British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Poole 27/4/16 7.30pm (skysports)

Poole to Belle Vue and back, loooooonnnng drive!

Hope you haven't paid owt Brock?

Planning any Speedway away day is getting difficult, mind you it's always been difficult cos it could always rain!

I've never really understood why people book hotels to stay in after a speedway meeting as, apart from when i have watched speedway abroad - and not always then, I have always driven to and back home from the meeting on the same day - maybe not reaching home until the next day. Went to a few World Finals in Europe and returned the same day too. This must be a modern day phenomena as in the 70's/80's/90's very few, if any fans travelling to away meetings would even contemplate the thought of staying overnight in an hotel, let alone the additional cost and, with midweek meeting, loss of earnings. Although, as you say you have a great granddaughter, you may be even older than me. You must be much wealthier than me then, Brock.

This is part of enjoying retirement Multumesc.

In my work days getting an afternoon off for speedway was harder than taking a weeks holiday. Then a mad rush to whereever followed by the drive back, sometimes getting home in the early hours, only to get up again at 6 for work.

Now days, being a wrinkly, it's a leisurely drive up the day of the meeting, meal in the hotel often taking advantage of the two for £10 offer. Few beers in the hotel after the meeting with no drinking and driving to worry about, then a relaxed drive back the next day, usually stopping somewhere on the way. Black Country Museum, stately homes, castles, canals, cotswold villages etc etc. Seeing more of Britain then we ever did when working. Life as a pensioner. :lol:

Obviously only the longer trips like Lynn, BV, Leicester, GP.

By the way the Kings Lynn change also b*******d up our plans. We were taking my wife's elderly aunt to visit her son's new home between Norwich and Kings Lynn. Due to personal circumstances this is not possible on the rearranged date. The old dear is disappointed but hopefully she can get there another time.

• Like 2

With reluctance have now decided to not make the trip for this one as I am in Exeter the following morning. Just too far on this occassion. Will be one of the fans watching on TV.

heard yesterday that Watt has been dismissed with BP back in the fold...?

Where did you hear that? Interesting if that's the case what with Davey having some trouble with his mrs...

Edited by BurntFaceMan

I've never really understood why people book hotels to stay in after a speedway meeting as, apart from when i have watched speedway abroad - and not always then, I have always driven to and back home from the meeting on the same day - maybe not reaching home until the next day. Went to a few World Finals in Europe and returned the same day too. This must be a modern day phenomena as in the 70's/80's/90's very few, if any fans travelling to away meetings would even contemplate the thought of staying overnight in an hotel, let alone the additional cost and, with midweek meeting, loss of earnings. Although, as you say you have a great granddaughter, you may be even older than me. You must be much wealthier than me then, Brock

As you say I may be older than you, I don't know about wealthier. I just find driving back for 5 hours after a meeting at night a bit too tiring on the old eyes, so tend to make the trips little mini breaks. We book Premier inns which you can cancel with no loss of money. As for work, you can tell I am retired. Have been supporting Poole for my sins since the mid fifties.

By the way we normally share share trips with Baz who has replied just before me

Edited by BROCK
  • Like 1

As you say I may be older than you, I don't know about wealthier. I just find driving back for 5 hours after a meeting at night a bit too tiring on the old eyes, so tend to make the trips little mini breaks. We book Premier inns which you can cancel with no loss of money. As for work, you can tell I am retired. Have been supporting Poole for my sins since the mid fifties.

By the way we normally share share trips with Baz who has replied just before me

That makes a lot of sense, especially if you take the opportunity to visit local attractions or tie in visits elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply Brock (and your sometime travelling partner Baz -"Baz & Brock", are you guys children's entertainers as well, or something :lol: ?) and the tip about the Premier Inns - no stay, no fee policy. Its just a right hassle then and can spoil family and friend visit plans I suppose, which is always disappointing.

I look forward to the time when I can do something similar, though it may be in a tent rather than an hotel. I suppose that the longest midweek trips that I used to do regularly, back in the day, were something like 600 mile round trips to Newcastle, back home in the early hours and in work at 9am the day after the meeting. Never bothered me night driving. Quite enjoy it with less traffic on the roads. Its twilight driving that I find more troublesome.

Looking forward to watching this 'live' on TV, not a repeat - Mr Shovlar. Can't see past an away win by a few, but hopefully those that go are entertained with a decent race track providing interesting racing, with hopefully no car racing or any of this forecast Arctic weather spoiling the spectacle. Enjoy your Speedway.

Edited by Multumesc

Hee hee, had to chuckle about the 'children's entertainers' suggestion for Baz and Brock!! ;-) Mrs Baz and Mrs Brock would be chuckling too!! Love it.

Many more fans used to travel away and stay overnight when there were things such as Northern/Southern tours - great days - often staying in the same hostelry as the riders, although that wasn't always a good thing...........!! nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more. :-)

Just heard unoficially, although nothing to do with KL that that Leicester want to postpone meeting with Poole because their footie team is on the telly that evening. if true that is another hotel cancelation :mad:

With reluctance have now decided to not make the trip for this one as I am in Exeter the following morning. Just too far on this occassion. Will be one of the fans watching on TV.

Thanks for sharing. What are you having for Dinner this evening ? Then again I think you maybe be confusing some people with actually giving a ........ :wink:

Just heard unoficially, although nothing to do with KL that that Leicester want to postpone meeting with Poole because their footie team is on the telly that evening. if true that is another hotel cancelation :mad:

Its in the MF interview in the B'mth Echo today and is already on facebook. 2 clubs have approached in the past week to move their home fixtures - presumably BV and Leicester - Not sure if MF is going to agree with the Leicester postponement, even though Poole will be without Kurtz and Andersen, who are both due to be at Kings Lynn for the WC qualifier (just to keep it relevant to Kings Lynn)!!

Edited by Skidder1

I just had a fish finger sandwich for lunch, it was excellent.

Just to confirm I didn't have a fish finger sandwich for lunch.

• Like 1