Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stiltonpanther

Glasgow V Peterborough Sunday 1-5-16

Danny is actually going fine but is getting needlessly frustrated at times. Bearing in mind his short time in speedway as long as he achieves his average each meeting which he did today we cant ask for more at this stage. He hasnt yet seen most of the PL tracks and needs to gain experience before he improves. Just look at how Garcia has improved after having served a full year in the PL.

Must be frustrating for Danny scoring double figures for Kent one day and then single for Glasgow.

It's just the way it is.

He's the only one inside Ashfield beating him up!

We're all patient.

When he learns to live with it he'll come good.

quickest run meeting in ages, happy days!

It was an all round much better experience today.

For those with a decent distant to travel home it does make quite a difference to get home earlier.

Two years ago the same would have cost £19.50 in a ramshackle stadium with a portakabin for the public toilets. Whilst it is expensive I know what id rather have for £3 more.

Not so much expensive as the most expensive. That £1.50 increase in entry might not dissuade the diehards but it could put some of those attracted last season off.

The equivalent at Belle Vue is £22 for EL racing in a brand new purpose built speedway stadium.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Not so much expensive as the most expensive. That £1.50 increase in entry might not dissuade the diehards but it could put some of those attracted last season off.

The equivalent at Belle Vue is £22 for EL racing in a brand new purpose built speedway stadium.

Sorry but I find this petty. £1.50 is practically nothing in this day and age. It's 2016 fer cryin out loud, a quid is worth about 30p these days so £1.50 is like what 45p used to be., so hardly anything. Recently another poster, think it was SCB, was complaining about the same thing and amidst his points was that 10 years ago he paid over £50,000 for his car - and he was complaining about two quid!! If I understand correctly the admission fee is about £17.50 for Adults, if only some people would behave the same!

£17.50 + £3.00 for a program is too expensive for me personally to go every week.

"If they built it, they will come".

Well they're not.

I don't personally give a flying for chucking balls and running after a numpty in a furry suit.

I think the ship has now sailed unfortunately but I am convinced they'd get more in for £12.50 than £17.50 and it's very simple economics more ppl in the stadium means more money.

The Facennas are never gonna make money from speedway and it can't be their objective of course so why not slash the prices and get punters in through the door, buying programmes, buying chips and burgers, buying pints, buying merch.

• Like 2

Sorry but I find this petty. £1.50 is practically nothing in this day and age. It's 2016 fer cryin out loud, a quid is worth about 30p these days so £1.50 is like what 45p used to be., so hardly anything. Recently another poster, think it was SCB, was complaining about the same thing and amidst his points was that 10 years ago he paid over £50,000 for his car - and he was complaining about two quid!! If I understand correctly the admission fee is about £17.50 for Adults, if only some people would behave the same!

Its a 10% increase on last season when the inflation rate is less than half that. If all the costs in your household went up by 10% overnight I doubt that you would regard that as 'petty'.

My point was its now quite possibly the most expensive speedway in the country (Lakeside is £18, but the car park is free) and I find it difficult to justify a PL track charging more to get in than most EL ones.

What's worse, that extra amount might just put people off to the degree that takings will be down.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

£17.50 + £3.00 for a program is too expensive for me personally to go every week.

Well they're not.

A FIELD OF DREAMS ....... .thats fantasy , this is reality . ( great film )

• Like 2

It's actually a 12.5% increase, from £15 last year to £17.50 this year. I think the mistake made was reducing the cost from £16 from the previous season.

Personally I'm quite happy that there isn't a bigger crowd as viewing is pretty poor with the current crowd levels.

• Like 1

It's actually a 12.5% increase, from £15 last year to £17.50 this year. I think the mistake made was reducing the cost from £16 from the previous season.

Personally I'm quite happy that there isn't a bigger crowd as viewing is pretty poor with the current crowd levels.

Exactly. All this percentages thing conveniently overlooks that admission fees have been in the teens for the last decade and seems like forever. In this day and age £17.50 is nothing and perfectly reasonable. Another poster, SCB, was complaining as well about 2 quid difference and in the same post he mentioned that 10 years ago he paid over £50,000 for his car!! And he was complaining 'ere about two quid!!

• Like 1

Thats a fair point about putting off newcomers though crowds have generally been good so far. People will happily pay more than that each week to watch Scottish football which I wouldnt cross the road for with a free ticket.

Speedway is appropriately priced according to the other alternative sports in Glasgow of ice hockey and basketball. If Braehead Clan can regularly achieve sell outs of around 3500 spectators it shows the money and the fans are out there. For my son and I to attend a hockey match would be over £30 but £23.50 at the speedway.

Edited by MD
  • Like 2

Thats a fair point about putting off newcomers though crowds have generally been good so far. People will happily pay more than that each week to watch Scottish football which I wouldnt cross the road for with a free ticket.

I take this comparative price point but speedway is four home fixtures a month, football is two home fixtures a month, so it's twice the outlay to follow your speedway team at home compared with football.

as others have said perhaps a mistake was made reducing prices last year so it looks worse this year. Also all the increases have come at once maybe could have kept programme at £2.50, so you basically pay £20 to get in and for a programme? personally I don't think its dear especially compared to other day's out. On Sunday perhaps crowd was affected by morning rain - for those that didn't come the track was the best this year. I heard there were traffic problems - so perhaps a few turned back knowing meetings now actually start at 3pm and therefore they miss a few heats. I know a few people who still go away for the may weekend. I was tempted to stay at home to watch the Leicester match on the tele, perhaps others did. Finally the Glasgow warriors had a big game on Friday night and a lot of folk can only afford one night/day at a sport event. Some of these other distractions won't be around in a few weeks time its then we'll know what the crowds are really like.

Oh and by the way what an awesome performace from the Tigers, I thought panthers would get a point1 I'm forecasting a huge win for the monarchs on Friday :lol:

Not disagreeing with anyone's POV about single adult ticket prices, but here's a different perspective.

Glasgow is focussing on family entertainment, hence's all the activities aimed at kids.

(Suspect with an eye on future support).

This Friday I'm taking 3 eleven year olds to Armadale, cost £23 (standard, not advanced online).

For Ashfield cost = £20.

Cheaper.

Many posts here are from an adult/single perspective.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 3

Well they're not.

I don't personally give a flying for chucking balls and running after a numpty in a furry suit.

I think the ship has now sailed unfortunately but I am convinced they'd get more in for £12.50 than £17.50 and it's very simple economics more ppl in the stadium means more money.

The Facennas are never gonna make money from speedway and it can't be their objective of course so why not slash the prices and get punters in through the door, buying programmes, buying chips and burgers, buying pints, buying merch.

I take this comparative price point but speedway is four home fixtures a month, football is two home fixtures a month, so it's twice the outlay to follow your speedway team at home compared with football.

The football season lasts longer though. From what i can see a top tier team will have 19 home league games not including cup and the occasional before Christmas European game(s). Thats not far off a home speedway season of 12 home league meetings, 2 league cup, a KO Cup meeting then any qualifying rounds from these. Our home fixture list is usually bare around the Cardiff GP date as we also do away meetings down south. I take the point that it is a lot for 4 home meetings in a month but balances itself out across the season.

The football season lasts longer though. From what i can see a top tier team will have 19 home league games not including cup and the occasional before Christmas European game(s). Thats not far off a home speedway season of 12 home league meetings, 2 league cup, a KO Cup meeting then any qualifying rounds from these. Our home fixture list is usually bare around the Cardiff GP date as we also do away meetings down south. I take the point that it is a lot for 4 home meetings in a month but balances itself out across the season.

Aye I take your point again but we get paid monthly, or weekly of course and all my personal outlays DDs and SOs are monthly. Paying for speedway is an instant hit from our monthly budget.