British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

Don't cross Jack Geran off the list just yet!! Just heard back from Reg Fearman who confirms that Jack is living in a retirement home in Exeter following the recent death of his wife Janet. Hopefully Jack will stay on the list for a long time to come.

• Like 1

Hi Rogerandout-saw your post -hate to tell you this but maybe you are old!!) you are probably younger than me though. Anyway will buy you a beer next time I see you at Dundas track P.S, when are we going to have another official Canadian Speedway Championship- I keep looking at the CSRA website but no luck so far!!

Not enough riders Bob....probably an average of nine or ten and most of them are getting older.....no new young lads are interested in Speedway. Bikes don't go anywhere else except on a Speedway track.

I would be very pleasantly surprised if Speedway survives in this country.

There has been no Speedway at Paris for a couple of years now, only flat track.....so our only track is now Welland,as always!

Not enough riders Bob....probably an average of nine or ten and most of them are getting older.....no new young lads are interested in Speedway. Bikes don't go anywhere else except on a Speedway track.

I would be very pleasantly surprised if Speedway survives in this country.

There has been no Speedway at Paris for a couple of years now, only flat track.....so our only track is now Welland,as always!

I am of the opinion from what I see on Facebook that flat track has completely overtaken speedway in Canada. And there are signs too on Facebook that it also dominates over speedway in the USA.

Sounds like the end of an era Roger-always liked visiting Paris(Ontario not France!!)

I am of the opinion from what I see on Facebook that flat track has completely overtaken speedway in Canada. And there are signs too on Facebook that it also dominates over speedway in the USA.

Close observation gustix.....however Flat Track is also on the decline....from days gone by there used to be over a hundred riders show up ready to race, these days lucky if you get maybe fifty. Major sports in North America beat everything else into the ground and of course get all the money, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey,Football (not Soccer) reign supreme. Motorcycle Sports.....nothing!

Don't cross Jack Geran off the list just yet!! Just heard back from Reg Fearman who confirms that Jack is living in a retirement home in Exeter following the recent death of his wife Janet. Hopefully Jack will stay on the list for a long time to come.

Thats wonderful news...my abject apologies..lovely man...keep on ticking Jack

No apology necessary Spiegal -confusion may have been caused by the obit. for a Noah Jack Geran- who despite the unusual name is no relation. It reminds me of what Mark Twain said when he heard his obit had been published while he was still alive "Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated" I sent the list of the 16 oldest World Finalists to Reg and was pleased to note for him that he's younger than all of them!! Reg is still enjoying life to the full I might add and is interested in everything and always has trenchant comments on current political events.

• Like 1

With the sad passing of Fred brand and Arthur Wright and maybe others (not Jack Geran though!!) can anybody update the list as of now ?? Not sure if Arthur Payne is still with us for example.

With the sad passing of Fred brand and Arthur Wright and maybe others (not Jack Geran though!!) can anybody update the list as of now ?? Not sure if Arthur Payne is still with us for example.

We have had several 'survivor' lists Posted over the years. Does any member have an update in regard to surviving world finalists. I did start one myself but became a little confused (getting old!!!!} but would be interested to see a new list. Thank you in advance to whoever compiles it!

Edited by Guest

We have had several 'survivor' lists Posted over the years. Does any member have an update in regard to surviving world finalists. I did start one myself but became a little confused (getting old!!!! but would be interested to see a new list. Thank you in advance to whoever compiles it!

Just received last week, a photo from his daughter, confirming Henry Long is still doing well for 89, - in Franschhoek, Western Cape.

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

are we going to have to do a new one 'oldest surviving grand Prix participants' at some point.. ?

I wouldn't think many would be that old yet.

Began in 1994 didn't it. Hans Nielsen and Sam Ermolenko were probably the oldest riders.

Be more interesting to do it by the oldest World Championship rider by the decade i.e 50s, 60s and so on.

Glad Henry Long is still with us-reckon he must be number 7 on the oldest surviving World Finalist list now. Here's an idea -how about starting a list of oldest surviving forumland posters- I reckon I gotta be on that list born October 1946-at least I know I'm ahead of Norbold and chunky!!!