Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Time Travel

Great fun!

I remember reading that Middlesborough's track was affected by the tide however?

Thanks Steve. No malice or modern day comparison intended by me, of course - well, maybe the comparison bit.

I seem to re-call that too about the Boro track. In cricket, of course, I remember when Essex CCC used to play at Valentines Park, Ilford and Southchurch Park, Southend-on-Sea. The pitch at Ilford was affected by pollution and the Southend pitch was certainly affected by the tide, with spin coming into play when the tide came in over those massive mud flats that were exposed when the tide was out past the end of the longest pleasure pier in the world - a bit like a batter, who may be in when he's out (of the pavilion), but could be out when he's in (the pavilion).

Good old Essex CCC, so poor, that they used to have to drag the scoreboard from their Chelmsford HQ around the county whenever they were playing at another venue, as they could only afford the one. Times have changed a bit now, but they have under achieved badly since the halcyon days of Fletcher, Gooch, Lever, East and my South African cousin, Ken McEwan. Southchurch Park used to have an aviary in it, if memory serves. They had some very exotic birds in there - a bit like in The Only Way is Essex. I never saw a duck in the aviary, but there were plenty on the cricket wicket.

Essex CCC - another great reason, apart from bad motoring memories, to hate Kent (spit).

A great loss for the sport was Bristol what potential that had, went to the first meeting back at Eastville for the Daily mirror meeting.

Morning Sidney. You're out and about early buddy. Hope you have an enjoyable day, and leave that nice young Doctor alone, eh?

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve. No malice or modern day comparison intended by me, of course - well, maybe the comparison bit.

I seem to re-call that too about the Boro track. In cricket, of course, I remember when Essex CCC used to play at Valentines Park, Ilford and Southchurch Park, Southend-on-Sea. The pitch at Ilford was affected by pollution and the Southend pitch was certainly affected by the tide, with spin coming into play when the tide came in over those massive mud flats that were exposed when the tide was out past the end of the longest pleasure pier in the world - a bit like a batter, who may be in when he's out (of the pavilion), but could be out when he's in (the pavilion).

Good old Essex CCC, so poor, that they used to have to drag the scoreboard from their Chelmsford HQ around the county whenever they were playing at another venue, as they could only afford the one. Times have changed a bit now, but they have under achieved badly since the halcyon days of Fletcher, Gooch, Lever, East and my South African cousin, Ken McEwan. Southchurch Park used to have an aviary in it, if memory serves. They had some very exotic birds in there - a bit like in The Only Way is Essex. I never saw a duck in the aviary, but there were plenty on the cricket wicket.

Essex CCC - another great reason, apart from bad motoring memories, to hate Kent (spit).

Morning Sidney. You're out and about early buddy. Hope you have an enjoyable day, and leave that nice young Doctor alone, eh?

Slightly obscure observation but my brother used to live near Valentine's Park (Coventry Street or Road) opposite the Nolan Sisters!

You leave the good old Doctor alone a massive mistake on my part AGAIN!! fair play to the Doctor he laughed it off sorry again Doctor.Back to work tomorrow half day only, then off to that racey pacey Abbey stadium to hopefully see some good racing result immaterial.
  • Like 1

Being an Essex lad by birth, Norman, I know a bit about the attempts to bring speedway to various parts of the county over the years, and was involved in bringing the sport back to Essex, at what is now Lakeside, after the closures of Romford and Rayleigh.

I understand that the reason that speedway did not occur at Clacton-On-Sea was not because the application was turned down, but that they had an issue with the third bend, with (sea) water seeping up through the sandy sub soil and causing issues on that bend, even though there had been declarations by the promoters, Sponge Bob Squarepants and Patrick, that the track was suitable for racing. The problem persisted after the Clacton Cockleshells had to abandon their opening meeting when riders, including the then World Champion, Tide Woffinden, declared the track unsuitable for racing. Attempts were made over the next few weeks and months to get speedway up and running at the track, but despite the best efforts of track curator, King Canute, no signs of speedway were ever seen at the track. Waves of protest letters were sent in by disgruntled fans who had attended the Grand Opening Meeting, but after the promoters had had a word in everyone's shell like, the dissatisfaction levels ebbed away totally, like Castles in the Sand.

Is it true that the water was so deep that riders were submerged and when they re-surfaced they were suffering from 'the bends'?

• Like 2

Is it true that the water was so deep that riders were submerged and when they re-surfaced they were suffering from 'the bends'?

It could also put a whole new meaning to the phrase 'tactical sub'.

• Like 1

Was that the 1st and 2nd bends or the 3rd and 4th bends like at the NSS :lol: ?

And now Tac Sub? OMG you are motoring today BL65. A man whose humour level seems very much on a par with mine. We just better make (sea) sure that we do not destroy(er) the thread totally with our puns. I think we have been sailing close to the wind already and our piers may tell us to Frig(ate) off soon.

Slightly obscure observation but my brother used to live near Valentine's Park (Coventry Street or Road) opposite the Nolan Sisters!

Ah yes, Coventry Road on the south side of the Park, My elder brother had a big flat in Albermarle Gardens on the the north east side of the Park. That flat would be worth a flippin fortune now, but he burgered off to Canada about 45 years ago now. Albermarle Gardens was named after George Monck, the 1st Duke of Albermarle, who was a soldier, sea captain and statesman - not at the same time, of course, as even back then men could not multi-task - or that's what his many women told him - probably at the same time and while lying down in the buff. Coventry Road, you will know, of course Steve, was named after John Coventry, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1426 (nearly half-past two). His descendants, include - Vince Hill, Philip Larkin-About the poet, Lady Godiva, Peeping Tom and the late Jimmy Hill (and his chin) who all have come from (John) Coventry - or a john in Coventry, or have been to Coventry, can spell it , or have been sent there at some stage in their lives. 'macca56' an education in Pistory - history made fun and totally non-factual.

You leave the good old Doctor alone a massive mistake on my part AGAIN!! fair play to the Doctor he laughed it off sorry again Doctor.Back to work tomorrow half day only, then off to that racey pacey Abbey stadium to hopefully see some good racing result immaterial.

I try and avoid my Doctor like the plague - well, at least until I have the plague - a bit like today - 'macca56' is not a well boy, sniff, sniff, cough, cough and he can feel the man-flu arriving shorty. Sorry Sidney, didn't mean to imply you are not tall... You been off yourself Sid, or you doing part-time or shifts these days - or just skiving? Roobins v 'Ammers could be a half decent meeting. At least the weather is set fair. Give Lewi Kerr a cheer from me. The lad deserves an ovation at each track after his prang last season. These guys really do risk life and lamb every time they swing their leg over .... a bike, I mean. Ex Witch Romance Chewi Tungate is going well at Reserve (and against his ex club in the PL) and his confidence will be rising past his knees soon - which aren't very far off the ground, but Ro is normally as short of self-belief as is his stature, which for an Aussie is unusual, but is quite endearing I think, I have a lot of time for the little fella and am very pleased that he is getting it together with bot the Robs and the Rebs. The OTA suits his style down to a 'T' - as in Tungate, so he should be a confident little soldier now and be whooshing out of the gate and away. As I said on another thread, a confident Master Tungate is a fast difficult to beat speedway rider. I would have him back at Foxhall in an instant, but riding at the OTA is probably the best thing that could've happened to him and his career, and may even boost him up sufficiently in his SGP Qualifier to see him progress. Enjoy yor day and the meeting tomorrow buddy.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1

Was that the 1st and 2nd bends or the 3rd and 4th bends like at the NSS :lol: ?

And now Tac Sub? OMG you are motoring today BL65. A man whose humour level seems very much on a par with mine. We just better make (sea) sure that we do not destroy(er) the thread totally with our puns. I think we have been sailing close to the wind already and our piers may tell us to Frig(ate) off soon.

Ah yes, Coventry Road on the south side of the Park, My elder brother had a big flat in Albermarle Gardens on the the north east side of the Park. That flat would be worth a flippin fortune now, but he burgered off to Canada about 45 years ago now. Albermarle Gardens was named after George Monck, the 1st Duke of Albermarle, who was a soldier, sea captain and statesman - not at the same time, of course, as even back then men could not multi-task - or that's what his many women told him - probably at the same time and while lying down in the buff. Coventry Road, you will know, of course Steve, was named after John Coventry, who was Lord Mayor of London in 1426 (nearly half-past two). His descendants, include - Vince Hill, Philip Larkin-About the poet, Lady Godiva, Peeping Tom and the late Jimmy Hill (and his chin) who all have come from (John) Coventry - or a john in Coventry, or have been to Coventry, can spell it , or have been sent there at some stage in their lives. 'macca56' an education in Pistory - history made fun and totally non-factual.

I try and avoid my Doctor like the plague - well, at least until I have the plague - a bit like today - 'macca56' is not a well boy, sniff, sniff, cough, cough and he can feel the man-flu arriving shorty. Sorry Sidney, didn't mean to imply you are not tall... You been off yourself Sid, or you doing part-time or shifts these days - or just skiving? Roobins v 'Ammers could be a half decent meeting. At least the weather is set fair. Give Lewi Kerr a cheer from me. The lad deserves an ovation at each track after his prang last season. These guys really do risk life and lamb every time they swing their leg over .... a bike, I mean. Ex Witch Romance Chewi Tungate is going well at Reserve (and against his ex club in the PL) and his confidence will be rising past his knees soon - which aren't very far off the ground, but Ro is normally as short of self-belief as is his stature, which for an Aussie is unusual, but is quite endearing I think, I have a lot of time for the little fella and am very pleased that he is getting it together with bot the Robs and the Rebs. The OTA suits his style down to a 'T' - as in Tungate, so he should be a confident little soldier now and be whooshing out of the gate and away. As I said on another thread, a confident Master Tungate is a fast difficult to beat speedway rider. I would have him back at Foxhall in an instant, but riding at the OTA is probably the best thing that could've happened to him and his career, and may even boost him up sufficiently in his SGP Qualifier to see him progress. Enjoy yor day and the meeting tomorrow buddy.

I have always liked Rohan as a rider has not gone as far as he is capable off but maybe he is a slow burner.I think he finds riding the Abbey quite hard maybe set ups his style ( ect) but he is getting there.Away from home he will be a great little asset when in front he can go mighty quick i think he will improve as the season goes along.

Ex Witch Romance Chewi Tungate is going well at Reserve (and against his ex club in the PL) and his confidence will be rising past his knees soon - which aren't very far off the ground, but Ro is normally as short of self-belief as is his stature, which for an Aussie is unusual, but is quite endearing I think.

Shame he's a dirty git, and then told fibs to the referee to get himself a 21-day-ban. And his distinct lack of apology means the feud with Josh Auty is still on-going - the Sky meeting clearly demonstrated that.

All the best

Rob

Shame he's a dirty git, and then told fibs to the referee to get himself a 21-day-ban. And his distinct lack of apology means the feud with Josh Auty is still on-going - the Sky meeting clearly demonstrated that.

All the best

Rob

I am a big fan of Auty always have been, great value and on his day is Mr Excitement hope he gets through the Scunny WC round.Be great for him to reach another BF,but let's be honest he is not all white and innocent a tough rider who has been in a few scrapes along the way.The incident at Scunthorpe did look bad but in speedway a rush of blood sometimes comes to the fore hope they both move on now and both kick on and have goodish seasons.
  • Like 1

All the best

Rob

Does this bias explain your totally misjudged John/Georg Hack comment about one of my posts on the 'Poole Pirates 1969 Thread, Rob?

You really can be a total 'stunned teachers' union' at times can't you Rob?

You accuse Tungate of being a 'dirty git'? What does that make Auty then? Did he not finish a fellow rider's career once and have a number of other incidents against his name? What happened between the two of them at the EWR last season was borne out of frustration, caused by the referee not excluding Auty for his actions in the first staging of the heat in question. If Auty had been, correctly, excluded then the subsequent incident would not / could not have happened. If you genuinely believe that Tungate is the dirtier of the two riders, you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. There is bias and then there is blind faith in a rider from a team that you support, and I know which one of those that you are exuding.

I believe Rohan Tungate to be one of the fairest, most sporting, harmless riders in the sport these days. I could not say that about Josh Auty.

I believe Rohan Tungate to be one of the fairest, most sporting, harmless riders in the sport these days.

I can only assume that you're joking again. If Tungate was sporting, he would have admitted what he'd done, rather than lying to the referee (and being caught out when it turned out a fan had caught the incident on their phone) and then subsequently refusing to apologise.

Josh Auty is a hard rider and no saint, but he's honest.

I'm actually fairly moderate on this subject. Tungate caused total uproar at that meeting. He's still got to go back and face those fans - that will be interesting.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I can only assume that you're joking again. If Tungate was sporting, he would have admitted what he'd done, rather than lying to the referee (and being caught out when it turned out a fan had caught the incident on their phone) and then subsequently refusing to apologise.

Josh Auty is a hard rider and no saint, but he's honest.

I'm actually fairly moderate on this subject. Tungate caused total uproar at that meeting. He's still got to go back and face those fans - that will be interesting.

All the best

Rob

No,not joking at all. Rohan Tungate is one of the nicest people you could meet, let alone one of the nicest speedway riders.

Yes, the feud will go on, and speedway should make the most of it. Feuds were a promoter's dream back in the day and can be great for any sport.

The incident this season between them at Leicester which revived it, was down, on track, to Auty again, not Tungate - even Tatum got around to seeing it that way eventually, when he noticed Auty, with his elbows out, not keeping a straight line off the start.

I will reiterate: I believe Rohan Tungate to be one of the fairest, most sporting, harmless riders in the sport these days. I could not say that about Josh Auty.

Now, lets see if I can find Keny Ingalls contact details, so that I can ask him of his opinion on Josh Auty after the events of Heat 9 at Derwent Park on 11 August 2012 - Ah, yes, here's Kenny's tweet about his broken back: https://twitter.com/KennyIngalls/status/234681373917589504

And here's a tweet suggesting that Kenny was 'Another Josh Auty victim': https://twitter.com/GaryHavelock/status/234777462389747712

You would know better than me Rob, but did Auty offer an apology to Kenny for that incident? If memory serves, with the score at 31 - 17 going into that heat, Scunthorpe had put Auty in as a TR hadn't they? A case of over-riding maybe?

EDIT: to say, 02 August at the OTA could be an interesting evening, let alone the return five days later at the EWR. And before that, there is 02 and 04 June and then after on 18 August too. A very interesting sub plot to follow in those meetings. I know that I will be making my way to the EWR on 07 August, if both riders are due to be present that evening.

The way things are going up in Scunthorpe, in and out of speedway, it begs the question of how many of the fans that witnessed the event on 17 July last year - that you garner your hatred toward Tungate from - will be in attendance again on 07 August anyway? Oh and you say it was captured on a mobile phone video? Hasn't that type of evidence been banned now?

Referring to the incident on 17 July last season, I always find it interesting to note 'Swagman's' comments in respect of the first attempt to run Heat 10 on the, always excellent, Updates site: "Tungate down bend 2 lap 1. All 4 back. Swagman being honest thinks Auty dodged a bullet. Tungate went wide and Auty went underneath."

Read more: http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/14746/scunthorpe-ipswich-pl-17-15#ixzz47qKNdkps

Edited by macca56

Referring to the incident on 17 July last season, I always find it interesting to note 'Swagman's' comments in respect of the first attempt to run Heat 10 on the, always excellent, Updates site: "Tungate down bend 2 lap 1. All 4 back. Swagman being honest thinks Auty dodged a bullet. Tungate went wide and Auty went underneath."

Read more: http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/14746/scunthorpe-ipswich-pl-17-15#ixzz47qKNdkps

Macca56,

So you’ve trawled the internet looking for tweets four years old? You maybe need to find better things to do with your time ;)

And what did you find? A grand total of one tweet from some random person that has a go at Josh Auty. That obviously warrants vigilante action from Rohan Tungate then! Are you for real? It’s speedway racing. Accidents happen, sadly. It’s an unfortunate part of the sport. However, attacking fellow riders outside of the confines of the four racing laps is not part of the sport.

As for the original running of Heat 10, it's the type of accident that happens quite often at Scunny. The rider from the inside (Tungate) charges from inside to outside of the track, and so the rider on the outside (Auty) has two options - end up going through the fence or cut back under their opponent. Auty cut back under, but caught Tungate, who came down. Auty could have been excluded, but the ref probably took into account the fact that Tungate went from the inside to outside. In any case, whatever the ref’s decision, a racing accident.

And do you honestly think it warrants Tungate using vigilante action outside the confines of the race? He was quite fortunate that Auty is a tough character. I suspect that many of us, if attacked like that, would be off down the police station.

Tungate is not the first rider to lose his cool in such a way. And he won’t be the last. But I think what really wound up people were his subsequent lies. Had he been honest, the ref would have excluded him from the rest of the meeting, but then it would have been largely forgotten about. Richard Hall was excluded from a meeting at Scunny in 2014, and was back guesting for the Scorpions earlier this year. Richard Hall was man enough to admit he’d lost his cool, served his punishment, and that was that.

Tungate lied to the referee, giving some cock and bull story, about catching Auty by accident, because he was racing to the line against Alex Davies. Video evidence then came to light which proved Tungate’s version of events that he provided to the referee was a tissue of lies. I think that’s what many can’t stomach.

But whatever the rights and wrongs, it will be put bums on seats at the EWR later this year. Supporters do love a bit of controversy. Expect the air to turn blue when Tungate is introduced to the crowd!

All the best

Rob

On 5/1/2016 at 10:39 PM, arnieg said:

Strangely this is something I've actually thought about!

My first choices would be 17 September 1939 to see the meeting that took place at Winkfield, and a trip to California (Berkshire).

CLAPHAM CENTRAL SCHOOL MAGAZINE: THE OPENING MEETING OF THE WINKFIELD

SPEEDWAY. D. Prior.

The opening meeting of Winkfield Speedway provided an afternoon of thrilling racing. The meeting was a huge success in so much as there were no bad spills. The star rider of the afternoon was J. Boyd, a first division rider from Southampton. He was unbeaten throughout the afternoon, and set up the track record for four laps by clocking 70! secs. Boyd won the first two races of the afternoon quite comfortably. His times were 73 and 72 secs. Lewington also had quite a good afternoon, so did Newell who gained three first places and a third. Lewington is on the New Cross books, and he has the makings of a good rider. Another well-known rider at this meeting was Leslie Trim the Captain of Rye House Speedway. He had a lot of engine trouble and by no means had a good afternoon, the best he could manage was a second and a third.

The finest races of the afternoon were near the end of the meeting. In heat 14 three of the riders fell and Foster was the only finisher. The two most thrilling races of the afternoon were the last two, events 17 and 18. Event 17 was a match race between J. Boyd and Jack Adams the local captain and Boyd's ex-team mate. The race had to be re-run because at the first start Boyd's chain slipped. The second start proved successful and the two riders raced round the track wheel to wheel. First Boyd would lead, then Adams; on the last bend however Boyd managed to secure the inside position and he beat Adams by a wheel. Event 18 was a race between the fastest riders of the afternoon. It was in this race that Boyd set up the track record. He won it fairly easily, but there was a great tussle for second place between Lewington and Adams, and again Adams was beaten by a wheel. Event 16 was an Old Crocks' Race for the mechanics on bikes they had built themselves. Only two finished the time being 87% secs.

This is from the Clapham Central School Magazine - the school were evacuated to Cranbourne October 1939.

20211017_155634.jpg

• Like 1