British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Malc Holloway Never Forgotten.

Bit late i know, was thinking about him on the third but anyway Malc wouldn't of minded.Four years gone still miss him and him not being at the Abbey everyweek is not the same god bless Malc never forgotten.

• Like 6

Remember him riding for Oxford in 1977.

RIP

With Pip Lamb and Richie Caulwell Steve is that right.?

Yes Sid! Crumbs! Richie Caulwell...there's a blast from the past! If I recall he was primarily a grasstracker who tried speedway. Quite spectacular to watch but drifted away from the sport.

Wellie is still fondly remembered and still very sadly missed in the speedway world. A proper character with a huge personality, he may not have reached the heights of some riders, but speedway is a poorer sport without his involvement.

• Like 6

Malcolm was quite a nice guy. i booked him to guest for the Diamonds in a key Cup meeting at rivals Hull at Hull, in about 2001. He was not on a guarantee but after 3 poorish rides, and Will Lawson at reserve doing canny, he asked to be dropped from his forth ride 'to give the young lad an extra ride'. Name one rider that would do that now. I always acknowledged Malc when I saw him after that.

Used to watch Malc at Swindon and then go to his pub to watch all the speedway, a great character and was always up for a good laugh.

He had many funny stories about his speedway trips and adventures.

• Like 1

Great bloke, down-to-earth and funny, had some good chats at his boozer the Jovial Monk. At least they have a road named after him on the new Blunsdon Meads development opposite the pub he ran.

• Like 3

Remember three meetings in Malc,s career that really stick out for me qualifying at Birmingham in the WCSF with 11 points getting to the BF in 82. Scoring a 12 point maximum v Sheffield beating a brilliant Shawn Moran twice then a meeting for Reading in the mid eighties at the Abbey.In the meeting Malc had been poor scored three from reserve in heat 13 there was a tape exclusion he came in he gated like a long dog (Kilby style) 😀😀and beat Crump/Petersen/Shirra? typical Malc he could gate.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

So sad to think that the two most big hearted people you could ever wish to meet, Bob Kilby and Malcolm,both had heart trouble.

I believe, if you knew nothing of speedway and you met either of them you'd have to check it out.Still very much alive in my heart 'n'

head.

• Like 2

So sad to think that the two most big hearted people you could ever wish to meet, Bob Kilby and Malcolm,both had heart trouble.

I believe, if you knew nothing of speedway and you met either of them you'd have to check it out.Still very much alive in my heart 'n'

head.

Did not Know Bob well what a bloke he was, a real nice bloke met him through Malc.Once i met him then i was young ( i am 50 now) he always had time for me said alrite kid everyweek made time a proper persons person genuine has you come Malc well was Malc. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Did not Know Bob well what a bloke he was, a real nice bloke met him through Malc.Once i met him then i was young ( i am 50 now) he always had time for me said alrite kid everyweek made time a proper persons person genuine has you come Malc well was Malc.

Only 50, should'nt you be on the junior forum?!! I'm lucky(?) to be old enough to have seen Bob's earliest track appearances

including after the meeting at Oxford early '64, when Rodney Rycroft and Cyril Melville promoted for one year. No one I know

had ever met anyone like Bob Kilby before, to my mind he redefined the concept of personality, has anyone ever had a larger

one?

Only 50, should'nt you be on the junior forum?!! I'm lucky(?) to be old enough to have seen Bob's earliest track appearances

including after the meeting at Oxford early '64, when Rodney Rycroft and Cyril Melville promoted for one year. No one I know

had ever met anyone like Bob Kilby before, to my mind he redefined the concept of personality, has anyone ever had a larger

one?

Never really liked Bob riding for Oxford did not look right for me like Broady/Crash/he was Swindon through and through.Bob had a massive influence on Malc's and Roscoes career what a character he was but often what gets forgotten is just how good a rider Kilb was.

So many great memories of Malc i do wonder why no-one has thought about producing a book about him?! Problem is it could end up like War & Peace too bloody big! What a character yeah it's an old cliche but it applies to that loveable rogue that was The Mad Wellie heart of gold even if he wouldnt admit to it ,total total local legend and being from my background growing up with a lot of let's say interesting people he is right up there amongst the most charismatic'

Like Sidney i knew Malc more than Kilb just the timing really being a mite when Kilb was in his pomp but plenty of evenings at The Office (Wheaty) road trips snuck in his van getting a freebie and a few alcohol consumed parties only proved to me what a bloke he was...on the other hand there was a serious side to him his dedication and loyalty to his employer his time for the young riders and generally his generosity to anyone around him, what a massive loss he has been to so many people. Kilb and Wellie , Wellie and Glanzie two great double acts.

• Like 1