British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Riders Who Never Quite Fulfilled Their Full Potential

Have to say there have been plenty,but recently Arthur Sissis looked superb on 80cc,had bags full of talent I thought and then somehow it went all wrong both with road bikes and speedway.....

Have to say I saw Anders Mellgren on 80cc and at the time thought Dennis Andersson looked a better bet and he also didn't make it

Edited by iris123

Dalle Andersen who looked really useful when he made his debut for Oxford during the 1995 season. He rode for Cradley/Stoke the following year and was a pale shadow. Re-surfaced later riding for Edinburgh but just didn't fulfil that early promise. I think that he suffered with a recurring back injury that curtailed his career.

Toni kAsper . Steve finch.

Carter and knudsen possibly in the category of Lee and morans, riders who didn't fulfill the potential shown at wembley 81 though for quite different reasons.

Tommy Jansson and Tony Briggs for different reasons again.

Martin Scarisbrick is the first name that comes to mind, remember his heroics in the fours final?

Anders Mellgren, the only non-Dane to win the Youth Gold Trophy, is a more contemporary choice.

Going back further how about Bobby McNeil?

Saw quite a bit of scars brick when he rode for aces in 85,tbh never thought he was as good even as someone like Kenny Mckinna.

He was a load better than mark crang though, or the aces juniors of that era except for declan Eccles, who maybe falls into this category. Eccles made a young Andy Smith or garritty look like a model of composure!

Mikael Blixt - career ended by injuries. Karol Zabik - lack of commitment and poor attitude ruined what looked a promising career.

This may seem an odd choice but how about Bruce Penhall?. Yes, he won back to back World titles but what if he had not retired. Had he continued riding throughout the 1980's would he be up there with Mauger, Rickardsson, Fundin, Briggs and Nielsen?.

I think quite possibly yes which is I say Bruce Penhall did not realise his full potential.

At the same time, could penhall have ever ridden better than he did in 81? I'd argue he fulfilled his potential, even if he didn't win as many titles as he could have.

Ah but...would he have needed to ride better than he did in 1981 to win more titles?. Maybe he did reach his full potential but failed to capitalise on it.

I was privileged to be at Wembley in 1981 and sorely missed watching him following his, to me premature retirement.

Jack Parker - he missed out on being world champion.

Karol Zabik - lack of commitment and poor attitude ruined what looked a promising career.

+ injuries like broken thigh 2 years in a row and several bad bangs to the head. If I remember correct.

Another great rider who should have been a world champion but never achieved it was Australian legend Vic Duggan.

Jack Parker - he missed out on being world champion.

Spot on.

Another great rider who should have been a world champion but never achieved it was Australian legend Vic Duggan.

Spot on again.

Duggan what a riding style! and " Custom how many titles could of Tommy Farndon won.

What a trio of great names - three riders all of whom had the talent and ability to be world champions but never achieved it for various reasons: Jack Parker, Vic Duggan, Tommy Farndon. And riders with a different character and bearing to some - even in very recent times - who have achieved winning speedway's most coveted individual title.

Edited by Guest

If you have not read Norman Jacobs' book on Tom Farndon you really should.

Loving your trio of great names but make it a quartet with Bluey Wilkinson. The war and an early death cut short what surely would have been an illustrious career.

• Like 2