British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

I saw Mlke Lee at 15 around Kings Lynn and have yet to see a better rider at the age ,and I think he did underachieve with the talent had even though he was a World Champion.

I totally agree "Fromafar" he had seven real seasons only 1976/83 reached six World Finals a fourth place in 77, two rostrum places a winner in 80.Also he won a long track title which at that time was a massive achievement, all in all his career was a massive disappointment to me personally.It annoys me because in 1983 he had reinvented his career and would of been a big player for more titles in the next five/six years. Edited by Sidney the robin

Think Mike Lee was in a different league

Too true Sid. I first saw Mike Lee at my second ever speedway match, he was guesting for Leicester in place of Reidar Eide. All I was told before the match was 'just watch the Lions rider at No5'. Quite simply he was miles faster than anyone else there that night and scored an effortless 12 point maximum. When I asked who he was when the match was over, I was told he rode for Kings Lynn and 'it's hard to believe he's only 17, isn't it....?'

Too true Sid. I first saw Mike Lee at my second ever speedway match, he was guesting for Leicester in place of Reidar Eide. All I was told before the match was 'just watch the Lions rider at No5'. Quite simply he was miles faster than anyone else there that night and scored an effortless 12 point maximum. When I asked who he was when the match was over, I was told he rode for Kings Lynn and 'it's hard to believe he's only 17, isn't it....?'

Him and his dad were a great partnership, to think he was capable of mixing it and beating the likes of Olsen Mauger Briggo ((ect) at the age of 16/17 is unreal really.

I think Ove Fundin should have won more world titles.....

If you apply that logic I suppose you could also say Ronnie Moore when you consider what might have been achieved if he had continued to ride Speedwáy in years spent car racing and in his first spell of premature retirement.

In more recent times we can speculate on what David Norris might have achieved had given up the beer and concentrated on fitness much earlier than he actually did. It seems we had only just started to see what he could really do when he had that head injury that basically finished his career.

NO NO NO Norbold have you been on the pop!Myself so disapointed Briggo only won four titles 1972? but when you analyse it you are RIGHT Ove should of won more than 5 titles.

Briggo should have won more and was certainly capable of it but I think the measure of his greatness was in qualifying for a record 17 consecutive World Fiinals and 18 in all. Actually winning a World final can in someways come down to luck, I.e. gate positions , and who you ride against at what stage of the meeting but to get though all the qualifying rounds and reach th Final 17 times on the trot, and get on the podium in more than half of them is a fantastic acievement, and it's why in my opinion Briggo ranks alongside the very best the sport has ever seen. Edited by E I Addio

Briggo reaching finals from 1954/70 was some achievement missed out on the Ole win in 71,but comeback and for me would of won the final in 72.

Kevin Holden

Georg (unrelated to John) Hack

Karl Maier

Henka Gustafsson

Steve Weatherley

Tim Hunt

David Jackson

Mark Thorpe

Phil Crump

Phil Herne

Tony Davey

Ben Howe

Alan Farmer

Nick Doncaster

Neil Middleditch

Peter and Louis Carr

Simon Stead

Ritchie Hawkins

Tommy Knudsen

Joe Haines

Billy Sanders

Steve 'Eccles' Holden - Ex Stoke and Oxford rider. Used to live in a caravan at the back of the pits at Oxford. Quite a character. He occasionally went round to my grandmother's for the occasional meal. If I recall he used to hang out with the likes of Peter Collins and the Morton brothers when they were all quite young. He just disappeared off the scene not long after joining Oxford after showing plenty of promise the previous year (1975) at Stoke.

Sadly no longer with us.

The way it is going it might have been easier to just list those riders who fulfilled their potential :rofl::P

• Like 1

The way it is going it might have been easier to just list those riders who fulfilled their potential :rofl::P

Yes but it's fun though isn't it!

• Like 1

Found this video of the 1992 gold cup final Reading v Wolverhampton yesterday

(if the Racers had had a decent team manager they would have won that :lol: ) and reminded me that Sam`s brother Dukie was a decent rider on his day but never really fulfilled the potential.

Yes once upon a time the Racers had a good team manager:- Bob Radford wasn't it?

Found this video of the 1992 gold cup final Reading v Wolverhampton yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuQSht3xZhQ (if the Racers had had a decent team manager they would have won that :lol: ) and reminded me that Sam`s brother Dukie was a decent rider on his day but never really fulfilled the potential.

Perhaps we should start a new thread...Who was the best Team Manager?

Yes once upon a time the Racers had a good team manager:- Bob Radford wasn't it?

Remember when Bob Radford became General Manager at Oxford in 1974 and left during the season! If I remember it all stemmed from the time that he advised Gordon Kennett not to make the trip to Cowley for a British League Bank Holiday Meeting against rivals Swindon because the forecast was bleak. However the meeting went ahead without Gordon (I think Alan Johns deputised?) and 'The Rebels' lost to arch rivals 'The Budgies'!

Whenever Bob Radford comments about Oxford there is always a certain amount of bitterness...but he never really fitted in at Cowley in my opinion and it wasn't a surprise that he moved on (a view echoed by the Promoters at the time).

Edited by steve roberts

Yes, that's why I added Ove Fundin!

• Like 1

Does it matter?😅 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1