British Speedway Forum

Wimbledon Reunion

John Hyam has had many chances and blown them all.His time is up and isn't going to be taken seriously any more on here imo.He posts this a while after trying to bait the Belle Vue fans and trying to bait many others.He who lives by the swords dies by the sword

And I guess someone who prides himself on his honesty and integrity,but never takes John Hyam to task or keeps his word of never posting on the forum again is also on shaky ground .......

Good thread,just the wrong person posted it

• Like 1

John Hyam has had many chances and blown them all.His time is up and isn't going to be taken seriously any more on here imo.He posts this a while after trying to bait the Belle Vue fans and trying to bait many others.He who lives by the swords dies by the sword

And I guess someone who prides himself on his honesty and integrity,but never takes John Hyam to task or keeps his word of never posting on the forum again is also on shaky ground .......

Good thread,just the wrong person posted it

Nothing personnel then "Iris😀😀 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

Nothing personnel then "Iris

You know me Sid,i take people as I find them and give everyone a chance,even you ;)

• Like 2

Shame that this post has been ridiculed by a few...I used to enjoy my visits to Plough Lane and particularly remember a meeting when Oxford won an early season League Cup fixture 40-38 after securing three 5-1's out of the last four heats! Great stuff! Never saw the great Tommy Jansson ride there unfortunately. Trouble is that Wimbledon shared the same race night as Oxford back in those days so visits were rare until Oxford changed their race night to Friday (having taken over Hackney's licence).

I counted "Steve that i see Tommy ride about eight times so glad i did a special memory remember the Test Match New Zealand v Sweden at Swindon.

Then the last time i see him ride was against Martin Ashby for the Helmet in 76 World Champion material Deffo.

You know me Sid,i take people as I find them and give everyone a chance,even you ;)

No but there is a long feud between you two which is sad, a Wimbledon thread ruined" Iris".🙁 Edited by Sidney the robin

unfortunately, the Wimbledon thread was ruined at the start

• Like 2

No but there is a long feud between you two which is sad, a Wimbledon thread ruined" Iris".

Sid,you have fueds with others and even threaten them and lose your rag,but deep down you love the sport.Hyam takes every opportunity to try and put the boot in.Time he gave up and went elsewhere.He say's he has dedicated himself to his many activities on Facebook,yet still seems to spend half the day on here......

• Like 1

the problem really is the person that started the thread .. I'm sure he'll be pushing for all his 4 wheel driving friends to attend as that's where his priorities lay.

I was born in Wimbledon, attended from a very early age, and kept attending until they closed originally in '91, but I'm not interested in any reunion if John Hyam is involved as I don't want to small talk about stock cars

Jon Stevens is organising the dons reunion. Jon has put in a lot of work trying to contact ex riders in the hope they will attend. He will also have a collection of Wimbledon memorabilia on display which I contributed to!
  • Like 3

Sid,you have fueds with others and even threaten them and lose your rag,but deep down you love the sport.Hyam takes every opportunity to try and put the boot in.Time he gave up and went elsewhere.He say's he has dedicated himself to his many activities on Facebook,yet still seems to spend half the day on here......

You are right i have made a DICK of myself more times than i want to remember but hey that's life.A real shame as Wimbledon is a special story, i believe there are a lot on the forum who care deeply about Speedway.
  • Like 1

You are right i have made a DICK of myself more times than i want to remember but hey that's life.A real shame as Wimbledon is a special story, i believe there are a lot on the forum who care deeply about Speedway.

True Sid.The trouble with Hyam is he has even antagonised a number of Dons fans on the Facebook site to such an extent that one guy set up another site that Hyam will not be allowed to join and a number of people are happy at that

• Like 1

the problem really is the person that started the thread .. I'm sure he'll be pushing for all his 4 wheel driving friends to attend as that's where his priorities lay.

I was born in Wimbledon, attended from a very early age, and kept attending until they closed originally in '91, but I'm not interested in any reunion if John Hyam is involved as I don't want to small talk about stock cars

unfortunately, the Wimbledon thread was ruined at the start

I barely recall you as a rider but people try to convince me that you were. That aside, I reported on Wimbledon speedway for the 'Speedway Star' from 1954 until 1962, then again in the Conference League era from late 2003 until the 2005 closure. Over the years I have also written many feature articles on the club for various publications including 'Vintage Speedway Magazine" and 'Classic Speedway'.

I was also for some years a regular photographer at the track. At no time was I ever brought to task by these publications because of my interest in stock car racing which I don't think is a criminal offence? That is why Jon Stevens, a former CL era Wimbledon rider, asked me to help him publicise the reunion is organising. I think that is a reasonable Wimbledon speedway background. In my time I have been on good terms with all the leading Wimbledon riders and management involved iin Wimbledon Speedway. Is that something you can match Steve Hone?

As you are described as a speedway photographer also Steve Hone, you may be interested in this Link that involves some of my work in that capacity at Wimbledon circa late 1960s and early 1970s. Have fun!

http://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection/C204475040

True Sid.The trouble with Hyam is he has even antagonised a number of Dons fans on the Facebook site to such an extent that one guy set up another site that Hyam will not be allowed to join and a number of people are happy at that

But seemingly by the majority who have stayed on the original Wimbledon Facebook site I am still well received. It seems members like my offerings.

The guy who quit the original Wimbledon fb group just got tetchy because I offered him an alternative - and in my view better - method of posting his photos. That was all.

I did not insult him in any way. I am not in least perturbed he has/will block me from his Wimbledon site because there is no point in being a member of TWO groups dedicated to the same topic.

Edited by Guest

Not sure how you can say you are well received John.From my experience most of your posts were ignored and had hardly any feedback.It might have changed now as I can't see any of them,but I do know that the guy had quite a bit of support and you have had quite a few run ins with others over the last year or so before I blocked you.Just like most of the posts I saw when I looked on your weird world site had hardly and feedback.I guess you think they are also well received :icon_smile_clown:

At the end of the day nobody is being forced to read or pass comment on a particular poster's comments. I tend not even bothering to read some threads and/or posts on subjects that don't particularly interest me on this forum (which there are many...certainly some of the none speedway related subjects) and avoid certain posters for the same reason. I'm sure there are some who ignore some of my comments and/or posts which is fair enough.

• Like 1

Not sure how you can say you are well received John.From my experience most of your posts were ignored and had hardly any feedback.It might have changed now as I can't see any of them,but I do know that the guy had quite a bit of support and you have had quite a few run ins with others over the last year or so before I blocked you.Just like most of the posts I saw when I looked on your weird world site had hardly and feedback.I guess you think they are also well received :icon_smile_clown:

Well apart from the guy whose name I won't mention on here and a woman member I don't recall anyone else on THE Wimbledon site (other than you probably) who were unhappy with me.

The other site you mention is I agree not flourishing - far from it - but for some reason while member responses message-wise are low, what is placed there gets plenty of likes and people still come on to join it. At the end of the day, the success of these Facebook groups are determined by the participation - or lack of participation - by its members.

Edited by Guest

I barely recall you as a rider but people try to convince me that you were. That aside, I reported on Wimbledon speedway for the 'Speedway Star' from 1954 until 1962, then again in the Conference League era from late 2003 until the 2005 closure. Over the years I have also written many feature articles on the club for various publications including 'Vintage Speedway Magazine" and 'Classic Speedway'.

I was also for some years a regular photographer at the track. At no time was I ever brought to task by these publications because of my interest in stock car racing which I don't think is a criminal offence? That is why Jon Stevens, a former CL era Wimbledon rider, asked me to help him publicise the reunion is organising. I think that is a reasonable Wimbledon speedway background. In my time I have been on good terms with all the leading Wimbledon riders and management involved iin Wimbledon Speedway. Is that something you can match Steve Hone?

As you are described as a speedway photographer also Steve Hone, you may be interested in this Link that involves some of my work in that capacity at Wimbledon circa late 1960s and early 1970s. Have fun!

http://www.skidmarks1928.com/v/photos/john-somerville-collection/C204475040

not a problem John, I can't say I've ever heard of you as a reporter, and I can't recall seeing anything by you even though I get Vintage Speedway Magazine and Classic Speedway.

I also don't recall you being a photographer at the track even though I was first taken to Wimbledon in 1967 aged 6 weeks, and was a regular until 1991, home and away through my teens included.

but that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is your constant sniping at speedway and comparisons to stock cars.

my background in speedway doesn't go as far as writing about it I'm afraid, but I always got on well with management involved at Wimbledon, I used to go to the speedway office during my lunch breaks from work just for a chat with Maido.

also, both my parents and grandparents worked at the stadium, and when Ivan Mauger came over in 1957 there was a family that pretty much looked after him and Raye while they were here the first time, but you'll need to read Ivan's autobiography and John Chaplin's book on Ivan to find out who that was. It was Ivan that got me riding, on the Hyde Road track during a New Zealand practice for a Commonwealth Final there, so no, I don't have any background whatsoever

• Like 4