British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 73 - Joe Screen, 1973, Reading, Boston Moments

ISSUE 73 is out now and includes...

JOE SCREEN INTERVIEW
Former British and World Under-21 Champion Joe Screen looks back with Rob Peasley on the early years of his illustrious career that began with Belle Vue at the end of the Backtrack era.

Joe quotes:

"It was 99 per cent sure that I was going to Hackney in 1989. But PC told me he wanted me to ride for Belle Vue. He matched the Hackney deal and then some and said he’d take me under his wing. I realised it was too good to turn down."

“Shawn went out of his way to help me. I remember going to Swindon for the junior KO Cup final. Shawn lent me everything for that meeting. He lent me his bikes and his mechanic and told me: ‘There you go, there’s my bikes, go and ride them’."

“Allan and Bobby Ham were so professional. I’d been used to dealing with John Perrin in a portakabin while he was effing and jeffing. The Ham brothers would take you out to a restaurant and make sure that you felt comfortable."

THAT WAS THE YEAR: 1973
Continuing our regular new series revisiting years gone by, Andrew Skeels looks back at exciting times when British speedway was back page news for the tabloids and a booming sport found its way into millions of homes. Highlights included the Daily Mirror International Tournament, unforgettable deciding match-races between Peter Collins and Anders Michanek, a first British League title for Reading, KO Cup glory for Belle Vue, Boston's double, Jerzy Szczakiel's sensational World Final victory, Great Britain's third consecutive World Team Cup triumph, Ivan Mauger's transfer to Exeter after another winter Rider Control saga, not to mention Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon!

PLACES & FACES with MARTIN ROGERS
Our intrepid scribe ventures to four former second tier venues and a brief open licence track. Join Martin on his stopping off points at Crewe, Long Eaton, Scunthorpe, Stoke and Castleford.

BOSTON: 50 MEMORABLE MOMENTS
Rob Peasley recalls how the Barracudas' went from being double-winning big fish in the second tier to extinction in 17 years. Our journey through the New Hammond Beck Road era includes the giant-killing of BL1 Hackney and features old favourites Arthur Price, Jack Bywater, Carl Glover, Russ Osborne, Ray Bales, Tony Featherstone, Rob Hollingworth, David Gagen, Michael Lee, Gary Guglielmi, Steve Lomas, Steve Regeling, Kevin Jolly, Darcy Ward, Cyril Crane and many more . . .

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO . . . BARRY DUKE
Injury curtailed Barry's career in the mid-70s, so it's ironic that the former Weymouth, Swindon, West Ham and Cradley Heath rider now works in a hospital operating theatre. Martin Neal explains an unlikely career path that also took him to Rhodesia during the British close season . . .

OPENING TIMES - READING 1975
Reading promoter Reg Fearman reveals to Andrew Skeels the background to the opening of speedway's first purpose-built stadium since WW2 . . .

ON TWO MINUTES WITH . . . FRANK SMITH
The former Coventry, Peterborough and Stoke rider looks back with Martin Neal on a career that saw him graduate from local cycle speedway champion to Brandon crowd favourite.

WINTER WARMERS
Close seasons are a time of hibernation for speedway fans. Doug Nicolson recalls 1972, when Motherwell and Edinburgh were the focus of the entire country during one of the darkest winters on record.

FROM CINDER TO SHALE
It's not just the racing at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Berwick that attracts speedway folk to Scotland and The Borders. Tony McDonald visited Ian Paterson's incredible collection of rare bikes and memorabilia.

WSRA DINNER
Retro Speedway's photos from the annual World Speedway Riders' Association Dinner at Leicester's Marriott Hotel, featuring former World Champions Barry Briggs, Peter Collins and the 2016 WSRA president Mark Loram.

To order this single issue or subscribe, please go to www.retro-speedway.com