British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

All good riders in the National League but none showed the inclination to move up full time. The British League Division Two was introduced to develop new young talent but that concept seemed to be forgotten once the League re-invented itself and became the New and then National League. I didn't begrudge riders wishing to remain as 'big fish in little pools' but personally I feel that when the league went independent England began to loose its way on the international front and the supply of riders began to dry up.

Do you think Steve that the Owen bros who were both top and decent riders Tom was a top average NL rider. Joe was big for a few years.Joe proved it when he give a go at Newcastle and before at Hull a real class act to me Hunter another Newcastle rider who oozed class for me never quite did it at BL level.Newcaste are a great club a great breeding ground for others Mauger,Olsen,Michanek, Lovaas Peterson ,B.Pedersen,N.Pedersen,.Bjerre If you conquer Brough as a track you are nearly half way there in doing OK in your career a real hard track in my view to conquer. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Do you think Steve that the Owen bros who were both top and decent riders Tom was a top average NL rider. Joe was big for a few years.Joe proved it when he give a go at Newcastle and before at Hull a real class act to me Hunter another Newcastle rider who oozed class for me never quite did it at BL level.Newcaste are a great club a great breeding ground for others Mauger,Olsen,Michanek, Lovaas Peterson ,B.Pedersen,N.Pedersen,.Bjerre If you conquer Brough as a track you are nearly half way there in doing OK in your career a real hard track in my view to conquer.

Hi Sid - (B)rough Park certainly produced enough stars (or should that be Diamonds?) over the years! I admired the fact that Rod Hunter came to Oxford in 1983 when Newcastle rode in the National League and scored a maximum and the following year when Newcastle rode in the British League he again scored a maximum...although both Nielsen and Wiggy weren't competing that night.

Joe was a quality rider but he admitted himself that in hindsight he should never have joined Hull. Tom never committed to the British League but he did appear for both Newport and Hull on occasions and didn't disgrace himself.

Little Geoff Curtis was another Newcastle rider who I admired and it was rumoured that he was to join Oxford (he lived not far from me) before he was tragically killed.

But my point about the National League becoming independent seemed to stem the flow of British talent in later years. Eastbourne produced many would be stars who took the plunge but always managed to replace them from within their own ranks (Mike Sampson excepted)

The England team of the successful 1970s had the likes of Betts, Wilson, Ashby and Simmons who didn't see service in the lower league but were soon joined by the likes of Collins, Louis, Jessup, Lee, Morton, Davis, Kennett, Lee etc and the success was spectacular to put it mildly. In fact England were that good that no other nation could compete with them hence why in 1977 a Rest of the World select side took on the mighty Lions.

Later the likes of Carter and Wigg would go on and compete for England but the conveyor belt became less productive as speedway moved into the eighties.

Edited by steve roberts

Hi Sid - (B)rough Park certainly produced enough stars (or should that be Diamonds?) over the years! I admired the fact that Rod Hunter came to Oxford in 1983 when Newcastle rode in the National League and scored a maximum and the following year when Newcastle rode in the British League he again scored a maximum...although both Nielsen and Wiggy weren't competing that night.

Joe was a quality rider but he admitted himself that in hindsight he should never have joined Hull. Tom never committed to the British League but he did appear for both Newport and Hull on occasions and didn't disgrace himself.

Little Geoff Curtis was another Newcastle rider who I admired and it was rumoured that he was to join Oxford (he lived not far from me) before he was tragically killed.

But my point about the National League becoming independent seemed to stem the flow of British talent in later years. Eastbourne produced many would be stars who took the plunge but always managed to replace them from within their own ranks (Mike Sampson excepted)

The England team of the successful 1970s had the likes of Betts, Wilson, Ashby and Simmons who didn't see service in the lower league but were soon joined by the likes of Collins, Louis, Jessup, Lee, Morton, Davis, Kennett, Lee etc and the success was spectacular to put it mildly. In fact England were that good that no other nation could compete with them hence why in 1977 a Rest of the World select side took on the mighty Lions.

Later the likes of Carter and Wigg would go on and compete for England but the conveyor belt became less productive as speedway moved into the eighties.

Top riders were happy to stay in the NL one reason was that many had jobs or businesses ( Tom Owen plant hire) and tended to where possible ride at tracks close to home /work.Another factor was that the vast majority of BL tracks were southern based except for the likes of B/VUE Wolves and the Dukes .

• Like 1

Top riders were happy to stay in the NL one reason was that many had jobs or businesses ( Tom Owen plant hire) and tended to where possible ride at tracks close to home /work.Another factor was that the vast majority of BL tracks were southern based except for the likes of B/VUE Wolves and the Dukes .

Yes that's very true.

One of my favourite National League riders was Mike Sampson who doesn't really get the credit he deserves for helping White City win the championship in 1977. When 'The Rebels' relocated to Arlington in 1979 I remember that Mike turned down the opportunity in moving up and was transferred to Nottingham and became a Cradley asset. The mind boggles, however, to think that he, together with Bob Coles, used to travel up to Barrow from their home base in Exeter on a weekly basis back in the old Second Division days! Can't imagine many riders today considering to do that...and of course Michael Coles who used to travel from Exeter to Edinburgh weekly! What was it living in Exeter I wonder?

Yes that's very true.

One of my favourite National League riders was Mike Sampson who doesn't really get the credit he deserves for helping White City win the championship in 1977. When 'The Rebels' relocated to Arlington in 1979 I remember that Mike turned down the opportunity in moving up and was transferred to Nottingham and became a Cradley asset. The mind boggles, however, to think that he, together with Bob Coles, used to travel up to Barrow from their home base in Exeter on a weekly basis back in the old Second Division days! Can't imagine many riders today considering to do that...and of course Michael Coles who used to travel from Exeter to Edinburgh weekly! What was it living in Exeter I wonder?

How true they did IMO earn the money in those days and I do get a little perplexed when the current w/champ( who has drivers, mechanics , works backing) says he is over worked ,has he ever had 2hrs sleep and got up for 8hrs work !!!

• Like 1

A great post mucker, Curtis who i only see ride twice once at the abbey think in the 73 championship season Geoff God bless i think would of done well been a International star minimum.Eastbourne under the Dugards great stuff for me Weatherley,Eric Dugard,Gachet,Middleditch,Mcneil few examples.After Woodsey woods a proper English rider grass roots(ect)loved Woods and really Gordon Kennett a great rider loyal to the hilt.Funny really never liked Eastbourne as a track but loved going still M.Dugard always rated had a decent career retired to young. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1