British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Comet Dan

Workington V Somerset Plkoc 14/5/16 7pm

You getting the Somerset bug as well jenga? :)

It sure is - I'm happy to admit and I don't think I'm alone in this, that I never expected this team to be as good as it's turning out to be. But not only is it just winning, it's probably the most entertaining team I can recall us having and that takes into account the year we had Grajczonek, Doyle and Morris too.

We've been lucky that Brad + Jake have settled in quickly and exceeded expectations (riding above their assessed averages), whilst Zach is mixing it and popping up with some very good rides in recent matches (beating Covatti and winning heat 2 last night). Stand out has to be Wilson-Dean though, who has been nothing but short of sensational around the OTA so far.

• Like 2

You getting the Somerset bug as well jenga? :)

i dont know about the somerset bug , more like a flu bug standing out in the cold in these early season meetings . would love to see a meeting without being all wrapped up like a christmas present .. maybe in august we will be able to enjoy meetings in our summer clothes .

I think what iv seen of workington so far our tail is way to long. Campton has to go imo

cant off load campton as he is classed as a new rider and has come in on an assessed average . (i think he was averaging over that , maybe not now ). teams are not allowed to drop assessed riders this season .. maybe less kebabs and junky stuff will do him good . come on mason , show us what you can do ... we know you can do better ..

another honest post by me .....

What happened to Bradders? His bike and helmet is a right off...engine seized?

he was trying hard to pass matt wiliamson in heat 8 i think it was maybe too hard

either clipped his back wheel or just over cooked it on 4th bend

His engine seized, and the bike stopped so quickly, that it snapped his forks, and gave him a real hard fall into the air fence.

This extract comes from the match report sent out today on the Somerset website:

Heat 8 almost spelt disaster for Somerset when their flying Kiwi reserve Bradley Wilson-Dean came to grief in a big way on the final bend when challenging Workington’s Matt Williamson for the lead, Wilson-Dean’s engine seizing on him, the suddenness of this causing the front forks to snap, sending him careering into the air-fence.

Thankfully, after some on-track attention, Wilson-Dean was able to get to his feet and walk back to the pits, but it was a different story for his bike, which was looking decidedly the worse for wear, with a bent frame adding to what will be a hefty repair bill for the young New Zealander.

• Like 1

i dont know about the somerset bug , more like a flu bug standing out in the cold in these early season meetings . would love to see a meeting without being all wrapped up like a christmas present .. maybe in august we will be able to enjoy meetings in our summer clothes .

cant off load campton as he is classed as a new rider and has come in on an assessed average . (i think he was averaging over that , maybe not now ). teams are not allowed to drop assessed riders this season .. maybe less kebabs and junky stuff will do him good . come on mason , show us what you can do ... we know you can do better ..

only the kocup so no need to put the big fat zeroes into to quirky worky average converter and masons shiny new 5+ average is unaffected.

Jenga you got a fever or something;

carry on like this and we will make you a honorary worzel ; keep it up

We've been lucky that Brad + Jake have settled in quickly and exceeded expectations (riding above their assessed averages), whilst Zach is mixing it and popping up with some very good rides in recent matches (beating Covatti and winning heat 2 last night). Stand out has to be Wilson-Dean though, who has been nothing but short of sensational around the OTA so far.

Bradder's reminds me of when Lee Adams first burst on the scene at Reserve for Swindon.

Different riding styles...but same determination it seems.

Really pleased for Starkey very unlucky to lose his place at Poole, he's going mad. Be out to ruffle a few feathers at Poole on Wednesday.

Bradder's reminds me of when Lee Adams first burst on the scene at Reserve for Swindon.

Different riding styles...but same determination it seems.

Aye, to be fair to him. Doesn't give in. Got to hand it to Jake though, averaging 6.5 away from home on tracks he hasn't seen before so we've hit the jackpot compared to other riders who've come over this year.

• Like 2

i think a small amount of the blame has to fall with the fixture list and how it pans out . why start the season in march , have a few meetings and then (we) have a 3 week waiting time for our next meeting at home and now (at this moment in time) we dont have one the following Saturday .

is there that much of a rider shortage that at a certain time in the season our riders are riding for different clubs . speedway is a summer sport , so lets start it in the summer season and compact it into an Adrenalin powered blast . keep all those gp qualifiers ect for the top guys and let the pl and nl get on with entertain g fans . fans in big coats cant get excited abut the sport , all wrapped up like a mommy .

still trying to be nice .

Our fixture list seems to pan out like, every now and again for the first three months then all hell lets loose for the last three, come the business end riders are either injured or burned out and we end up polishing wood instead of metal? :D

why cant speedway be like football , have regular meetings on regular days of the week ?

whoops , hang on . football , regular ? maybe not . lets stick to the guessing game called the fixture list . at least you know whats coming, or do you ?

why cant speedway be like football , have regular meetings on regular days of the week ?

whoops , hang on . football , regular ? maybe not . lets stick to the guessing game called the fixture list . at least you know whats coming, or do you ?

Weather permitting!! ;)

Our fixture list seems to pan out like, every now and again for the first three months then all hell lets loose for the last three, come the business end riders are either injured or burned out and we end up polishing wood instead of metal? :D

workington will work with other teams to fill gaps but other teams dont seam as keen to return the favour

we have switched to acomodate berwick's tv date on a monday but the fixture we were told was waiting for berwick confermation this saturday has now turned into a pairs meeting just to fill the gap

Well done to Somerset , the better team won on the night, not a good start by the Comets, 2-4, 2-4 then 1-5! Not helped by two engine failures in heat 3.

Yes bit of a stop start season regarding fixtures which is not very good for fans or riders, seems to be the way with a lot of teams though? Not helped by a few rain offs too.

Not sure if the late organisation of a pairs meeting will attract many casual fans though?

Still better than no Speedway at all thougth.