British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

60's Riders Winter Jobs

Does anyone out there recall this era?? I remember an article in the Star or Post at the time that said something like "Brian Brett- in the winter he cleans windows , in the summer he cleans up at speedway" and Brian was a top guy in 64-65. I also recall Ron Bagley being a taxi driver, Tommy Roper running a hairdressers shop(which I think became a chain and he did well), George Hunter being a long haul truck(lorry) driver, Jim Lightfoot being a panel beater(does that job still exist)?? Any other thoughts re this. I have not posted for a while because the topics are after my time which ended with the sixties-maybe we should have another section that is titled "Really Old Years gone By"!! Norbold,. Iris 123 may recall this era plus others of course.

• Like 3

Pete Wigley was a postman during his racing days (1970s)

Edited by steve roberts

I think Maurie Mattingly was a milkman as was Nobby Stock.

I don't think we'd better go into what Split Waterman did in his spare time.....

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Charlie Benham, who was my first speedway hero at Romford in 1969, was a builder by trade and then, I believe, ran a garage in his home town of Oxford. Charlie was the only rider to represent the Bombers in all three of their guises - Rochester, Romford & West Ham.

• Like 1

Weren't the or at least one of the Templeton brothers farmers?Maybe Andy Meldrum as well.I seem to remember at least one rider who used to miss southern meetings at certain times of the year because of work on the farm.....

Bert Harkins sometimes doubled-up as a shortbread tin.

The sixties were not my era so I'll refrain from posting a list but from the Glasgow teams of the late 70's certainly till the mid-eighties I don't think any of the riders were full-time in speedway.

Edit to add: come to think of it I don't think any riders outwith the BL were full-time.

Edited by daveallan81
  • Like 1

Barry Briggs did have his record shop in the 50s.Not sure if it lasted into the 60s or exactly when it closed

Barry Briggs did have his record shop in the 50s.Not sure if it lasted into the 60s or exactly when it closed

Admittedly he wasn't a rider but photographer Mike Patrick had a record shop up the road from his house in Headington.
  • Like 1

Admittedly he wasn't a rider but photographer Mike Patrick had a record shop up the road from his house in Headington.

Didn't know that.Thought he would have a boutique like Peter Osgood did :P

• Like 1

He may well have. Remember reading a winter series about his life in the Speedway Star. He certainly had his fingers in lots of pies

Remember the shop well!

Didn't know that.Thought he would have a boutique like Peter Osgood did :P

Brilliant. Mike Patrick organised wife swapping parties too didn't he (not too close to the mark, I hope)?

• Like 1

Ron How was the licensee of a 300 year old pub called The Crown in Little Missenden. Gote Nordin had a newsagents in Sweden. Ronnie Moore's father ran a Wall of Death travelling show and I believe he rode there in the British off-season.

Edited by Split
  • Like 2

Terry Betts used to run a garage in Essex during the sixties.

• Like 1

Does anyone out there recall this era?? I remember an article in the Star or Post at the time that said something like "Brian Brett- in the winter he cleans windows , in the summer he cleans up at speedway" and Brian was a top guy in 64-65. I also recall Ron Bagley being a taxi driver, Tommy Roper running a hairdressers shop(which I think became a chain and he did well), George Hunter being a long haul truck(lorry) driver, Jim Lightfoot being a panel beater(does that job still exist)?? Any other thoughts re this. I have not posted for a while because the topics are after my time which ended with the sixties-maybe we should have another section that is titled "Really Old Years gone By"!! Norbold,. Iris 123 may recall this era plus others of course.

All those riders you mentioned "BOBBATH" we're all pretty hard riders fair of course, Tommy R only see ride four or five times decent and tough as old boots.George Hunter also was a very good tough fair rider remembered for his fateful spill with Pete Craven but in his own right George was decent.