British Speedway Forum
robert72

David Hemsley Has Resigned As Promoter Of Leicester Speedway

As I said, No point being the top club when there are no other clubs to compete against.

No doubt about it, speedway in the UK is going down, its now up to individual promotors to work together for the betterment of the sport, to make sure there is a tomorrow.

But according to Gavan it is Poole fans that are causing it not promoters. So if there were no Poole fans everything would be okay it seems.

But according to Gavan it is Poole fans that are causing it not promoters. So if there were no Poole fans everything would be okay it seems.

Gavan is always right, didn't you know that Lisa

The one thing everyone can agree on is the Elite league is in a real mess now.

• Like 1

The EL has been in a mess for well over 10 years now. The big decline in the sport started in the 90's. They where just to stuppid to get something done to bring the sport into a new era. Instead they have just bummbled along until most of the clubs have about as many fans on the teraces as there are in your local pub, on a week night.

What will happen next year, I dread to think, this has been the worst EL that has been macled together since it went from being an amatuer sport. With teams have nothing better in some of them than if they where in the PL.

For the sake of keeping the sport running, they need to scap the league system, and start again from scratch. Because after this year fans will not be going to mettings with second rate teams and being expected to fork out £18 to go and watch a dying sport.

Lets hope that they can do something to bring the sport into the 21st centuray, another couple of years of what we have put up with this year and the EL will be gone for good.

So you're telling me that the man they voted in as new chairman didn't have the respect of the other promoters to be able to stand up and say, "FFS, this is a joke"? It didn't have to be him either, how have the EL managed to mess up so badly when 50% of promoters are so pissed off? And do we know what CVS, Ford, Cook and Morton/Gordon are thinking privately?

It remains to be seen if this new chairman makes any difference or major changes, nothing exactly earth shattering so far.

Not holding my breath.

problem is the bspa is a collective they all vote but you never know which one /s are to blame , so they all get tarnished

wouldnt it be nice if one of them spilled the beans

Probably sign something it say they are not allowed to cos if Sandhu hasn't then no one will!

maybe a few of them did stand up and say its wrong, but if they did would they of been listened too after all the voting/decisions were made, those promoters that wanted these changes and are better off because of them are to blame, poole,lakeside,wolves....

what we need is a fully transparent AGM , so we the fans know who/which promoter/s drafted the rules and which ones voted for and against them....

whats to hide?....i wonder

t

I'm wondering if the votes at the AGM were split and as such the chairman would have the casting vote. As Buster wasn't voted in until the end he could not change things.

Let's judge him by what happens at the next AGM. If he doesn't do something radical and more importantly sensible I'll be the first to complain about him.

If the EL (as looks likely) collapses next year then we are faced with the NL, a well run part time sport and the rest. There are a few clubs in the EL and the premier on the brink of extinction who may be able to survive part time. Then a few clubs (poole, Belle Vue..an other with half decent potential attendences. Then the rest. IE the whole premier has sub 1000 attendences (an in a good few cases sub 500). Getting an Elite league to run without a very generous TV deal must be practically impossible. If anyone drops out the EL, who would take their place?

Birmingham dropped out in recent times. This isnt because the clubs arent run properly

On this particular point I couldn't agree less.

When the Phillips' were at Birmingham, the club was run so badly, they were firstly locked out of the stadium by the landlord, secondly kicked out of the EL and finally they were disqualified from ever being involved in speedway again.

It's been mentioned on here and other threads that David Hemsley is not the most people friendly person out there. You can see that's a reasonably accurate description by some of the company he keeps, notably the person he appointed team manager a couple of seasons ago. However, he has at least put his money where his mouth is and reintroduced speedway to the city of Leicester after almost 30 years. He has also not been afraid to be ambitious, and has taken Leicester into the top speedway league in this country, admittedly with somewhat mixed results. Personally, I feel his choice of race night is totally wrong for the Lions currently and then there is the ongoing debate as to whether the track is actually any good or not (most fans say it isn't). When all is said and done though, it's his money, his future on the line, he can do what he wants, and largely has.

What Mr Helmsley hasn't done though, is declare open warfare on his own club, encourage divisions within his own staff for his own ends and indulge in character assassination, all of which I saw happen with my club, and which nearly condemned it to oblivion. Personally, I wish Mr Helmsley, Leicester Lions speedway team and all their supporters the best for the future. I hope they can survive, speedway can ill afford to lose another team.

• Like 6

The EL has been in a mess for well over 10 years now. The big decline in the sport started in the 90's. They where just to stuppid to get something done to bring the sport into a new era. Instead they have just bummbled along until most of the clubs have about as many fans on the teraces as there are in your local pub, on a week night.

What will happen next year, I dread to think, this has been the worst EL that has been macled together since it went from being an amatuer sport. With teams have nothing better in some of them than if they where in the PL.

For the sake of keeping the sport running, they need to scap the league system, and start again from scratch. Because after this year fans will not be going to mettings with second rate teams and being expected to fork out £18 to go and watch a dying sport.

Lets hope that they can do something to bring the sport into the 21st centuray, another couple of years of what we have put up with this year and the EL will be gone for good.

If they are going to scrap the league system what is going to replace it ?

On another point surely everyone has an equal vote at the BSPA conference. If every promoter says 'run it my way or I'm out then the sports stuffed

So Mick Horton to move the Coventry outfit into Leicester next season and some other poor unfortunate PL club sent up to the EL to make the numbers up.

Will anybody give me 5000/1?

If you have deep pockets (MF) and a nice place to live (especially for Aussies) then you seem to be able to maintain a good team.

People then talk about combining the EL and PL but the losers will be EL supporters who will feel hard done by with their lot!.

However it probably will have to happen one day with doubling up and down going the way it is.

• Like 1

So if there were no Poole fans everything would be okay it seems.

It would be much better without two of them ;)

• Like 1

So Mick Horton to move the Coventry outfit into Leicester next season and some other poor unfortunate PL club sent up to the EL to make the numbers up.

Will anybody give me 5000/1?

Its either that, or Coventry are finished. Which would you prefere ? And to my mind if Coventry are offered it they should accept it. And a PL side doesn't have to come up providing we keep the 8.

Edited by Starman2006

A typical response from a Poole Fan. This Guy has tried to make speedway work, He has built a track, that is far better than anything I've seen in Dorset , and you come out with comments like that. The sport is in desperate need of more people like David Hemsley.

I suggest you get off your arse and put some positive work into the sport like David Hemsley has done, then you'll be able to make a worth-while comment... until then go outside and play.....................

I thought you were never going to post on the forum again ? ....people said your be back in a couple of weeks ...another drama queen who ran off with his ball .

• Like 3