British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BurntFaceMan

How Long Do Speedway Parts Last?

I would be interested to learn, if anybody has a bit of knowledge, how long speedway components last? For example engines, clutches, tires, etc?

I was looking at the for sell section and noticed that an engine with 13 heats was £400 less than the new one. Does this mean the engines have a relatively short life?

Can engines be rebuilt if they die, or do you need to buy a new engine every time?

I'm referring to world class level 500cc engines.

:)

Depending on who tunes the engines and how hard they raced a service is required anywhere from 30-50 races. If there are no issues in between then an engine can last a lifetime hence old Goddens & Westlakes still in existence however if the engine blows up during a race it could be terminal. Ive seen engines blow holes in the casings etc and with such damage that they are not financially viable to repair.

As for tyres they will be ruined by the end of a meeting. Clutch plates will vary due to the compounds but a couple of meetings as a rule but longer for the alloy plates.

As a general rule a speedway bike spends it life trying to shake itself to pieces via the vibrations and stresses it puts through itself and require constant maintenance.

• Like 1

Most modern motors that are used pretty hard need a "service" between 30 and 50 heats.Prob nearer 30 for the top lads.A service is a complete strip and replace anything that has wear.Thats between 30 and 50 miles.Tyres only last 1 meeting in league racing.Prob 2 races in GP's

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

Regarding tyres - as mentioned above, the timeframes are quite correct.

Unless anything has changed from a couple of years ago when I was a Machine Examiner at Lakeside, the spare (Number 2) bike HAD to have a part-used tyre. A few riders (one of note) tried the old trick of slightly wearing down one edge then covering it in shale dust, then marking it up with initials, to make it look used and checked elsewhere. Maybe it had. But not much got past us. ;)

In 2012 (if memory serves correctly) we had the World U21's. The Czech team were in the competition. The poor little sods. Some had what looked like home-made dirt deflectors cut from rubber/plastic. They were passed by the FIM M/E's in attendance as they apparently met their regs. When they saw the pile of used tyres at the rear of the pits, their eyes lit up. They could not believe that these tyres were going to be scrapped - as, if you look at a tyre that's discarded when a new complimentary one is fitted (pre-meeting), it doesn't exactly look worn. Suffice to say the Czech guys asked if they could have them for free - and 5 vans went back across the Channel somewhat heavier than when they came.

Clearly, Czech riders do not have the money that their counterparts appear to earn. It's probably why so few riders appear on these shores from The Czech Republic? Maybe, a team with a little forward-thinking, could consider scouting some of these guys, and sponsoring them with some decent equipment? I would imagine it's a cheaper option than employing some latest 'whizz-kid' from Poland or Scandinavia - with potentially more appreciation/loyalty being returned than displayed by some?

Tuning-wise costs, to me anyway, seem colossal. A certain ex-GP rider told me, when I was giving him a lift to Stanstead, that a full engine tune/overhaul cost around £1,000. Subsequently, he had a dire meeting (away from home at Brandon) on that very engine which had been serviced; and reverted to his spare after 3 races. And yes, if memory serves correctly, he also said an engine needs re-tuning around every 30 races.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 2

30 to 50 heats depending on the

Level of tuning and the specs. Some ex riders from not so long ago prepare fast motors for around the £350 plus parts as required Good value for Motorsport. These costs must also be paid by juniors as well and when you add in transport fuel tyres + running repairs it can add up fast.