British Speedway Forum
robert72

David Hemsley Has Resigned As Promoter Of Leicester Speedway

I see that DH before he resigned decided that season ticket holders at Leicester City Football club can get in for £10 but regular Leicester Lions Speedway fans have to pay the Full £18 for there loyal support. Loyalty means nothing then.

The club has faced criticism from some on it's offer to LCFC fans for tonight's meeting, but they're at least trying to be pro-active in attracting new fans to the sport. It's no good getting the same old people attending but paying less, they need to attract new fans who will hopefully return, I know it will upset regular supporters ( i'm a Lions season ticket holder myself) , but surely we need to look at the bigger picture & get new people attending, because if not the club will die again & ultimately it will be another nail in the coffin for the sport.

• Like 4

Well done to Helmsley in bring the sport back to Leicester. And well do e to him for resigning. Now perhaps it can be run properly.

He made a complete howler of the track shape when he had a blank canvas, he wouldnt listen to advice and as a result the racing suffered and with it the crowd dwindled.

Fresh promoter needed to finish the track, start building a report with the fans and sort out the correct race night. Not that difficult job to be honest.

As for Helmsley and wanting change in the BSPA. You cant do anything from the outside.

This is not bad news at all to be honest.

Hemsley certainly has been the good, the bad and the ugly of Leicester Speedway.

At the same time this could be really bad as the property developers will get wind of this pretty quick

If there are only six teams in the EL, then the speedway constitution states thathe EL and PL merge to make two leagues. There will aleays be s top lesgue and second division.

And judging by the size of the crowds Leicester got a couple of years ago, they could be won back. Helmsley wouldnt listen. He even altered the track shape Ermolenko marked out then sacked him.

Hemsley certainly has been the good, the bad and the ugly of Leicester Speedway.

At the same time this could be really bad as the property developers will get wind of this pretty quick

I don't think you need worry about the land being sold for development. The reason that the land is not already built on is that it formed part of Leicester's main sewage farm until the sewage works at Wanlip were built. As a result the land was heavily contaminated with heavy metals (e.g. Cadmium & Lead) and is not suitable for building on because of danger to those living or working on the land. Not sure if spectators are at risk!

Edited by Happy Hunter

What amazes me is that with so many promoters moaning about decisions making since the AGM how nobody stood up and said, "look, we're making a pigs ear of this". So far Hemsley, Chapman, Rosco and Horton (half the EL including BSPA chairman) have said the whole thing is a farce, things were rushed or they're disillusioned.

Still, all part of the great new era for Chapman and his band of merry men.

maybe a few of them did stand up and say its wrong, but if they did would they of been listened too after all the voting/decisions were made, those promoters that wanted these changes and are better off because of them are to blame, poole,lakeside,wolves....

what we need is a fully transparent AGM , so we the fans know who/which promoter/s drafted the rules and which ones voted for and against them....

whats to hide?....i wonder

A typical response from a Poole Fan. This Guy has tried to make speedway work, He has built a track, that is far better than anything I've seen in Dorset , and you come out with comments like that. The sport is in desperate need of more people like David Hemsley.

I suggest you get off your arse and put some positive work into the sport like David Hemsley has done, then you'll be able to make a worth-while comment... until then go outside and play.....................

grw though its obviously totally acceptable for you to have differing views on the subject theres really no need for comments such as"go outside and play" this all has nothing to do with poole and who i support is irrelevant, the point i was making was that speedway promoters dont have a divine right to be successesfull or make a profit and the ones that arent so good at it wont(i wish hed made a huge success of it)many years ago i had greengrocery shops bmouth and ringwood,some of us made good money some great money and some went bust,i sold and bought small hotel in bournemouth,probably more risky than speedway promoting we had the business for 12yrs before selling for flats, during that time dozens and dozens of small hotels went bust or the owners lasted a couple of yrs then got out the business,similar to speedway,the point im making is that in any business if your not very good its going to be a real struggle.respectfully yours keith

• Like 2

And again a Poole fan misses the whole context of the statement. Its quite clear some promoters have serious concerns how the AGM went and where the sport is heading.

We all know whats happening but please, stop taking pops at Poole which seems to be your agenda. See National stadium thread, and whether you like it or not, speedway WILL have to change.

Edited by Starman2006

Well done to Helmsley in bring the sport back to Leicester. And well do e to him for resigning. Now perhaps it can be run properly.

He made a complete howler of the track shape when he had a blank canvas, he wouldnt listen to advice and as a result the racing suffered and with it the crowd dwindled.

Fresh promoter needed to finish the track, start building a report with the fans and sort out the correct race night. Not that difficult job to be honest.

As for Helmsley and wanting change in the BSPA. You cant do anything from the outside.

This is not bad news at all to be honest.

Typical Gavan post. You should know by now that in his world Poole were responsible for the holocaust.

Steve your club is going along nicely but remember without the other clubs your club is zilch.Ok Ford is decent at what he does,whether he always morally does the right thing that is debatable ok these guy at Leicester might of made a few mistakes but we need these fresh people in British speedway.Lets put it another way stick Ford say at Middlesboro, nowt wrong with it there sorry nothing against the area then we would see how good Ford was.Ford he has done a great job but let's be honest compared to most other areas he is running a club in a mini Monaco.
  • Like 1

Ummmm okayyyyy. Blaming the sports decline on Poole fans, that's bad even for you!

Lisa, please don't argue with him thats what he wants. You cannot compete with forum trolls.

We all know whats happening but please, stop taking pops at Poole which seems to be your agenda. See National stadium thread, and whether you like it or not, speedway WILL have to change.

He didnt take a pop at Poole, he quite rightly pointed out that it was a Poole fan who made a rather idiotic post.

• Like 2

He didnt take a pop at Poole, he quite rightly pointed out that it was a Poole fan who made a rather idiotic post.

But we all know which way it was going whether you agree or not.

Steve, ive heard several reports about this, somebody moving the pegs to change the layout was one. But somebody needs to held to account for it because they have completely buggered things up. I feel sorry for there fans..

sounds like deja vu all over again, yet another disillusioned promoter, i wonder why....seems to me that his ideas were scorned at and maybe even laughed at, how dare a newcomer come in and tell us how to do our job...

bspa is inept at looking long term, its always short term tricks for certain clubs to benefit from,, sod the others....

Edited by heathen chemistry

The club has faced criticism from some on it's offer to LCFC fans for tonight's meeting, but they're at least trying to be pro-active in attracting new fans to the sport. It's no good getting the same old people attending but paying less, they need to attract new fans who will hopefully return, I know it will upset regular supporters ( i'm a Lions season ticket holder myself) , but surely we need to look at the bigger picture & get new people attending, because if not the club will die again & ultimately it will be another nail in the coffin for the sport.

They need to have a good product with a good team, they have neither and just a small amount of regular Leicester fans remaining who will have to pay £8 more than someone who has a season ticket for another sport.

It should be £10 tonight for everyone and they should of used a different PR approach to bring in Football fans so not to crap on the regulars by looking after newbies.

sounds like deja vu all over again, yet another disillusioned promoter, i wonder why....seems to me that his ideas were scorned at and maybe even laughed at, how dare a newcomer come in and tell us how to do our job...

bspa is inept at looking long term, its always short term tricks for certain clubs to benefit from,, sod the others....

Thats got nothing to do with how the track was set out. Clearly you also have a hidden agenda.

Thats got nothing to do with how the track was set out. Clearly you also have a hidden agenda.

Your agenda is whats good for Poole and not whats good for British Speedway. So excuse us if we ignore anything you have to say.