Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Somerset V Glasgow Pl May 13th 2016 @ 19-30

Plymouth looking for a number 1.

Oh wait....!

Well people said this match should have been on sky - and it's a crying shame that it wasn't. What a meeting this was. It literally had everything. Fantastic racing, a close score line or 2/3 of the match, handbags from Lawson and then heat 15 which will probably go down as the race of the season even this early in the season!

Tungate, Starke and Wilson-Dean were just sensational for Somerset. The 5-1 from Tungate and Wilson-Dean when they both passed Lawson was top drawer and the real match changer. Toys out the pram from Lawson in heat 13 when Tungate wound it on and dived under him into turn 1. Classic speedway so I don't know what Lawson's problem was there - especially as he made the same mistake again in heat 15 leaving a big hole on the inside this time for Paul Starke to go from a mile back up the inside of Lawson and run Worrall up to the fence and win in sensational fashion. Last to first. The progress Starke has made from a 3 pointer when we first signed him to world class last to first wins in heat 15 is brilliant to watch. Jake Allen was right on it too. Our top 6 is so solid and the only last place again on the 15 heats for them was Jake Allen in heat 15 when the match was already won.

For Glasgow, well, they promised so much at the start and didn't deliver anywhere near that potential come the end. Jesus Christ what has happened to Ben Barker? I have never seen him so poor. His only point was a tussle with Zak. Painfully slow and looking desperate, and then only finished two races. Piss poor from him. Typically Worrall rode better than he ever seemed to for Somerset. Lawson looked fast when he gated, and not so much when he didn't. Spat his dummy out when he got done by Tungate, but that was just hard speedway. Garcia looked like he had something about him in heat 2 and then faded after that. Not much to write home about after that.

Very enjoyable night, some top top action!

Plymouth looking for a number 1.

Oh wait....!

Based on tonight, I wouldn't sign him at no.7 let alone no.1

• Like 4

Barker had a bad meeting by the sounds of it, but he's been consistent (to the extreme) 8 pointer before this and on updates they said his bike sounded terrible.

Reports of Glasgows demise are premature, but the good thing is hopefully our chums from the east will come through for the sky meeting if they think they have a chance. Newcastle, Sheffield and Somerset are the best teams in this league so I'm not getting too upset.

However, as predicted if one of the top four doesn't turn up we are in bother.

Be fair though, putting a team together with a top 4, is always going to leave you wanting at the other end. If one fails it normally means curtains.

The other end of Ayres, Garcia and Lunna are inexperienced riders who are finding their way. The top 4 are experienced riders who have to make the bulk of the points and like you say if one isnt at the races the whole team suffers.

Last Sunday I listened to the TM's pre-match interview where he said we were going to these two matches looking for points such was the confidence in the team. Talk like that creates expectation but the cold reality is that we may not be as good as the hype suggests, at this moment in time anyway.

The other end of Ayres, Garcia and Lunna are inexperienced riders who are finding their way. The top 4 are experienced riders who have to make the bulk of the points and like you say if one isnt at the races the whole team suffers.

Last Sunday I listened to the TM's pre-match interview where he said we were going to these two matches looking for points such was the confidence in the team. Talk like that creates expectation but the cold reality is that we may not be as good as the hype suggests, at this moment in time anyway.

Slightly disappointed with Lunna ,though he would score better.
  • Like 1

Thought it was a decent meeting with a few good heats. The track got terribly dusty towards the end with it billowing up over the clubhouse area.

Heat 13 and I couldnt understand why Lawson was angry. Seemed a fair move to me.

Heat 15 was excellent from Starke. Thought it was a nailed on 1-5 but he had other ideas and blitzed the two tigers. Great race.

Have to say Wilson Dean was good as was Allen. Glasgow had no backup to their heat leaders and Barker was woeful. The reserves after heat two also were not at the races.

Good crowd, met Paulco, and as usual great chips!

Well people said this match should have been on sky - and it's a crying shame that it wasn't. What a meeting this was. It literally had everything. Fantastic racing, a close score line or 2/3 of the match, handbags from Lawson and then heat 15 which will probably go down as the race of the season even this early in the season!

Tungate, Starke and Wilson-Dean were just sensational for Somerset. The 5-1 from Tungate and Wilson-Dean when they both passed Lawson was top drawer and the real match changer. Toys out the pram from Lawson in heat 13 when Tungate wound it on and dived under him into turn 1. Classic speedway so I don't know what Lawson's problem was there - especially as he made the same mistake again in heat 15 leaving a big hole on the inside this time for Paul Starke to go from a mile back up the inside of Lawson and run Worrall up to the fence and win in sensational fashion. Last to first. The progress Starke has made from a 3 pointer when we first signed him to world class last to first wins in heat 15 is brilliant to watch. Jake Allen was right on it too. Our top 6 is so solid and the only last place again on the 15 heats for them was Jake Allen in heat 15 when the match was already won.

For Glasgow, well, they promised so much at the start and didn't deliver anywhere near that potential come the end. Jesus Christ what has happened to Ben Barker? I have never seen him so poor. His only point was a tussle with Zak. Painfully slow and looking desperate, and then only finished two races. Piss poor from him. Typically Worrall rode better than he ever seemed to for Somerset. Lawson looked fast when he gated, and not so much when he didn't. Spat his dummy out when he got done by Tungate, but that was just hard speedway. Garcia looked like he had something about him in heat 2 and then faded after that. Not much to write home about after that.

Excellent summary of the nights events.

One thing to mention is that Ben Barker is going through some personal problems at the moment. It's amazing the bloke is able to compete in a meeting at the minute such are the issues he is up against.

Good crowd tonight and momentum and interest seems to be gathering with the locals, with this in my opinion, the most exciting side Garry May has ever put together. Certainly unearthed a couple of diamonds in Jake Allen and Bradley Wilson-Dean.

Good to see Lawson and Tungate shake hands in the pits after their clash in heat 13, where Rohan was hard but fair on the Tiigers number one.

Edited by EnglishRoundabout
  • Like 1

Glasgow have had good results at home and adulation from the fans.

But we expect the same away from home and can turn quickly if we suspect a lack of effort from individuals.

Edited by george.m

One thing to mention is that Ben Barker is going through some personal problems at the moment. It's amazing the bloke is able to compete in a meeting at the minute such are the issues he is up against.

Good crowd tonight and momentum and interest seems to be gathering with the locals, with this in my opinion, the most exciting side Garry May has ever put together. Certainly unearthed a couple of diamonds in Jake Allen and Bradley Wilson-Dean.

Good to see Lawson and Tungate shake hands in the pits after their clash in heat 13, where Rohan was hard but fair on the Tiigers number one.

tell us when throughout his speedway career has ben barker not had personal problems or issues,has there ever been a time? shame because the guy has so much talent that seems to of been wasted.

I am afraid, In my opinion Lawsons behaviour towards Tungate at the completion of Heat 13 was disgusting and the fact he shook hands with Rohan in the pits means nothing to the supporters who didn't witness that gesture ! He behaved like a spoilt kid who had been deprived of his sweets ! He let Speedway down, Glasgow Tigers and their traveling supporters. He was beaten squarely, fairly and spectacularly and if he can't take it like a man he just as well pack it in. GROW UP LAWSON !!!

Edited by Aroundtheboards

tell us when throughout his speedway career has ben barker not had personal problems or issues,has there ever been a time? shame because the guy has so much talent that seems to of been wasted.

If the "personal problems" are related to those detailed in his interview in the Glasgow vs Edinburgh programme of 3rd April, then I can appreciate why this would impact on his on-track performances.

There are more important things in life than sport and this certainly would be one of them.

I hope that there is positive outcome for Ben & his family and suggest that he is given credit for continuing to ride under such stressful circumstances.

• Like 2

Somerset v Glasgow Photos http://ihitchcock.zenfolio.com/somerset_v_glasgow_pl_2016

Slideshow http://ihitchcock.zenfolio.com/somerset_v_glasgow_pl_2016/slideshow

Great meeting both sides very entertaining pick of the bunch Hts13 & 15

Thanks for the photos !!! You can see it was a brilliant, exiting, hard but fair meeting !!! Well done !!!