British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, gustix said:

I have had the name of Arthur Wright (Bradford and Belle Vue) put forward. He was a world finalist in the kate 1959s but I am unsure if he is - and I hope he is - still alive?

Sadly gustix, I think that Arthur Wright has passed, so of course has Ronnie Moore-any updates to the famous list e.g. Henry Long who is hopefully still around- I know Dick Bradley is and he must now be just behind Split Waterman

Talking of Split Waterman, I was talking to Ove Fundin about him at the Norwich WSRA lunch a couple of weeks ago. He said he visited him in Spain a little while ago and he was in good health and reasonably active still.

• Like 1

Brian Crutcher  is 84

19 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Sadly gustix, I think that Arthur Wright has passed, so of course has Ronnie Moore-any updates to the famous list e.g. Henry Long who is hopefully still around- I know Dick Bradley is and he must now be just behind Split Waterman

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, norbold said:

Talking of Split Waterman, I was talking to Ove Fundin about him at the Norwich WSRA lunch a couple of weeks ago. He said he visited him in Spain a little while ago and he was in good health and reasonably active still.

Does Ove remember that famous evening back in (I think)1961 when he spent much of his time racing around the 'frying pan' staring at Split's back wheel. I certainly do!

4 hours ago, Split said:

Does Ove remember that famous evening back in (I think)1961 when he spent much of his time racing around the 'frying pan' staring at Split's back wheel. I certainly do!

I reminded him of that night!

On 11/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, BOBBATH said:

Yes, Henry long is still around, - heard from him only last month via the family in the Cape, where he now lives.
I wont say 'going strong', but at 91 he's holding up well and never complains says his daughter.

• Like 1

Henry Long passed away today, July 8th 2019, just a couple of weeks short of his 92nd birthday.
An obit is posted separately.

Very sorry to hear that-92 is a good age though. Have lost track of the oldest World Finalists though-so many have passed. Clearly Split is #1 and I reckon Dick Bradley is #2

Josef Hofmeister was 85 yesterday. Not sure if that qualifies him yet. I think we need a new up-to-date list.

Edited by norbold

Here goes;

1. Split Waterman 27/7/23; 2 Arthur Payne 30/8/24;(not sure if still alive) ;3 Dick Bradley 28/11/24; 4. Eric Boothroyd 26/4/27; 5.Derek Close 13/5/27; 6 .Billy Bales 6/6/29;

7. Olle Nygren 11/11/29; 8 Rune Sormander 29/11/29;  9.Jack Geran 10/12/29; 10. Ian Williams 4/8/31; 11.Per Tage Svensson 16/1031 12. Peo Soderman 29/10/32

13. Ove Fundin 23/5/33; 14. Dan Forsberg 25/3/34;  15 Josef Hofmeister  26/7/34 (Thanx Norbold);16 Mike Broadbank 25/9/34;  First Reserve : Barry Briggs 30/12/34.

This is my best shot-anyone know if Arthur Payne is still alive??-may have missed a couple as there are quite a few folks who were born around  the 1933-34 period e.g. maybe Crutcher/ Knutsson/ Nordin / should be there or thereabouts. Any additions  or deletions very welcome!!

• Like 2

As far as I know, Arthur Payne is still with us.

Brian Crutcher comes in ahead of Broady, as he was born 23rd August, 1934.

Steve

• Like 1

Göte Nordin was born 2 July 1935. Björn Knutson is a mere youngster, being born on 27 April 1938.

5 hours ago, norbold said:

Göte Nordin was born 2 July 1935. Björn Knutson is a mere youngster, being born on 27 April 1938.

Amother currently hovering just outside the published list is our old friend, Bob Andrews, who was born on 27th October, 1935.

Steve

Hey, just thought of something; Ray Cresp is still alive, isn't he? If so, he should be high on the list, being born 25th August, 1928.

Can't believe I didn't notice it before...

Steve

• Like 1

Okay, here is an updated list from what I can find...

Split Waterman.  27/7/23

Arthur Payne.  30/8/24

Dick Bradley.  28/11/24

Eric Boothroyd.  26/4/27

Derek Close.  13/5/27

Ray Cresp.  25/8/28

Billy Bales.  6/6/29

Ollie Nygren.  11/11/29

Rune Sormander.  29/11/29

Jack Geran.  10/12/29

Ian Williams.  4/8/31

Per Tage Svensson.  16/10/31

Per Olof Soderman.  29/10/32

Ove Fundin.  23/5/33

Jim Lightfoot.  11/11/33

Dan Forsberg.  25/3/34

Reserves

Josef Hofmeister.  26/7/34

Brian Crutcher.  23/8/34

Sad thing is that Stefan Kwoczala (who passed away a couple of weeks ago) should have been on the list (b. 15/6/34), but was never actually named.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1