British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

Alf Busk, Finn Jensen, Mel Taylor, Kevin Jolly

• Like 1

Mr Maximum at Glasgow , Charlie Monk . How he was never a World Finalist is one of speedway's great mysteries

Ray Moore at New Cross in the late 1940s early 1950s. He later switched to big circuit sports car racing and was sadly fatally injured in a track crash in the early 1960s. His loss of speedway form coincided with the serious injury in 1949 that ended the first class career of his friend and mentor Ron Johnson.

Edited by Guest

Andy Galvin never recovered from the broken thigh injury at Rye House in 1990.

Martin Dugard could have achieved more but was not strict enough with his diet.

Andy Galvin never recovered from the broken thigh injury at Rye House in 1990.

Martin Dugard could have achieved more but was not strict enough with his diet.

I remember reading an article in 'Backtrack' when Gordon Kennett commented that Martin should have taken himself off to Australia in the close season to further his experience. The experience certainly did bring some riders on...including Gordon.

I always felt that Hans Andersen could've achieved more.

When he was 'public enemy number 1' just after the 2004 world cup, he was always finishing on the gp rostrum and it only seemed a matter of time until he overtook Nicki as top Dane.

Then he changed and became 'Mr nice guy' and started to slip down the rankings.

Perhaps he should've stayed more ruthless like Nicki!

• Like 2

Paul Whitaker springs to mind. Used to see him blast around before he reached his 16th birthday and thought he was going to be a massive star, but never really fulfilled that promise even before he got some rotten luck with injuries.

Paul Whitaker springs to mind. Used to see him blast around before he reached his 16th birthday and thought he was going to be a massive star, but never really fulfilled that promise even before he got some rotten luck with injuries.

Even though he didn't really fulfill his early promise he was definitely about to break through in 91. Emerging from the shadows of Andy Galvin and Steve Schofield, and having more responsibility did him the world of good.

He was averaging over 10, and was on the verge of an England call up when he badly broke his arm, and that was basically that.

He was still only 23 at the time so he could've still made it.

As a international star Toni Kasper was a bit of a disappointment to me,he had a very good career world finals(ect).See him ride at Swindon a few times and at Hackney and he looked a proper rider maybe problems with the Czech authorities didn't help a number of Czech riders over there career who knows.

• Like 1

Per Sorensen. He rode for a number of years at Swindon and moved to Oxford in 1986...which turned Oxford's season round really. He looked as if he was making some real progress but politics and a good job meant that he didn't return to Britain in 1987. Could have gone on to achieve more in my opinion.

Two riders I thought had potential more than they achieved were Peter Nahlin and Jimmy Nilsen.

Two riders I thought had potential more than they achieved were Peter Nahlin and Jimmy Nilsen.

I would agree re:Jimmy Nilsen in particular. His international form was quite impressive but he seemed to lack that little extra when it came to his British League achievements although he did achieve some respectable, if not spectacular, averages.

Andrew Silver is my second all time favourite racer.

I find this quote above, making so much sense if it is the case. I often watched him race and thought it was his engine or set up and not him, that was preventing him being the best.

He was one of the most talented, exciting riders to watch...so entertaining...couldn't gate for toffee, but that's what made it even more entertaining as you knew he had to battle to often get past riders.

He may not be considered a World beater, but in my eyes he's one of the best Speedway riders ever...so talented.

I recall that Ivan Mauger once commented on his riding style in that he needed to tidy it up somewhat...but then I suppose Andrew would have lost that something extra if he had and would have been less exciting to watch subsequently? Did make the habit of looking behind him too frequently rather than riding his own race however.

• Like 1

Per Sorensen. He rode for a number of years at Swindon and moved to Oxford in 1986...which turned Oxford's season round really. He looked as if he was making some real progress but politics and a good job meant that he didn't return to Britain in 1987. Could have gone on to achieve more in my opinion.

Steve, while it was a shame that Per didn't return in 1987, I didn't mind, because it meant Rambo Razzer returned for another season instead and he was something of a favourite of mine.

My list:

Arne Pander - injury and politics stopped Oxford's first World Class rider from reaching a single World Final.

Martin Dugard - after Oxford, he should have moved to a big track, rather than go back at Eastbourne. The 2000 British Grand Prix showed what he was capable of.

Andrew Silver - for exactly the reasons already stated. Wasted his very considerable talent.

Dalle Anderson - brilliant at Oxford in 1995. Robbed of the World Under-21 that year in the run-off. And then... nothing really. It just didn't happen for him at Cradley/Stoke in 1996.

Nigel De'Ath - massive talent who had the confidence knocked out of him by a series of falls in 1987, following by a scary crash over the top of the Oxford safety fence on 1988's opening night.

Alastair Stevens - even bigger talent. The fall through the roof in 1986, while doing a building job, was a set-back, and later on, he just didn't prepare his machinery properly.

Carl Blackbird - seemed destined for big things when he - almost unbelievably - passed Hans Nielsen from the back three times on the same night at Oxford in 1986. But it didn't happen.

Brian Andersen - he surely would have been World Champion, but for the ill-advised decision to plate his broken collarbone, shortly after winning the 1997 British Grand Prix. So classy on the bike.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

I have to include the great Igor Plechanov. Had he been allowed to ride full time in the BL he surely would have improved on his 2 world final second places.

Steve, while it was a shame that Per didn't return in 1987, I didn't mind, because it meant Rambo Razzer returned for another season instead and he was something of a favourite of mine.

My list:

Arne Pander - injury and politics stopped Oxford's first World Class rider from reaching a single World Final.

Martin Dugard - after Oxford, he should have moved to a big track, rather than go back at Eastbourne. The 2000 British Grand Prix showed what he was capable of.

Andrew Silver - for exactly the reasons already stated. Wasted his very considerable talent.

Dalle Anderson - brilliant at Oxford in 1995. Robbed of the World Under-21 that year in the run-off. And then... nothing really. It just didn't happen for him at Cradley/Stoke in 1996.

Nigel De'Ath - massive talent who had the confidence knocked out of him by a series of falls in 1987, following by a scary crash over the top of the Oxford safety fence on 1988's opening night.

Alastair Stevens - even bigger talent. The fall through the roof in 1986, while doing a building job, was a set-back, and later on, he just didn't prepare his machinery properly.

Carl Blackbird - seemed destined for big things when he - almost unbelievably - passed Hans Nielsen from the back three times on the same night at Oxford in 1986. But it didn't happen.

Brian Andersen - he surely would have been World Champion, but for the ill-advised decision to plate his broken collarbone, shortly after winning the 1997 British Grand Prix. So classy on the bike.

All the best

Rob

Jens Rasmussen - another rider who had massive potential but injuries seemed to be his downfall...and again politics within the sport had an unsettling influence in that he was often a victim of the points limit.