British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

Steve, while it was a shame that Per didn't return in 1987, I didn't mind, because it meant Rambo Razzer returned for another season instead and he was something of a favourite of mine.

My list:

Arne Pander - injury and politics stopped Oxford's first World Class rider from reaching a single World Final.

Martin Dugard - after Oxford, he should have moved to a big track, rather than go back at Eastbourne. The 2000 British Grand Prix showed what he was capable of.

Andrew Silver - for exactly the reasons already stated. Wasted his very considerable talent.

Dalle Anderson - brilliant at Oxford in 1995. Robbed of the World Under-21 that year in the run-off. And then... nothing really. It just didn't happen for him at Cradley/Stoke in 1996.

Nigel De'Ath - massive talent who had the confidence knocked out of him by a series of falls in 1987, following by a scary crash over the top of the Oxford safety fence on 1988's opening night.

Alastair Stevens - even bigger talent. The fall through the roof in 1986, while doing a building job, was a set-back, and later on, he just didn't prepare his machinery properly.

Carl Blackbird - seemed destined for big things when he - almost unbelievably - passed Hans Nielsen from the back three times on the same night at Oxford in 1986. But it didn't happen.

Brian Andersen - he surely would have been World Champion, but for the ill-advised decision to plate his broken collarbone, shortly after winning the 1997 British Grand Prix. So classy on the bike.

All the best

Rob

Isn't that basically a list of riders who rode Oxford well?

Martin Dugard granted should have done better, Brian Andersen was unlucky, Carl Blackbird just wasn't professional enough and Andrew Silver didn't have the right style or technique to make it at the very sharp end of the sport. I'd have Joe Screen up there. From more recent times, I'd say the Swedes Freddie Lindgren, Andreas Jonsson and Antonio Lindback could - and should - have achieved more.

Chris Pusey - Very exciting rider but a serious injury in 1973 seemed to slow him up just as he appeared to be making a break through. Eventually moved to Halifax and although put in some stellar seasons gradually declined and ended up making a comeback at Weymouth of all places. Last saw him at Oxford riding for Weymouth and it was like turning the clock back. I've read that he was badly effected by the serious injury to his good mate Alan Wilkinson. Chris later succumbed to alcohol (he was once a landlord and I remember talking to Ian Cartwright who mentioned that he was the wrong person to be running a pub!) A sad loss but holds many memories with his trade mark polka dot leathers!

Lance king. Dennis siglos. Steve Lucero. Ron Preston.

Never really rated Lance King but saw a lot of Ron Preston at Eastbourne during 1982 and he was superb! His first and second bend sweeps caught many an opposition rider out. Shame that he never returned to Britain. In fact 'The Eagles' suffered a triple whammy prior to the 1983 season in that they lost their three heat leaders - Gordon Kennett, Kelly Moran and Ron - from the previous season!

Never really rated Lance King but saw a lot of Ron Preston at Eastbourne during 1982 and he was superb! His first and second bend sweeps caught many an opposition rider out. Shame that he never returned to Britain. In fact 'The Eagles' suffered a triple whammy prior to the 1983 season in that they lost their three heat leaders - Gordon Kennett, Kelly Moran and Ron - from the previous season!

Really surprised with that Steve really rated King had a nice tidy style his biggest day being third in the WC in 1984 and winning the Overseas Final at Hyde Rd.If i remember rightly he badly injured his knee and was never quite the same rider after.Other riders to mention who could have had better careers Rick Woods/ David Shields. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Really surprised with that Steve really rated King had a nice tidy style his biggest day being third in the WC in 1984 and winning the Overseas Final at Hyde Rd.If i remember rightly he badly injured his knee and was never quite the same rider after.Other riders to mention who could had better careers Rick Woods/ David Shields.

Never really took to him...don't know why. Now David Shields...sensational for Oxford in 1978. Scored a maximum in his first appearance for 'The Cheetahs!' Re-surfaced at Cradley (1982?) but the spark had gone by then.

Rick Woods - Never saw him ride during his brief period for Newport. Saw his brother, Gene, however during his time at Birmingham.

Never really took to him...don't know why. Now David Shields...sensational for Oxford in 1978. Scored a maximum in his first appearance for 'The Cheetahs!' Re-surfaced at Cradley (1982?) but the spark had gone by then.

Rick Woods - Never saw him ride during his brief period for Newport. Saw his brother, Gene, however during his time at Birmingham.

Saw Shields ride quite a lot for Oxford top scoring a max i think with George Hunter against a supporters select 1979?Rick Woods i only saw once at Newport in 73 he could of made great strides Gene Woods i think was down to ride in a Sheffield V Birmingham meeting i don't think he rode Nielsen was very good and can remember American Keith Crisco really impressing that night. Edited by Sidney the robin

Really surprised with that Steve really rated King had a nice tidy style his biggest day being third in the WC in 1984 and winning the Overseas Final at Hyde Rd.If i remember rightly he badly injured his knee and was never quite the same rider after.Other riders to mention who could have had better careers Rick Woods/ David Shields.

I was at Hyde Rd for that 15pt max in the overseas final, untouchable apart from his heat with s Moran when Moran had an ef while getting the better of a great battle.

King could then have been the youngest ever world champ had he beaten gunners en in his final ride - I believe he anticipated the start but failed to drop the clutch and Erik was gone.

He didn't return to the bl in 85 and never got close to the title again.

Preston was very good in 82, genuine heatleader- did he then retire? You are right eastbound went from having an excellent hl trio (arguably bettered that season inky by the aces and cradley), to having an absolutely awful team in 83, even worse than the swindon team of that season!

• Like 1

I was at Hyde Rd for that 15pt max in the overseas final, untouchable apart from his heat with s Moran when Moran had an ef while getting the better of a great battle.

King could then have been the youngest ever world champ had he beaten gunners en in his final ride - I believe he anticipated the start but failed to drop the clutch and Erik was gone.

He didn't return to the bl in 85 and never got close to the title again.

Preston was very good in 82, genuine heatleader- did he then retire? You are right eastbound went from having an excellent hl trio (arguably bettered that season inky by the aces and cradley), to having an absolutely awful team in 83, even worse than the swindon team of that season!

I can remember Crump senior just qualifying at Hyde Rd have a picture of him/Lance in there battle.That performance and the Carter BLRC wins stick out in the mind the 1983 BLRC is my favourite memory though.

Really surprised with that Steve really rated King had a nice tidy style his biggest day being third in the WC in 1984 and winning the Overseas Final at Hyde Rd.If i remember rightly he badly injured his knee and was never quite the same rider after.Other riders to mention who could have had better careers Rick Woods/ David Shields.

Sid, it wasn't an injury as such. Lance King didn't return to the UK in 1985, because Cradley could only afford him or Erik Gundersen, and perhaps not surprisingly, they went for the World Champ. It killed the momentum of King's career - until then he looked like a future champion.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Yes I recall he wore a support on his injured knee and lent it to Simon Wigg when he was having problems with his knee!

Isn't that basically a list of riders who rode Oxford well?

Not really. For example, Nigel De'ath led Erik Gundersen for three laps at Cradley in the opening meeting of 1987. His career seemed to be taking off, then he started to find out how much speedway can hurt. Sadly, that's probably the case with hundreds of riders.

All the best

Rob

Not really. For example, Nigel De'ath led Erik Gundersen for three laps at Cradley in the opening meeting of 1987. His career seemed to be taking off, then he started to find out how much speedway can hurt. Sadly, that's probably the case with hundreds of riders.

All the best

Rob

He started the 1987 season very well until Ronnie Correy ran into him at Cowley.

I can remember Crump senior just qualifying at Hyde Rd have a picture of him/Lance in there battle.That performance and the Carter BLRC wins stick out in the mind the 1983 BLRC is my favourite memory though.

Crump finished 2nd at that overseas final Sid, his best performance at Hyde Rd in my time watching. .

Was Egon Muller an underachiever? He overachuieved in terms of being a world champion when he was far from best rider n the world. BUT..he could have been a far better rider if he had committed more to speedway, and ridden BL.

• Like 1

I think that if King had won the World Championship in 1984 (I was there) it would have been quite a shock despite his earlier round successes. Not sure if he would have carried the crown too well...but that's just my opinion.

Bit like Les Collins in 1982. He would have been a shock winner if he had won (despite winning the previous round). John Berry went as far as to suggest that Les winning would have been more of a shock than Muller's win the following year. Not sure if I agree with that but Les was never the same force again and his British League form started to tail off from then on. He ended up at Edinburgh in 1985 when his form picked up again in the lower league. I recall an article about Les where he stated that his bikes during 1983 were not up to standard. Wasn't he JAWA works sponsored rider then? One of the true entertainers!

Edited by steve roberts