected asset in the draft in the first place we would never have used the draft system .

Going back in time you only to look at those rules that they brought in to destroyed Cov and Benefit Poole that season to see what was going on .

Edited by orion

Glad Poole are successful off the track, long may it continue - but hopefully they don't win the league this year. I get the impression Ford would rather shut down every club in the league before letting them beat him, which is a pathetic mentality. We've seen what this attitude produces with Rangers/Celtic in Scottish football.

If they all voted against him then he wouldn't get things he wanted, would he? Surely pretty simple?

The fact that he had riders on loan at a few of the other 7 teams might help those promotors to stay on side with him.

That seems silly though as the riders wouldn't be happy if they were not allowed to ride at others clubs if not in the Poole side.

Matt is a great business man, shame he can not show a little bit of good will and compassion towards ALL of the other clubs, because without them he would not have a business.

And as Matt rightly said, some of you have made rods for your own backs. You have nobody else to blame but yourselves.

at end of day it will be his crowd figures that determine his approach. All the time they are winning easily at home and they stay healthy why change? If fans start to get bored of runaway wins and vote with their feet that will be the moment he will have to think of other clubs. Of course if the EL drops to 7 that will be another matter altogeteher. I can't see a PL club coming up under the same terms as the last amalgamation when they were screwed. Leicester's folly all to obvious...can't see them having many local derbies next season!

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

Glad Poole are successful off the track, long may it continue - but hopefully they don't win the league this year. I get the impression Ford would rather shut down every club in the league before letting them beat him, which is a pathetic mentality. We've seen what this attitude produces with Rangers/Celtic in Scottish football.

I don't think he wants to shut down every club, that's a bit silly!

Why would he want to see every club shut down...........that is not what the article says at all.............what he is saying is basically that the clubs start on a level playing field yet some are better managed and put together better teams than others................

RP

Well someone said yesterday that Ford, Cook and CVS voted the same for rules (helped each other out). So they would need at least one more and I would guess it being Swindon based on that they use more of our assets than any other club.

I got the impression during the winter Coventry wasn't one of them.

Edited by woz01

Well the draft for a start ....how pl averages are used rather than the el ones how riders are somehow seeded so somehow Poole get a better pick in the second round ,..lets be honest if Poole never had newman as a protected asset in the draft in the first place we would never have used the draft system .

Going back in time you only to look at those rules that they brought in to destroyed Cov and Benefit Poole that season to see what was going on .

Draft riders didn't get an EL average so how could they use EL averages? That was decided at the start so it wasn't done to benefit Poole.

Using assets is fair enough. Encourages clubs to sign.

If riders using assets get a high pick in the second stage then that, maybe, is one that would benefit clubs who use their own assets, but what's to stop all other clubs doing it?

• Like 1

Why would he want to see every club shut down...........that is not what the article says at all.............what he is saying is basically that the clubs start on a level playing field yet some are better managed and put together better teams than others................

RP

That's not what I meant - I'm saying that faced with the choice of what's good for the league as a whole,the other clubs OR Poole winning - I believe Ford is unable to put the common good above self interest. It's understandable for a sports team and it's the winning mentality, BUT it can't be allowed to dominate the thinking at the top table. The rest of the clubs need to vote in something that will specifically disadvantage the big,money teams and the big money teams need to accept it. Realistically Poole / Belle Vue are going to be near the top every year and that's right and proper, but the whole point in Speedway averages is to try and level the playing field. If you look at this years EL it's anything but - so it isn' tworking imo.

I've always thought, I might not fancy Ford much as a personality,but any supporter - me included - would surely love him as their promoter.

Edited to add. I do not believe the EL will continue with it's current 8 teams next year.

Edited by damosuzuki

Draft riders didn't get an EL average so how could they use EL averages? That was decided at the start so it wasn't done to benefit Poole.

Using assets is fair enough. Encourages clubs to sign.

If riders using assets get a high pick in the second stage then that, maybe, is one that would benefit clubs who use their own assets, but what's to stop all other clubs doing it?

Using assets is not fair enough it's stupid and makes a mockery of any draft system picks ..as I said no Newman as a protected Asset then no draft system to start with ....there is no way we would be having this system if Poole were going to get the rough end and each year silly things like seeded riders etc are added to keep it that way .

Next your be telling me those Rules that destroyed cov tem building plans that year were just brought in by chance

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Using assets is not fair enough it's stupid and makes a mockery of any draft system picks ..as I said no Newman as a protected Asset then no draft system to start with ....there is no way we would be having this system if Poole were going to get the rough end and each year silly things2 like seeded riders etc are added to keep it that way .

Next your be telling me those Rules that destroyed cov tem building plans that year were just brought in by chance

Not necessarily.

Just saying that as people are saying rules have been brought in to benefit Poole it would be nice to be provided with details of the actual rules and how they benefited Poole.

Then the claims would have some foundation.