British Speedway Forum
sparkafag

When Did Speedway Stop Being As Good As It Used To Be…

If I were a promoter I would say to my team that if they can attract more fans I'd give them a share of the extra revenue .....

I've watched some of the Polish League on YouTube and it's easy to understand why it's such a success. Ok it's the National sport but the way they do things seem (at least on the face of it) to be so much better then how we do it.

First off, they basically had to run on Sundays as when the UK was the powerhouse that was the only day they could use. But they have made it work for them. The consistency for fans, knowing WHEN they can watch their sport EVERY WEEK is a great thing. They can fit it into their routine.

Secondly they have invested heavily in the next generation and their stadiums. So that has resulted in them being able to watch the best in the world mixed with a lot of home grown talent - that are good enough to compete with the very best, unlike the Brits.

Lastly, the presentation is just so much better and so much slicker. Even down their race suits being distinctive from the opposition.In comparison I saw a clip of Belle Vue vs Swindon where all you see is 4 riders in every race wearing Red Black & white. If you were new how could you tell the teams apart? Do the clubs not think to talk to each other at the start of the season and come up with a solution for this? A small thing I know, but yet another example of British Speedway and how those in charge dont think..

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 2

Age. Everything seems more intense and more important when you are younger. Consequently, everything is not as good as it used to be. When you are a kid and your football team loses it is the end of the world. By the time you are in your thirties you shrug your shoulders and get on with your day,

Difficulty to attract a younger crowd because in 2016 you need more glitz and glamour to stand out in the overcrowded entertainment market.

You are so right, the age of the crowd adds to the lack of crowd interaction, you also get the young people now who won't cheer cos it's uncool lol

We need to bring back mob mentality, get a couple of people start heeding and blowing their airhorns and the rest will join in. If I were a promoter I would rope in people in parts of the crowd to be my mob 😆

I've watched some of the Polish League on YouTube and it's easy to understand why it's such a success. Ok it's the National sport but the way they do things seem (at least on the face of it) to be so much better then how we do it.

First off, they basically had to run on Sundays as when the UK was the powerhouse that was the only day they could use. But they have made it work for them. The consistency for fans, knowing they can watch their sport is a great thing. They can fit it into their routine.

Secondly they have invested heavily in the next generation and their stadiums. So that has resulted in them being able to watch the best in the world mixed with a lot of home grown talent - that are good enough to compete with the very best, unlike the Brits.

Lastly, the presentation is just so much better and so much slicker. Even down their race suits being distinctive from the opposition.In comparison I saw a clip of Belle Vue vs Swindon where all you see is 4 riders in every race wearing Red Black & white. If you were new how could you tell the teams apart. Do the clubs not think to talk to each other at the start of the season and come up with a solution for this? A small thing I know, but yet another example of British Speedway and how those in charge dont think..

The promoters don't have to try hard during the meetings though, the fans just arrive with the right attitude, wanting to make noise, cheer and wave flags for their team. They've nearly all had a lager or two before the meetings to put them in the mood ....

You are so right, the age of the crowd adds to the lack of crowd interaction, you also get the young people now who won't cheer cos it's uncool lol

We need to bring back mob mentality, get a couple of people start heeding and blowing their airhorns and the rest will join in. If I were a promoter I would rope in people in parts of the crowd to be my mob

The promoters don't have to try hard during the meetings though, the fans just arrive with the right attitude, wanting to make noise, cheer and wave flags for their team. They've nearly all had a lager or two before the meetings to put them in the mood ....

Bring back 'Soldier Boy!' He certainly used to stir things up!

• Like 2

First off, they basically had to run on Sundays as when the UK was the powerhouse that was the only day they could use. But they have made it work for them. The consistency for fans, knowing WHEN they can watch their sport EVERY WEEK is a great thing. They can fit it into their routine.

Lastly, the presentation is just so much better and so much slicker. Even down their race suits being distinctive from the opposition.In comparison I saw a clip of Belle Vue vs Swindon where all you see is 4 riders in every race wearing Red Black & white. If you were new how could you tell the teams apart? Do the clubs not think to talk to each other at the start of the season and come up with a solution for this? A small thing I know, but yet another example of British Speedway and how those in charge dont think..

So why have their attendances reduced by as much as two thirds at some tracks? They used to be the number one sport in Poland but these days they don't get anywhere near football.

• Like 1

Bring back 'Soldier Boy!' He certainly used to stir things up!

I certainly remember him! What a character. The unscripted 'debates' between him and Ole Olsen were pure comedy gold.

• Like 1

So a long time after the decline had begun and of little relevance.

Do you have to be so sharp nothing changes😠funny on the years gone by thread there is never any hassle i wonder why??😆 Edited by Sidney the robin

So why have their attendances reduced by as much as two thirds at some tracks? They used to be the number one sport in Poland but these days they don't get anywhere near football.

Just going by what I've seen and what the riders say...

Do you have to be so sharp nothing changesfunny on the years gone by thread there is never any hassle i wonder why??

You have a short memory Sid.Wasn't it only last week that you misread a post by the Doc and lost your rag??? :P

You have a short memory Sid.Wasn't it only last week that you misread and post by the Doc and lost your rag??? :P

Hands up and i admit when i am wrong said I was sorry.You well your personal vendetta against Gustix you can hardly spin yourself off as a saint eh!😅
  • Like 2

I certainly remember him! What a character. The unscripted 'debates' between him and Ole Olsen were pure comedy gold.

Remember when he had a heated argument with Garry Middleton at Cowley in 1972 and 'Cassius' invited him over to continue the 'discussion!' It all revolved around the Second Half Final (bring back second halves) in which Garry was the last man standing after Ted Hubbard had taken out Ray Wilson much to the annoyance of said 'Soldier Boy!'

This all happened next to me much to my amusement!

Think,as Bwitcher has already pointed out that the actual standard of racing is still very good,it is just the whole feeling around the sport that it isn't very important any more because of the medias lack of enthusiasm and the lack of crowd enthusiasm....

Whilst I agree to that, I also think the perception of those who attended, and still attend, has been changed with time and their own circumstances. How many youngish people attended in an era, and the excitement and the company they were with made for a unique experience in sport. Maybe they met new friends, met future wife/husband, travel to other tracks for Mini tours, joined the supporters club joined in their activities, etc. Maybe 30 or 40 years on these attractions are no longer there, and they now stand with a group of similar circumstances and views they all hold. They are all full of MEMORIES in a difference time and place, and as we know, the racing is still racing and just as exciting. Yesterday was raw, developing and simple. These days it is different with more professionalism, as you would expect all sports to do, in an attempt to try and meet legal requirements and the perceived requirements of a crowd now older, wiser and having more expectations.

• Like 4

Whilst I agree to that, I also think the perception of those who attended, and still attend, has been changed with time and their own circumstances. How many youngish people attended in an era, and the excitement and the company they were with made for a unique experience in sport. Maybe they met new friends, met future wife/husband, travel to other tracks for Mini tours, joined the supporters club joined in their activities, etc. Maybe 30 or 40 years on these attractions are no longer there, and they now stand with a group of similar circumstances and views they all hold. They are all full of MEMORIES in a difference time and place, and as we know, the racing is still racing and just as exciting. Yesterday was raw, developing and simple. These days it is different with more professionalism, as you would expect all sports to do, in an attempt to try and meet legal requirements and the perceived requirements of a crowd now older, wiser and having more expectations.

Agree 100%.

What the sport has failed to do unfortunately is to attract the attention of enough younger fans in order for them to create a fresh set of 'memories'.

• Like 2

when the gp started

Continuity was lost and tracks had to juggle their fixtures to fit around the GPs.

• Like 4