British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

I've just noticed from your list - it was Split's 96th birthday yesterday. Happy Birthday Squire!

• Like 1

Hi Steve-great list, had forgotten about Cap'n Jim-also thanks for reminder re Stefan Kwoczala. To be honest am not sure about Ray Cresp-  my good friend Reg Fearman was certainly in touch with him in recent years and have asked Reg -who has a compendious knowledge of this era and knows probably  everybody on this list -to let me know. Thanks for the work you did Steve. P.S. Looks like you've moved from Illinois to Ohio

I looked back over some of the comments, and thought I would do some checking. Ray Cresp hasn't been mentioned, and as I said, I'd totally forgotten about him. Last I heard, he was still alive, and I wasn't able to find anything online to make me think otherwise.

Yeah, I moved - six years ago!

Steve

Just heard from Reg Fearman- you will be glad to know that Ray Cresp is indeed still with us (thanks for mentioning him Steve)-he's 91  but has been ill recently with heart problems-hope he is around for many years to come. A real battler on the track- I recall him for Long Eaton in1965. I think before that he was in the NL with West Ham

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Just heard from Reg Fearman- you will be glad to know that Ray Cresp is indeed still with us (thanks for mentioning him Steve)-he's 91  but has been ill recently with heart problems-hope he is around for many years to come. A real battler on the track- I recall him for Long Eaton in1965. I think before that he was in the NL with West Ham

That is good to hear!  I was just sure I hadn't heard otherwise...  

Other than the Archers and Hammers, Ray also rode for Eastbourne, Wembley, Oxford, Ipswich, Poole, Norwich, and St. Austell.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes, that is good news. I remember Ray at West Ham well. Whenever Dave Lanning mentioned him in the programme notes, he would invariably prefix his name with, "droll, leathery-faced slick gating Aussie...."

Bit off topic maybe but went to Maurice Jones excellent book "World Speedway Finals  A History from 1929" which finishes with the 1978 WF to see the earliest final which still has survivors-no surprise that all of the 1949 Finalist have passed, however there are two survivors of the 1950 Final -Split Waterman and Arthur Payne, two survivors of 1951 Final-Split of course and Dick Bradley latter had one ride as reserve. Amazing to think that these guys are still with almost  70 years after their first World Finals.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:46 AM, chunky said:

Sad thing is that Stefan Kwoczala (who passed away a couple of weeks ago) should have been on the list (b. 15/6/34), but was never actually named.

Stefan Kwoczała was a rider whose career was sadly cut short by injury after suffering a fractured skull in a crash at Kraków in 1961. I saw him ride once and remember being impressed by his spectacular riding style.  He was a rider of undoubted world class. Having won the Polish championship in 1959 he reached the World Final in 1960, and finished 7th.

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Split Waterman-as somebody said -a great age for a great rider. Split was the oldest surviving World Finalist for quite a few years.As the last updated list (thanx chunky) indicates Arthur Payne is now the oldest followed by Dick Bradley-hope there are no more changes for a while. RIP Split.

• Like 2

Any other updates for this very important list- I know for sure  Dick Bradley is still with us-but can anyone confirm Arthur Payne is also-Art seems to have disappeared into the ether. Did any forumlander see Arthur ride- I think he was a Division One heat leader with  Birmingham in the early fifties.. Reckon he may be living in Oz.