British Speedway Forum
robert72

David Hemsley Has Resigned As Promoter Of Leicester Speedway

The last thing we need is Coventry at Leicester...we hate them and can't wait until they shut....the track might be "crap" but at least we have a track that is a lot better than it used to be due to recent changes.

Thats the spirit...Not :nono:

The only bit that would work is Leicester dropping back to the Premier League. Coventry riding at Leicester would be a disaster, as would running a team in the National League. Sadly not enough fans are interested in watching NL racing and if they can't be bothered to 'go down the road' to Brandon they certainly wouldn't travel to Leicester.

I know this might sound strange but I would go and I've enjoyed my trips to Leicester.

I know this might sound strange but I would go and I've enjoyed my trips to Leicester.

If there was a new stadium being built and it was just a case of keeping a team together until it's completion ,then I think a lot of Bees would travel to leicester , but on a basis of riding there while a new place was found ,I think we have all seen the example of Cradley at Stoke .and no one would bother .

The only bit that would work is Leicester dropping back to the Premier League. Coventry riding at Leicester would be a disaster, as would running a team in the National League. Sadly not enough fans are interested in watching NL racing and if they can't be bothered to 'go down the road' to Brandon they certainly wouldn't travel to Leicester.

Leicester may have done a bit better with their foray into NL speedway ,if they had got someone who knew about speedway as the manager instead of the arrogant know all they used , I know of at least 100 people who stayed away from their NL matches because they didnt include any local riders , at the time there were 3 local lads all well known to the lions supporters more than capable of doing a decent job in the NL , but despite them being highly recommended , mr know it all . used lads who already had team places from anywhere except Leicestershire

The last thing we need is Coventry at Leicester...we hate them and can't wait until they shut....the track might be "crap" but at least we have a track that is a lot better than it used to be due to recent changes.

Did you support this team before you became a Leicester fan?

http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/bellend.html

• Like 2

If there was a new stadium being built and it was just a case of keeping a team together until it's completion ,then I think a lot of Bees would travel to leicester , but on a basis of riding there while a new place was found ,I think we have all seen the example of Cradley at Stoke .and no one would bother .

I said this, it could work IF a stadium was being built and we knew we would be back in Coventry. It would only work for a year though.

The last thing we need is one less team or one less track.

Suggestions of Cov riding and Leicester have many drawbacks, but keeping Cov going would count as a positive. It is a good job not all Leicester fans are as bitter as you. (And yes I remember that day in late October 1983 well)

I remember that day too. And how sad it felt at the time. Speedway does not quite seem the same when it vanishes from your home town.

Would not want to see that happen to Coventry supporters. As fans of speedway we should be more united.

I'll get off me soapbox now.

this a serious post?

this a serious post?

Oh yes. He's said it before. :neutral: It doesn't make any difference that it was over 30 years ago and the closure of Blackbird Road was nothing at all to do with any subsequent promoters at Coventry. Even Charles Ochiltree, the so called guilty person, was part of Midland Sports Stadiums who also owned West Ham so wasn't acting on his own. Sad that someone could still be so bitter and twisted that they'd be happy to see another track shut down.

• Like 3

Oh yes. He's said it before. :neutral: It doesn't make any difference that it was over 30 years ago and the closure of Blackbird Road was nothing at all to do with any subsequent promoters at Coventry. Even Charles Ochiltree, the so called guilty person, was part of Midland Sports Stadiums who also owned West Ham so wasn't acting on his own. Sad that someone could still be so bitter and twisted that they'd be happy to see another track shut down.

he's not on his own at leicester though Gem , although he's the only one who comes on here spitting bile . the worst ones are the ones who never knew speedway existed before leicester re-opened but think putting on a Lions scarf gives them the right to spit bile on the strength of hearsay

Quite a few Coventry supporters live south of Coventry and I know it is only a matter of keeping on the A46/M69 but I doubt they would travel.

• Like 1

Been away from speedway for 30 years and since returning the stories I hear (on this forum) as to whats happening in British speedway shocks me.

It seems something is badly wrong, has been for some years, and unless major change will continue into the future.

When I look at my recent copy of Bactrack magazine I am reminded that at one time there were two leagues each with 18 teams.

Of course lots of things have changed in the UK since then that eroded the potential of speedway, but looking at the sorry state of affairs now and one could almost cry.

I dont have an answer to the problem and sadly neither does the powers that be in UK speedway.

I can only see a further demise in British speedway in the future.

I am now only interested in the top individual meetings, but may be tempted to go to the new Belle Vue to see national league speedway sometime this year, maybe soon.

[/qu

ote]

MAJOR CHANGES nit pickin minor changes every year are a lot of the problem

TOP IND MEETS i only go to gps now

B VUE TEMPTING?? pick a day when its not raining

and the track does not need relaying

what a place to have a national stadium....(monsoon county

There is a lot more to his promotors resignation it was more of a case that he walked before he was pushed as his position in the BSPA has become unworkable.

That sounds rather more serious than a disagreement over the Elite League/British Speedway's direction of travel.

That sounds rather more serious than a disagreement over the Elite League/British Speedway's direction of travel.

Yes that's what I thought too.

Yes that's what I thought too.

Can a promoter be pushed/dismissed/got rid of from the BSPA? Are you a member by right if you are a promoter?