Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Plymouth Devils ( P L) - Sunday, April 24th (6.30pm)

Cold weather put some regulars off yesterday... we've had some blooming cold meetings so far this year.. add to that a deal of despondency due to lack of form and a few home defeats...and there's your reason for a lower than expected crowd. That said, its a bit ironic that the weather improved by the start time, arriving at the track, I was pleasantly surprised how mild it had become, was really cold early afternoon.

Hopefully we'll be blessed with some nice bank holiday weather next week...Given that... and this much needed, moral boosting home win...plus a better and more attractive opposition in Newcastle... hopefully the locals will be out in force next week.

Edited by Albert

When its so cold why start so late on a sunday the track will not dry out in this time of the year also a lot of people have over a 100 mile round trip makes it late for kids

• Like 1

So all in all a lively and enjoyable nights action at the EWR. Talk from Rob was of making the team change(s); with Zdneck due back at Berwick on Saturday. Reading the Speedway Star; my belief is that Andreas Lyager will still be introduced into the team for Nicolai as per the plan. I think Andreas can be a surprise packet. Carlos will drop to reserve as Zdneck cannot have less than a 5.00CMA as I understand; once he gets match fit we will see the potential in Zeddy.

I really hope this Lyager plan is put on hold for now, whats the use of using the points we get from Holub gaining a real average & using it on another guy who will average 4 pts from his assessed 7 ?? Doesn't make any sense to me at all, it has to be a real gem to get an assessed 7 ptr riding anywhere near that average in his first season. I would much prefer to see how much we have and use it all on the best rider Rob can afford, Andre Compton springs to mind as a rider who can make 6-7 pts home & away.

• Like 1

I really hope this Lyager plan is put on hold for now, whats the use of using the points we get from Holub gaining a real average & using it on another guy who will average 4 pts from his assessed 7 ?? Doesn't make any sense to me at all, it has to be a real gem to get an assessed 7 ptr riding anywhere near that average in his first season. I would much prefer to see how much we have and use it all on the best rider Rob can afford, Andre Compton springs to mind as a rider who can make 6-7 pts home & away.

Compo would definitely be one that comes into the frame; but it was just what Rob said in the Star; about having Andreas UK bikes here already in storage. I do think that Andreas might be more than a 4pointer; but agree that its more of a unknown.

Ty Proctor sounds desperate to get a ride, he said this today......

'Still waiting for a club so I can begin my rebuild back in the UK. Ready anytime after May the 17'

A proven 6 to 7 point man with experience of a lot of UK tracks.

Ty Proctor sounds desperate to get a ride, he said this today......

'Still waiting for a club so I can begin my rebuild back in the UK. Ready anytime after May the 17'

A proven 6 to 7 point man with experience of a lot of UK tracks.

Affirmative again Procter would undoubtedly bring something to the team; and has the experience; whereas Andreas is learning the ropes somewhat. We already have two riders in Zdneck and Little Josh for whom David Howe has his coaching brief; can we afford a third in Andreas ? I get that.

Lyager came in and won races right from the get go,---when you look back neither Ryan Douglas or Tommy Jorgensen could buy a win when thye first came over-now look at them

and look at hes scores abroad!!

plus he already done a few meetings so not far from gaining a real average,then you can make a change for the final part of the season[ if needed],--game on!!

plus riders gaining averages and becoming assets really pishes Lewy off so it never a bad thing to do that either :drink::wink:

i seem to recall a late seaon game changer won us the lague once,,,just need a master plan like that

Edited by montie

When its so cold why start so late on a sunday the track will not dry out in this time of the year also a lot of people have over a 100 mile round trip makes it late for kids

I know two people at least that spectate at Buxton, Scunthorpe and Mildenhall on occasion. Rob needed to get away from a weeknight date because of the dreadful traffic issues on the M1 and M18/A1 that were impacting on his attendances, so he moved to Sunday night.

Jayne Moss has indicated that she would not run earlier on a Sunday, so we could only do one of the meetings even if we could afford to do both, but some time ago Mildenhall pulled their race time start back to 3.00pm to suit spectators.

Evenings usually have less dust issues than mid afternoon which may have influenced Rob's decision?

Notwithstanding a damaged airfence panel, I think I was still on my way home by around 8.30, but that is too late for kids who have school the next day if travelling any distance.

In short, Rob couldn't win could he, so if you have kids it is a Sunday afternoon or Saturday night track I think?

Is it just me who finds the kids argument a bit of a red herring. If I want to take my boy to any event I will take him regardless of the finish time he's only eight and busier than most of his age with football , karate, swimming. Grasstrack and speedway and still don't go to sleep till after 10 most nights also if we are away he sleeps in the car or van on the way back.

• Like 7