British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Poole 27/4/16 7.30pm (skysports)

Will this fixture now go back to the original date of next Thursday does anyone know?

I think the general consensus is that last night was rightly called off. You can argue that years ago riders rode in far worse, and they did I witnessed it on many occasions. Nowadays the rocket ships riders are mounted on just don't allow any finesse on wet tracks so the skill of riding them has all but gone.

The main problem with last night was the timing of the call off. I was in Lynn all day and there was an horrendous hailstorm about 2 which left hail about 2 inches deep, I know I got wet feet walking to a church, there was another less severe storm about 5 which probably did the damage. That is when the meeting should have been called off, not left dangling in the air for Sky to self importantly announce it live on air.

They must be using superglue on speedways coffin now cos there ain't any room for more nails!

• Like 1

The main problem with last night was the timing of the call off. I was in Lynn all day and there was an horrendous hailstorm about 2 which left hail about 2 inches deep, I know I got wet feet walking to a church,

I use to have a pair of Shoes like that :D

I think the general consensus is that last night was rightly called off. You can argue that years ago riders rode in far worse, and they did I witnessed it on many occasions. Nowadays the rocket ships riders are mounted on just don't allow any finesse on wet tracks so the skill of riding them has all but gone.

The main problem with last night was the timing of the call off. I was in Lynn all day and there was an horrendous hailstorm about 2 which left hail about 2 inches deep, I know I got wet feet walking to a church, there was another less severe storm about 5 which probably did the damage. That is when the meeting should have been called off, not left dangling in the air for Sky to self importantly announce it live on air.

They must be using superglue on speedways coffin now cos there ain't any room for more nails!

Church,they seem to be having a problem getting the crowds in as well these days.If God can't get them in what chance have speedway promoters got. :o

• Like 1

The only Hypocrite on here is you deary.. Rider safety is paramount, but you wouldn't understand that, would you...

Meaning ?

Oh dear Starman, are you really not able to read into what I wrote..?

meetings have been ridden on far from ideal conditions before, if this was a 'cough cough' last day before the cut off I'm pretty confident it would have been completed...

you catch my drift.. ;)

Church,they seem to be having a problem getting the crowds in as well these days.If God can't get them in what chance have speedway promoters got. :o

Me going to one was probably the cause of the hailstorm :P

I only do hatches,matches and dispatches :party:

I popped in to the Arena about 3pm after the almighty hail and rain storm in Kings Lynn, and Buster was working on the track making sure it could go ahead .. on driving home and then going out again a little later I made the decision not to go, I just felt even if Buster had the track sorted it still wouldn't go ahead as it would be down to the riders.

I popped in to the Arena about 3pm after the almighty hail and rain storm in Kings Lynn, and Buster was working on the track making sure it could go ahead .. on driving home and then going out again a little later I made the decision not to go, I just felt even if Buster had the track sorted it still wouldn't go ahead as it would be down to the riders.

Steve as an ex-rider would you or have you ridden in such conditions or worse and do the current bikes make riding in the wet more difficult?

• Like 1

I did ride in worse, but that was because I wanted to ride .. I remember riding at Peterborough in a cup match where we (Canterbury) had one or two riders refuse to ride, I think I got 5 or 6 rides out of it, but the bikes were quite a bit different then, we didn't have to be flat out to get round

Thanks for that Steve.

Can't remember the last time a single (or couple) of riders refused to ride tho I have seen it in long distant past.

I'm on a roll now :P

Do you think the riders should state their opinion openly in a changing room meeting or should it be by secret ballot to avoid "bullying"?

the latter, 100%

• Like 1

Maybe back in the day last night might have been the only meeting the riders would have and their only chance of getting a wage that week. Now with riders riding all over Europe and others riding in 2 and in some case 3 league in the UK, the need is somewhat less.

Would the likes of NKI and Holder not be more concerned about picking up an unnecessary injury with the a GP just a few short days away. Again back in the day riders never had that to think about. What would have happened last night if the meeting had been declared on and NKI and Holder said stuff that we aint riding. Ban... Or meeting called off ? I know where my sixpence would go if I was a betting man. Speedway in this country and proven time and time again that is panders to the big names and fixtures are arranged around their availability.

We are dealing in different times now. Sponsors are VIP's when the GP rides into town.

Edited by semion
  • Like 3

Don't agree, more like today's rider's have no idea how throttle control works & can't manage their set-up's accordingly.

We're in a age now where the throttle cable needs to be at it's most stretched.

Richard Weston is right. Modern bikes have a very narrow power band and therein lies the problem. Modern bikes are revving to something aproaching twice as much as th old two valve JAPs and Jawas. The more you increase power at the top end the more you compromise at the bottom end. Not the riders lack of ability it's the way modern engines develop their power.

Who did make the decision to call it off then,Buczkowski,Lawrence,Reeve or Sky.

as mentioned earlier, putting 2+2 together it seems the decision was made early on by the rider's in the changing rooms. Sky says hold off the official announcement until they go live on air. This would be why none of the Poole rider's even got changed.